Author Topic: My new to me Raven Tour  (Read 3475 times)

Oldboybob

My new to me Raven Tour
« on: October 18, 2021, 07:33:27 pm »
Hi There,

This is my new to me Raven Tour. I have had a Sherpa before and always hankered after a Raven with a Rohloff. I made a round trip of 560 miles on Saturday to pick this beauty up. I sourced some Schwalbe Hurricanes (they will do until I can find some Duremes) locally very cheap and fitted them to replace the far too skinny Gatorskins that were on it.
It came from a really nice chap who's eyesight was failing and included all luggage and extras.
Really pleased with it and plan to get some miles in very soon.

PH

Re: My new to me Raven Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 08:51:43 pm »
Thay looks to be in exceptionally clean condition, do you know the age and usage?
Not that it matters, they're built to last.
Hope it's everything you want it to be.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 09:22:54 pm »
Wonderful bike.
Welcome to the elite part of the Thorn club.
The Raven Tour section.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Oldboybob

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 09:23:24 pm »
Thay looks to be in exceptionally clean condition, do you know the age and usage?
Not that it matters, they're built to last.
Hope it's everything you want it to be.

Thank you, the guy I bought it from looks to have bought it new in about 2011-2012. It has only been used very lightly and maintained by a ex Team GB cycle mechanic, it was on slicks and looks like it has never seen rough roads, possibly spent most of its life light touring.
The guy I bought it off Steve was an absolutely fantastic and genuine character who unfortunately had to sell due to deteriorating eyesight.

Oldboybob

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 09:26:48 pm »
Wonderful bike.
Welcome to the elite part of the Thorn club.
The Raven Tour section.

Thank you very much, I am very pleased with it.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 02:19:56 am »
Looks great.

Those handlebars are REALLY high.  You might want to experiment with some different heights.

I see a quick release on the seatpost.  In my part of the world, that is a good way to lose a nice Brooks saddle to a thief.

You will need some bottle cages and a pump to make your bike look like it is being used.

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 12:35:32 pm »
Those handlebars are REALLY high.  You might want to experiment with some different heights.
Perhaps start by getting an adjustable stem so you can do some experimenting.

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 01:15:25 pm »
Depending on his age and the condition of his back, those handlebars look just right for someone old enough to be losing his sight who rides only on tarmac. An ergonomic thought: if you'll ride on different roads, some of them rougher than the original owner's choice, you don't want your back at exactly 90 degrees to mother earth because every little shock will be rippled right up your spine. But, if you want to sit upright, a very few degrees of bend at the base of your spine will be enough to protect your spine and the muscles down your back which operate your arms. The suggestion above about buying an adjustable stem to determine which elevation and angle suits you best is solid gold.

Looks like a very thoughtfully specced bike. And beautiful in black. Congratulations on snapping it up.

John Saxby

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 08:31:12 pm »
Nice-looking bike indeed, Bob -- well done!

My Raven has a 2012 frame #, and I bought it in the winter of 2013/14, so you may have one of the last Raven Tours made.

As for the bars being too high:  it depends...  My Raven is set up so that the bar clamp is about 6 cms above the nose of the saddle. My bars are Velo Orange randonneur drop bars, which have a nice upward-and-outward swoop. When I ride with my hands on the outer portion of the bars, a few inches behind the hoods, my hands are about 8 - 10 cms above the nose of the saddle.  That means my back is at about 75 degrees; and when I lean over to reach the drops, they're easily accessible at approx 60 degrees. I originally thought I'd use the drops manly to deal with headwinds, but I've found, over the years, that with this geometry, I often use the bars just for variety -- there's no strain involved at all.

An adjustable stem allows you to play around with All That, for sure.

In any case, enjoy your new bike!

Oldboybob

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 07:59:09 pm »
So I removed the steerer extension and added some bottle cages to the Raven. Height now feels a lot more natural and will give it a good shakedown ride this weekend.
Mixed up a few silver and black steerer spacers as I didn’t have enough of of one colour  :D
I think it looks ok and a bit better than it did.

mickeg

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2021, 03:22:25 am »
I have intentionally mixed silver and black steerer spacers on almost all my bikes.