Author Topic: Raven for sale in Wisc USA on Ebay  (Read 1895 times)

mickeg

Raven for sale in Wisc USA on Ebay
« on: October 16, 2021, 12:32:35 pm »
Not mine, just saw the listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274978998260

One of the photos shows the Rohloff serial number, I am guessing that it is a 2012 or so based on the number.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Raven for sale in Wisc USA on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 02:35:10 pm »
Sure rare to see these used in the US, George. Thanks for the general heads-up.

Best,

Dan.

hendrich

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 03:27:48 pm »

One of the photos shows the Rohloff serial number, I am guessing that it is a 2012 or so based on the number.
I'm interested. The standover height 31" seems incorrect for the stated seat tube of 47 cm. I'm 6'3". Is this a smallish frame size? Also, appears that the cranks/BB are not original, true? US $1100 seems reasonable if in good shape.
Mike

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 11:08:33 pm »

I'm interested. The standover height 31" seems incorrect for the stated seat tube of 47 cm. I'm 6'3". Is this a smallish frame size? Also, appears that the cranks/BB are not original, true? US $1100 seems reasonable if in good shape.
Mike

Are you in USA?  If so, contact the seller through Ebay.  If you are not in USA, shipping and customs duty could cost you a lot wherever you are.  There is no VAT in USA, so prices in USA might look low if you are in UK or Europe.

If you are new to Ebay, in this case there is only one bid.  Therefore the bid amount shown is the amount that the seller started the bidding, that one bidder might have bid much more.  The winner of an Ebay auction is the highest bidder and they pay a bit more than the amount that the second highest bidder bids. 

That is a very high shipping cost, if I was bidding I would ask why the shipping cost is that high.  If they are shipping to a USA address, Shipbikes or Bikeflights should be much cheaper.

If Dan can find the old brochure on that model, you could figure out the size from the geometry measurements that the seller listed.  Or, you could ask what bike size it is.  If the seller does not know, ask the serial number as that number usually is similar to the size. 

The top tube length listed suggests to me that it is an L size, long for flat bars.

Regarding size, the headtube photo with the headbadge looks like the headtube is about the same length or slightly longer than the headtube on my 590M Nomad Mk II, but the slope of the top tube would control the length of head tube for a given size. 

Several hours ago I sent the seller a message through Ebay asking what the rims are, I have no response yet.  I am curious if they are CSS rims.

The cages look like Bontrager, which is owned by Trek, that tells me that the bike might have been built up from the frame within the USA and not by SJS.  But, the rear rack looks like a Thorn rack, which would suggest maybe it was built by SJS?  Thus it is hard to say if it was built by SJS or not.  My point is that if you look at my Sherpa and at my Nomad Mk II, both of which I built up from the frames, probably only the rims on the Nomad Mk II are the same thing that SJS would have installed.  I bought the rims for the Nomad at the same time I ordered the frame from them.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 03:50:11 am »
...If Dan can find the old brochure on that model, you could figure out the size from the geometry measurements that the seller listed....
The attached size matrix for the Thorn Raven should do the job....  ;)

[From a 2018 Thorn Mega Brochure]

Best,

Dan.

hendrich

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 02:48:41 pm »
Thanks, the listed numbers are closest to the the 530L, a medium sized frame.

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 04:58:54 pm »
Bidding ends in less than three hours.

The seller never answered my question on rims.