Author Topic: Submerged  (Read 4746 times)

UKTony

Re: Submerged
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2021, 06:48:21 pm »
I’ve carried my Nomad II a number of times on roof racks. On one occasion at the end of 50 minute drive mostly on motorway on a dry day the driver noticed a small deposit of oily looking substance on the car roof below the rear wheel.
I speculated that it could be hub oil sucked out by air pressure during the high speed drive, chain lube ( unlikely because I was using Dry Lube) or a mix of grease and hub oil from the  external gear mech box.
Never found the answer but the operation of the hub was unaffected.

steve216c

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2021, 08:05:00 am »
I've just noticed that in the manual it states that the Rohloff  shouldn't be on a bike rack & driven for long periods  in the rain  ?  ...

Perhaps that part of the manual was written from the bike enthusiast perspective and not from a technical standpoint?

1) The Rohloff should not be on a bike rack: Of course it shouldn't. You paid all that money for the luxury of a great bike with a superb IGH, so get it off the rack and go for a ride.
2) The Rohloff shouln't be... driven for long periods in the rain: Obvious really. The Germans DRIVE bicycles. That is the verb they used and translated literally. You'll never enjoy 'driving' your bike when you are getting a soaking. So wait till the weather improves and go for a ride then.

Basically, this is just an appeal to ride your bike more often  ;D
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

Andre Jute

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2021, 09:11:09 am »
I've just noticed that in the manual it states that the Rohloff  shouldn't be on a bike rack & driven for long periods  in the rain  ?  ...

Perhaps that part of the manual was written from the bike enthusiast perspective and not from a technical standpoint?

1) The Rohloff should not be on a bike rack: Of course it shouldn't. You paid all that money for the luxury of a great bike with a superb IGH, so get it off the rack and go for a ride.
2) The Rohloff shouln't be... driven for long periods in the rain: Obvious really. The Germans DRIVE bicycles. That is the verb they used and translated literally. You'll never enjoy 'driving' your bike when you are getting a soaking. So wait till the weather improves and go for a ride then.

Basically, this is just an appeal to ride your bike more often  ;D

"It isn't a bug. It's a feature." -- Bill Gates