Author Topic: Brooks Cambian B17 cutout  (Read 1405 times)

tyreon

Brooks Cambian B17 cutout
« on: October 09, 2021, 05:11:10 pm »
I bought one. Not too sure if I like it. Have two B17s in leather and can ride them sans padded shorts;can ride all day,and no problems. This Cambian cut out seems a harsher ride and looks like it wont be adapting to my rear. What are others thoughts and experiences. I rode out on the Cambian t'other day sans padded shorts and came to regret it. With padded shorts might be a better experience. Still,I am non too sure about about it. I would like to be ready to take a tour abroad,but wonder if I were to take it I might live to regret it. Advice or experience?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Brooks Cambian B17 cutout
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 05:30:11 pm »
Thanks to the kind and much appreciated thoughtfulness of a friend, I have a Cambium C.17 with the cutout top. I have Brooks B.17s on all my bikes except for this one, fitted to my 1970 Raleigh Grand Sports (essentially a relabled Competition from back in the day...apparently this sometimes happened before the bike made its regular catalog debut in the same color scheme two years later).

The cut-out Cambium certainly does feel different to me, mostly due to the materials and construction. It lacks the natural suspension and hammock effect of the B.17 and is firmer and less forgiving. I also do not expect it to shape to my bottom over time as the leather saddles have. For its intended purpose on this bike, this is okay.

I have found Brooks B.17 Standards (now labeled "Classic" on the box sitting next to me) in leather to be made thinner, more flexible and to last less long for my use in recent years, so have switched almost entirely to the "Special" model that uses a thicker cut of leather and skived sides. I'm picky about my B.17s. I don't mind them shaping to me but I really prefer they maintain a largely domed shape under the sit-bones for as long as possible. The ones with thinner leather tend to indent more there and quickly -- sometimes as soon as 500kms -- and then form a raised center ridge I do not get along with. The Cambium will surely keep this "as new" shape longer and so should be long-wearing for me in my use on this bike (enough qualifiers there? ;) ), which has a long wheelbase and a comfortable ride, offsetting the saddle top's greater stiffness. So far it is okay on the Raleigh and I seem to have found the perfect match between the saddle and that one bike, but it would not be my choice for 300-400km days. I find I do also miss the smooth top that makes it easier to squirm around and find a slightly different position after 200kms.

Over the years, I find I have not generally gotten along so well with cutout tops. Whatever they are trying to accomplish seems to be offset by the greater "ring of pressure" that is left.

So...some data points for triangulation.

I hope you'll find a good result and match in the end.

Best,

Dan.

PH

Re: Brooks Cambian B17 cutout
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 08:41:03 pm »
I don't have a cut out model, but I do have of four solid top, all weather versions, of the C17's and have had and destroyed two of the prettier but less robust canvas top original C17's.
Previously I was riding B17's, my experience of them was they started out hard and uncomfortable, hit a sweet spot after 1,000ish miles, remained that way for a year or two, say 10,000 miles, then stretched to the point of becoming even less comfortable than originally.  I gave up almost as soon as the Cambian's were released, I applied for and didn't get a trial version before they went on sale.
I find the Cambian's not quite as comfortable as B17's at the perfect part of their cycle, but not far off and they're like that out the box till the day they break (Though the all weather versions are not showing the same signs of wear) I do most of my riding without padded shorts, though do use them, regardless of saddle, if it's likely to be a tough day with little time off the bike. I can't remember when I last wore them, some time pre pandemic.
Having said that, do you instantly know when a saddle is right?  I'm currently doing about 300km a week on an e-bike, which still has the stock saddle.  I meant to change it when I got it about eight weeks ago, but didn't get round to it and have just realised, while writing this, that I no longer think about it. OK it's a different sort of riding and rarely more than 5 miles without getting off, but still, there's certainly been some adaptation.