Author Topic: Schwalbe Dureme Cracked  (Read 4614 times)

martinf

Re: Schwalbe Dureme Cracked
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2021, 12:57:51 pm »
Hi Martin,

What do you think about the Schwalbe Big Apple? 26 x 2.15" for 615gr of memory.
It is not slick as the Supreme and relatively light.

Always in a spirit for ride in all condition, rough and asphalt roads, wet and dry weather..

According to the Schwalbe website the Big Apple 26 x 2.15" in the "Performance" line is 710g, not bad for a wire bead tyre. Heavier at 920g in the "Active" line, and probably less durable as well.

I've not had much experience of Big Apples, just got the 20" x 60 mm version on my trailer, where it is much better than the old moped tyres I had before.

To me, it looks relatively fragile compared to the Supreme and Dureme. The slick tread of the Supreme doesn't bother me, grip seems pretty good wet and dry on tarmac, and I'm not sure the Big Apple will do any better off road, except on loose surfaces like sand where the extra width of the 2.15" will help a bit. There is also a 26 x 2.3"/60 mm version of the Big Apple, which should do even better on loose surfaces if it will fit under your mudguards (it should fit OK in the Nomad frame and forks), the weight of this one is given as 780g.

With my Raven Tour, 55 mm is about the maximum I could fit while leaving adequate mudguard clearance. For mainly tarmac use with not too much off-road I intend sticking with 50 mm Schwalbe Marathon Supremes while I can still get them.

If I have the chance to do a tour involving more off-road riding I will use my 50 mm Duremes. If/when these are worn out my current choice for replacement would be the Marathon Mondial if it is still available, if possible the widest that will fit (so 2.15"/55 mm if I bought them today).

Comparing 2.15" Big Apple to Mondial, Big Apple is cheaper, rolls slightly better on tarmac (4.5 as compared to 4), and weighs less at 710g compared to 865g. The Mondial is (according to Schwalbe) better for on and off-road grip, protection and durability.

jul

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2021, 08:53:30 pm »
Excellent comparative   :)

It's right Dureme is a very good tire.

About the Supreme, i'm scared on soft ground and on scree.

The Mondial is not bad but after 10.000 kms it can be square.

I'm looking for something as the Dureme (light, strong, less drag,) but with a modern design.

martinf

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2021, 10:30:05 pm »
It's right Dureme is a very good tire.

Yes. Thats why Thorn had a batch specially made after they were discontinued

About the Supreme, i'm scared on soft ground and on scree.

The Supreme isn't dangerous on soft ground, it just means you have to get off and push a little bit sooner than with a tyre that has MTB type crampons (or is wider). On scree or rocky tracks, IMO the problem is possible damage to the sidewalls.

The Mondial is not bad but after 10.000 kms it can be square.

Maybe replace when it gets worn enough to affect handling ?

I'm looking for something as the Dureme (light, strong, less drag,) but with a modern design.

I don't think there is anything currently available in the 26" size that combines the strength/light weight/low rolling resistance of the Dureme. The new range of Schwalbe tyres is mostly either 27.5" (= the old 650B/584 size) or 29" (= fat 700C/622 tyres). 

The Almotion I mentioned in one of my messages on 12/11 is more "modern" than Supreme and Mondial, but although you can still find some stock it has been discontinued in the 26" size in the 2021 catalogue.

Looking more closely, the Increvable site still has two variants of the Almotion in 26 x 2.15. At a price.

This one is probably an older model, the tread looks rather like the Dureme. Increvable says it weighs 740g, so allowing for the 55 mm width, in between Dureme and Mondial:
https://www.increvable.com/26x2-15-pneumatique-schwalbe-marathon-almotion-hs453-dynamic-casing-26x2-15-etrto-55-559.html

This one is probably more recent, the tread is different. Increvable says it weighs 815g, so quite close to the weight of the Mondial in the same width:
https://www.increvable.com/pneu-velo-touring-tl-easy-schwalbe-marathon-almotion-dynamic-casing-hs453-26x2-15-etrto-55-559.html

jul

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2022, 05:01:15 pm »
I bought Supreme tires (26X2") because they seem a good option for my use and safe on the wet condition, also discontinued by Schwalbe.

But if i'm planning to ride more on the rough roads, i've seen this tires by Surly, looks a good option as well to compare with the Marathon Mondial or the Dureme.

https://www.bike24.com/p2373564.html

Possible to get 26x2.5"
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 11:50:35 pm by jul »

martinf

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2022, 09:59:22 pm »
Hi Martin,

What do you think about the Schwalbe Big Apple? 26 x 2.15" for 615gr of memory.
It is not slick as the Supreme and relatively light.

Always in a spirit for ride in all condition, rough and asphalt roads, wet and dry weather..

The only Big Apple tyres I have are in the 20 x 2,35" size. They seem a decent enough tyre.

Using the Schwalbe information, Big Apple tyres are rated as slightly slower than Supremes, slightly worse grip on road and slightly better off road, slightly worse as far as puncture protection is concerned and about the same for durability. As they are wider than your Duremes, they should work slightly better on loose sandy surfaces.

I got a stock of Supremes in when they were dropped from the catalogue, if I hadn't I would have considered using Big Apples instead for mainly on-road riding with some use of paths and tracks.

I now have 26 x 2.15" Mondials on one of my utility bikes. In the Evolution line with Kevlar beads, these are rated better than Supreme and Big Apple for everything except rolling resistance, where they are slower than both. If I was intending to do a tour with a lot of off-road riding or needed exceptional reliability, these would be my choice. But they are expensive and heavier than the Big Apple. And like Dureme and Supreme, they are no longer in the catalogue, although a couple of French websites still have stock. They were still in the 2022 catalogue in the slightly smaller 26 x 20" size last time I looked, but not sure if that is the Kevlar bead version or the cheaper wire bead version, which isn't rated so well for puncture protection and durability.