Author Topic: Over trousers  (Read 4172 times)

martinf

Re: Over trousers
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2021, 07:56:57 am »
When I use overtrousers for cycling, which isn't very often, I have the old version (2011) of this:

https://theomm.com/product/kamleika-pant-2/

Not so baggy as a lot of overtrousers designed for walking, and a bit stretchy. It works reasonably well for me in fairly cool conditions and/or for reasonably short rides, but must be combined with decent overshoes, otherwise the rain runs off the trousers and soaks shoes/socks. In the same conditions, a Paramo Quito jacket works reasonably well for the top half, this has lots of zips which can be opened to provide ventilation to get some kind of compromise between getting soaked from rain or getting soaked from sweat. But if it isn't too windy I prefer a lightweight cycling cape, which provides better ventilation and generally keeps the rain off my body down to the upper thigh level.

In warmer conditions "Rainlegs" over cycling shorts, with bare lower legs work better than overtrousers for me, as I build up too much sweat under any waterproof layer, even Goretex. If I know in advance that I will be riding in moderate to heavy rain I have an old pair of leather cycling shoes with a lot of holes punched in the uppers (maybe for lightness, maybe for aeration), which I wear without any socks. 

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 11:19:46 am »
For colder wet weather legwear I've got some Altura ~£40 overtrousers which do a good job in keeping the rain out without my legs getting sweaty (but they don't generate much heat). They are combined with either some winter walking boots or some Eager waterproof overshoes (they seem to now be discontinued but are excellent because they open completely at the back and thus can be put on very quickly) over lighter footwear. For warmer weather I've got the rainlegs although these seem best for heavy rain on an otherwise dry day. I've therefore invested in some Endura MT500 shorts which I can wear for a whole ride when the weather is drizzle or showery and the wet gradually soaks through anything which isn't waterproof. If the weather is warm or hot then it's just sandals on my feet and if it's a bit cooler then it's waterproof socks in sandals as I don't like cold feet. In fact, the waterproof socks works nicely in sandals in cool dry weather as they stop the windchill. If it's really tipping down with rain there's the risk of water getting into the top of the socks but such conditions merit extra protection using either the overshoes or the long overtrousers.

On the subject of jackets I've been impressed by this one https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/endura_mtr_shell_jacket-ID_70871. It's done a good job of keeping out rain and is sufficiently breathable to wear for a whole ride although it's lightweight and easy to carry. Plus it's a hi-viz colour which is a basic requirement for my cycling tops.

julk

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2021, 08:10:21 pm »
Which one? Quito?
in4
Sorry, I bought them a long time ago and don’t remember the model name
They were the first lightweight ones available.
Julian

ourclarioncall

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2021, 07:06:40 pm »
I just ordered 16 pairs of craghopper trousers from next for me and my son to try 😂

Not 16 different models , as there is a few different sizes of the same model

Some are waterproof some aren’t . It’s been really eye opening to try them as they all surprisingly different

I also bought a pair of Berghaus trousers to try

So now I have 3 pairs of craghoppers and one berghaus . Just testing them out. Some have a belt with them, some a bit of elastication around the waist and another super elastics. Not sure how they will do for cycling but they are very comfy . More designed for hiking with lots of pockets and some with less.