Author Topic: Nomad - frame number  (Read 1769 times)

R Bailey

Nomad - frame number
« on: September 20, 2021, 01:21:07 pm »

Good afternoon

Advice please. In order to insure my new Nomad Mk 2, I need to locate the frame number. Have looked underneath the BB but can't see any registration/frame number. Anyone know where I can locate and record this please?

thanks in advance

Russell

in4

Re: Nomad - frame number
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 08:11:34 pm »
Sounds unusual but perhaps it’s on the invoice you received from SJS. Give them a call if necessary. Lovely to see a photo of your Nomad BTW. Here’s mine, with cake!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 08:20:39 pm by in4 »

PH

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 08:21:50 pm »
I haven't had a Nomad, but on the three Thorns I have had, it's been around the edge of the BB shell, non drive side, facing forwards, the frame size, followed by several digits - I'm assuming this is a unique frame number, though it's possible it's a batch or manufacturing identifier. To be sure, I'd give Thorn a ring.  My insurers haven't asked for any, not all modern bikes have them.

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 10:12:26 pm »
My Nomad Mk II has it under the bottom bracket, but the paint is thick enough that it is hard to read.  Look there.

If you look really hard at my photo, you can see that there are numbers there, but they require some focus to see.  They run side to side, between the eccentric screws and the downtube.

Side note:  The rubber bands are to keep the screws from falling out if one gets loose.  One got loose several years ago and it is such an unusual fine thread that it would be hard to replace.

I just checked, my receipt from SJS does not include my frame serial number.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 10:16:35 pm by mickeg »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 10:57:54 pm »
A good tip re rubber bands, Mick.
You mentioned it some years ago and I immediately copied it. And I'm sure it saved a screw loss for me.
Re the frame number; you have better eyes than me. I can't see a thing there.

Best

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 12:11:12 am »
Lets try another photo.  This was my frame when I first received it and had not yet anything attached to it.

This photo gives you a better idea where to look on your frame.

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 12:39:18 pm »
If you struggle to see the number then ask Thorn who keep a record of frame numbers (and Rohloff hub numbers) of all bikes sold.

My Mercury's number is as described by PH (no surprise since he has a Mercury or two) and I highlighted the digits with an indelible pen before taking a photo for my own record and also make them easy for others to see should the bike go astray. (I've further spoiled the bike's appearance with a Bike Register code on the crossbar).

mickeg

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 05:03:32 am »
If you struggle to see the number then ask Thorn who keep a record of frame numbers (and Rohloff hub numbers) of all bikes sold.

Somewhere on this forum, Dan started a Rohloff register of serial numbers.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 06:03:01 am »
Somewhere on this forum, Dan started a Rohloff register of serial numbers.
Yes! Good memory, George. :)

The topic is here...
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3788.0

Best,

Dan.

R Bailey

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 08:27:21 pm »

Thank you - I'll have a closer look tomorrow in daylight - if not, I'll ask Thorn Cycles

appreciate all of your knowledge share

RonS

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 01:21:55 am »
Try rubbing a pencil or chalk ( depending on your paint colour ) across the bottom to fill in the depressions of the characters to highlight them. It works on all the detective shows!
Good luck.

R Bailey

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 10:09:52 pm »

Thanks all - found it under the bottom bracket - quite hard to read but I have it now so will go to Bike Register.

Really appreciate the knowledge share on here