Author Topic: Lowering gearing  (Read 2588 times)

tyreon

Lowering gearing
« on: August 19, 2021, 01:24:14 pm »
Just purchased a Dawes Duchess. To be used for shopping and as unattractive to would-be thieves. Step thru.

The gearing is 12 -32. But I would like like lower for hills,weighted shopping, and increasing old(e)age.

Is there some cassette 14 - 34? Looked, but cant see any. And if such a cassette could be found,would it need a new lengthened chain for the set up? I have only had the new bike some 2 months.

Its operable and functionable at the moment,but I like to have a spare sprocket available.

Whats with the high gearing on most town bikes? I cant work it out. By loose reckoning I should be doing 20mph on the smallest sprocket. In town riding my max would be 14 mph!!

I need to be beneath 60 again, or Chris Hoy or Chris Froome. Sedate or modest is my speed. If not,slow.

JohnR

Re: Lowering gearing
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 02:11:54 pm »
Wouldn't fitting a smaller chainring be an easier solution? However, looking at this https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/dawes-duchess-2020-womens-bike the chainring appears to be integrated with the cranks which makes it more expensive than a simple chainring swap.

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 04:27:55 pm »
Is there some cassette 14 - 34?

Don't know the Dawes (beyond the name), sorry.  But, I use an 11-34 Shim Deore 9-spd cassette on my day-rides derailleur bike. (Bought mine online a couple of years ago -- not sure of their current availability.) Linked to a 22-34-46 at the front, it handles steep hills quite well.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 05:28:11 pm by John Saxby »

PH

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 09:58:15 pm »
If it's the bike John links to, 7 speed cassettes don't go very high, I think there's 34's available, might even be 36's, but even the 36 is only going to drop the gearing by around 15%, it isn't a lot if you're struggling.  A baby chainring, like this 33T one (Assuming the BB it ST), would lower the gearing by around 30%, but you'll be a bit restricted at the top end.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainsets/33-mwave-alloy-single-chainset-with-170-mm-cranks/

The gearing on these bikes isn't designed for Chris Froome, it's designed for those who get off and push on the hills.

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 03:11:22 am »
Agree with JohnR.  You need a smaller chainring, which probably means a different crank, and that might mean a different bottom bracket.

If you just bought it, can you return it?  Or are you locked in to this one?

tyreon

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 09:04:53 am »
Thanks for all replies. Much appreciated.

Plan to stay where I am at the moment. But better informed.

Strange to say,I'm sorta now settled. Later, will look into changing the chainring.

Again,ta.