Author Topic: Are bikes custom built in the west better than Thorn bikes?  (Read 6573 times)

martinf

Re: Are bikes custom built in the west better than Thorn bikes?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2021, 02:08:07 pm »
So far (at 65 years old) I have had one "bespoke" bike frame, at age 20.

Not truly a custom build, I went to the builder's shop, they measured my inside leg and suggested their "Giro" frame would be suitable. So apart from the choice of seat tube height, the frame dimensions and tube set were standard for their Giro range. The only non-standard braze-ons were the cantilever bosses.

Otherwise, I chose the parts to be mounted on the frame, taking the builder's advice for some and insisting on some things that went contrary to his advice, for example the 28/45 double chainset. I came back to the shop to collect the completed bike after the delay of several weeks required to build the frame, get it painted, source the parts, then assemble the bike.

So pretty much the same as when ordering a Thorn:  a fairly standard frame chosen in a range of different models, then customised to fit with stem, bars, seapost/saddle and crankset/pedals.

I still have that bike (only the frame and forks are original), but don't use it very often nowadays as it is set up for derailleur gears. With the advent of reasonably reliable 8-speed hub gears and the Rohloff I now use hub gears most of the time. That wasn't an option in 1977 for a bike used for touring in hilly areas, at that time hub gears were limited to the standard Sturmey-Archer 3 speed, or, with searching, maybe try and find an FW 4 speed or one of the early Sturmey-Archer 5-speeds. 

Then as now I don't think I would have got something better from a truly custom frame, as I didn't (and still don't) know enough about the various factors involved. To me it makes more sense to ask the supplier which model of frame would work best for my intended use, and then get measured so that the supplier/builder could choose the right size. Thorn in 2011 were more thorough with this "fitting" step than my "bespoke" builder in 1977.

PH

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2021, 03:35:40 pm »
Please do not conclude that my non-response is concurrence with your opinions, we obviously disagree on the importance of bicycle geometry and whether or not one-size-fits-all design is appropriate.
I'm sorry that you seem to have taken offence, but I'm certainly not dismissing the importance of frame geometry, rather trying to explain it's limitations and where it's relevant.  The idea of a scalable design fails when all sizes have to accommodate the same diameter of wheel. So for example if you relax the seat tube angle, as is often the case on a larger size frame, you have to lengthen the chainstay to maintain the clearance between wheel and frame, the designer hasn't necessarily decided that a longer CS is better in itself, they've had no choice.  Exactly the same when the BB is lowered, it's one edge of a triangle, the chainstay has to be longer for the wheel to remain in the same place... and so on.  Take the Mercury as an example, it's the one I know best and have the brochure for - there's roughly a 13% increase in TT length between the smallest and largest frame, yet only a 2% increase in CS length, by the time you take into account the 2 degree slacker ST, it puts the hub almost exactly as far behind the saddle on both. That isn't a matter of my opinion, that's what the designer of Thorns bikes has done!
I've seen the CS referred to elsewhere as the rear fork, that might be a useful comparison, though it's over simplistic. It's length doesn't vary much for the same reasons that the length of a front fork doesn't, it's constrained by other factors.

There's an absolutely fascinating book about this, Touring Bikes: A Practical Guide: Tony Oliver. It's thirty years old so some of the ideas are a little dated, but the principals remain the same and I'd recommend anyone interested to see if they can find a copy.

Moronic

• Amazon.com Bongs For Steve ebook
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2021, 12:14:08 am »
There is some interesting comment here in this long interview with Daryl McCulloch, who built the oversized lugged bike in red that I posted earlier.

https://veloaficionado.com/blog/darrell-mcculloch-from-llewellyn-custom-bicycles-spills-the-beans-on-how-he-got-started-building-custom-bikes

Takes a long time to get to it but he does outline some of the thinking behind the low-temperature brazing. It's under a subhead that asks: "What's the advantages of using silver instead of brass when brazing?"

Its worth a read for anyone interested who doesn't already have an answer. In summary, he says that using the lower temps sufficient for silver minimises distortion of the tubes, which means the frame is more likely to remain accurately aligned after it's welded. That in turn means there is less need to bend the tubes into alignment after they cool.

The implied bit is that the tube work-hardens when you bend it cold, or cold-set it in the jagon of the trade. The builder says that when some tubes have been cold-set and others haven't, they flex at different rates under stress and this affects handling.

I find that plausible. It's interesting too that this custom builder seems transparent about his processes. There is probably no way we'll ever learn about how much cold-setting happens when Thorn frames are built in Taiwan - unless Andy B jumps onto the forum from retirement, and even he might not know.

Then again, cold setting is an extra step, so you'd think a top-tier Taiwanese builder would have his own ways of keeping that to a minimum. Plus, Thorn is using tubing that's developed to handle TIG welding.

I know there are various threads around the internet where builders debate these things. However I doubt Taiwanese builders post on them, and in English.

The other side of this, as some of you have observed, is that the Mercury frame is a single product developed over many years. And the attention to detail is high. McCulloch makes a lot of his using stainless steel for the frame ends and many of the braze-ons, and the Mercury frames are encrusted with stainless fittings. At the very least we can say you get a lot for your money.

Time to go for a ride!  :D

Bongs For Steve: a lyrical novel about smoking and friendship. https://www.amazon.com.au/Bongs-Steve-I-J-Baker-ebook/dp/B0B2BRTKM2

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2021, 05:11:01 am »
In summary, he says that using the lower temps sufficient for silver minimises distortion of the tubes, which means the frame is more likely to remain accurately aligned after it's welded. That in turn means there is less need to bend the tubes into alignment after they cool.
Agreed; there is no doubt the lower temperatures used for silver brazing result in less heat put into the tubes and undesirable results, but there are many other factors that also affect post-braze alignment.

Some of these include brazing sequence, fixturing, technique/experience and tubing and filler composition, even flux (brand, type and water content for mixed powder types or whether the builder uses a gas-fluxer). All affect the amount of time heat is applied to a joint and any undesirable resultant consequences.

I can share some firsthand thoughts on the subject because I've been a hobbyist framebuilder over the last 27 years or so. "Hobbyist" means I build solely for myself and not others, partly because here in litigious America one really needs to be well insured against liability if you build a frame to sell -- even give -- to others. I remember reading about one case here where someone built a frame for a friend who eventually sold it on. The buyer got distracted and rode it into a parked car, incurring injuries. He had no desire to sue anyone but his insurer went back through the line of succession and sued the builder in an attempt to recover their payout for medical bills and were successful in it. The original builder was unable to prove a negative and refute the insurer's claim that faulty workmanship -- though unproven -- might have been contributory and had to sell his home to pay the court-ordered judgement. When my frames are no longer useful to me, they are scrapped so they cannot be used by others, limiting my liability and responsibility to only myself.

I currently own 15 bikes. I am of average dimensions for my age cohort in the US, so all the ones I have purchased have been used or new production frames that fit me well (and identically) with only minor adjustments in stem reach and seatpost adjustment. The frames I have built were not available commercially and have included full-suspension, small-wheeled Folders and recumbents. Unusual angles mean they are comprised mostly or wholly of fillet-brazed joints that use/require higher-temperature bronze/brass as a filler because lower-temperature silver does not build the large fillets necessary for lugless construction.

It is hard to beat the economies of scale and overall accuracy of mass-production frames that are backed by generous warranties. These come out overwhelmingly well-aligned and can generally be counted on to hang together for the covered warranty period. There have been some notable quality exceptions I will avoid mentioning here by name, but it is in the interest of large-scale makers, their insurers, and their dealer networks to have their frames be well-aligned, hold together, and be safe for the buyer/end user. Historically, the vast majority of brazed large-scale steel production frames have been joined with lugs and brass filler. Over the last 35 years, this method has been largely superceded by TiG welding which requires little/less/virtually no post-join cleanup of the joints, making it a more efficient form of mass production. To better withstand the greater localized heat (welding actually melts the steel tubing at the joins, where brazing melts the filler), tube butts are adjusted in length and thickness and tubing alloys are optimized for the methodso they are more heat-tolerant.

All my own frames were accurate to within a measured 0.1mm (my standard for what I considered "spot-on") in all dimensions upon cooling and required no post-braze cold-setting or alignment. This was due to careful mitering and layup, my heat-compensating fixturing and my brazing sequence that ensured the tubes did not pull/distort to one side or another. Despite long, hard use, none cracked or broke. All of my practice joints held up to destructive testing -- the tubes failed before the joints when clamped in a vise and beat on with a hammer or levered on -- and the same for the completed frames.

Quality tubesets are not cheap. Back when I began, a really nice tubeset started at USD$300 and the "fiddly-bits" -- bottom bracket shells, brazed-ons and droputs could easily add as much to the cost if they were limited-production investment cast items. One of my Folders used a vintage Phil Wood-produced unbutted elliptical tandem keel tube as the main frame spar, a very rare tube even then and I paid dearly for it. It gave me fits because it was not symmetrical in cross-section, causing a lot of headaches in mitering and fixturing but ended up perfect for the application.

Because my framebuilding was a hobby and tubesets were expensive, I tapped a friend who owned a used-bike shop for crash-damaged frames so I could harvest the good sections of high-quality tubing from production bikes. What a surprise to find some well regarded, high-quality framesets were made very poorly at the lugged joins. Because I built my unusual frames with lugless construction I didn't need lugs, so I used my electric bandsaw to cut the tubes in the still-butted end sections just outside the lugs to I could see if the builders achieved full braze penetration at the lugs. Some bikes did not use mitered/fish-mouthed tubes! Instead, the tubes were either cross-cut square at the ends or the tubes were mechanically bent/dented into rough "v"s to better approach the mating tube inside the lug, leaving the lug walls as the sole bridge between tubes(!). One frame had what looked like a paint flaw at the edge of the lower head lug' it turned out to be the end of the downtube, barely inserted before brazing. For those who haven't built frames, it is desirable to have joints that are mitered so carefully to be nearly light-tight before brazing so capillary action can draw the heated filler into the join. Despite these flaws, the original owners regarded these as some of the best riding bikes they'd owned.

At the other end, not every custom builder gets it right. A chiropractor friend of mine contracted for three custom randonneur frames from three different builders, some of which had placed well at shows. All had glaring flaws for which the buiders were loathe to take responsibility. She asked me check them with my laser alignment rig and in my fixtures. One had a fork badly out of alignment with one leg longer than the other at the crown. When she complained the builder grabbed a fork off a show bike, repainted it poorly and shipped it to her badly packaged with resultant shipping damage. Another failed to leave the proper clearance/didn't dimple the ends of the seat- and chainstays so she was unable to shift into her top cassette cog. Yet another made expensive custom racks that when mounted conflicted with the tops of the tires. She finally found a builder who not only accommodated her need for a transporter/bakfiets, he did a stellar job and was accommodating and pleasant with no need for redress.

In general, you can buy a production bike off the floor in the moment but must be prepared to wait for a long time -- months to sometimes several years -- for a true custom from a top builder in high demand. Some premier US builders have effectively closed their books to new orders as they have enough business to keep them going until retirement.

I live in Eugene, Oregon USA where some high-quality framebuilders have located as well as two factories, formerly three: Co-Motion, Bike Friday, and (in the past) Burley, who made my tandem. I've toured each of their facilities a number of times and always gained from my interaction as they generously shared their design, build philosophy and even methods. Rob English succeeds Les Lunas as the premier individual/contract painter in the area. Gary Hale for many years built exquisite fillet-brazed touring frames and then recumbents in his human-powered factory. Bruce Gordon built out of his home not far from me in the late 1970s/early 1980s and generously and graciously spoke to the touring classes and groups I led professionally for awhile. Before relocating to the midwest, Eric Estlund was a well regarded custom builder here under the Winter Cycles name. Just two hours north of me, Portland boasts a huge number of custom framebuilders and production parts suppliers including Chris King (of headset and hub fame).

With all these high-quality framebuilding resources available to me locally (and no customs duties or international shipping required), I chose Thorns because they most nearly met my needs and were well built. I'm happy with my choices and the company and would someday like to add an Audax to my stable. Yes, I could "build" a similar frame but for the price and finish, Thorns suit me well for a ready-made product and even with machines, framebuilding really eats up the builder's hands over time. My longterm de Quervain's tenosynovitis means I pay a painful price for any finish work and it has become less and less worth it compared to a readymade solution as time passes.

There's a lot to fitting a bike to the rider's needs and form even when oneself is the builder and end customer. I have learned a lot over the years from owning and riding a variety of bikes, but never more than when I designed and built my own and could see and experience the results of even small changes in geometry and dimensions. There is so much to consider beyond fitting the rider to the "contact points" that can change the feel of a completed frame and the ride is also affected by component choice, tire section width and pressure and weight distribution both unladen and fully loaded (if a tourer). Cycling style is important too; some are high-effort pedal mashers while others are low-effort/high-rev spinners.Each makes different demands in a frame and loads it differently, needs best addressed with different tubing diameters, even frame sizes within a fitting range. Proper rider fit is paramount. Cycling is a repetitive-motion activity so getting it wrong results in a painful, unpeasant experience or injury with extended use. I don't like pain and over time learned how to adjust my bikes to address the things that hurt me so I can ride 300-400kms/day without suffering undue misery or incurring an injury. Over time, I've come to believe one of the most important dimensions affecting handling and bike feel is trail -- a dimension affected geometrically (head tube angle combined with fork rake) and by tire section size/width/sidewall height. For more on the topic, see: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4245.msg19567#msg19567 Overall wheelbase, front center and stay length are important too, especially for toe and heel clearance with tires, mudguards and panniers.

In the end, experience and preference determine what one seeks in a bicycle and how happy you'll be. Cost is a factor as well and we're fortunate most people can get a good, comfortable fit with careful selection of frame size/dimension and adjustments made through handlebars, stems, seatpost positioning, crank length and Q-factor/tread. Fitting mass-produced accessories like aftermarket racks and bottle cages is often "good enough" to tailor the bicycle to individual need. Beyond that and fitness for intended purpose and workmanship, we have Art. It is a quality to consider but one can pay dearly to fulfill a vision that is quite apart from function. My beloved Fixie cost me $20 for the now 51 year old handmade frame and nothing for components I drew from my parts bin and a set of used wheels gifted by a friend. My Enduro-Allroad bike frame was sourced as a slightly dented and badly scratched complete bike from a reputable pawn shop and is also equipped with spares from my bin and a choice of two Thorn Sherpa Mk2 forks (depending on whether I desire low-trail or neutral-trail geometry). Another bike's original randonneur frame was custom built to my dimensions by a builder in Japan. It is gorgeous with semi-transparent five-stage paint applied over full chrome and finished with hand-applied coachlining...and the vertical rear dropouts are misaligned by 1mm, an error I corrected by machining and bonding in a custom titanium shim so the wheel will track correclty between the brazed-on centerpull brakes. My tandem was bought used, sound but battered. I made, brazed and TiG-welded the pieces I felt it needed and painted it fully to look like new. Before long I'll modify it further to take a Rohloff in place of the current 3x6 derailleur drivetrain. While I might notice and would surely appreciate the aesthetics and craftsmanship of a top-level custom version of each bike whether made by me or someone else, I doubt I could achieve better function in any of them and for that reason, I'm happy to keep what I have. In contrast, some of my friends have achieved their goals by "commissioning" some truly lovely frames that have seen a fraction of my use and mostly end up decorating the walls of their lounges. It's all good and I'm thankful bikes can be as individual as their owners.

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2021, 11:24:44 am »
Decades ago when only the cheapest utility bikes were welded, the medium to better quality bikes were all lugged frames, the term silver soldering was used when using silver on the best frames, not brazing.  The medium quality frames were brazed, I do not recall if with bronze or brass, but it was copper based and not silver.   

I have an early 1960s Italian frame with Columbus tubing that was silver soldered, or at least I assume it was silver as when I stripped the paint off for re-spraying there was no bronze or brass color anywhere on the lugs.

Reuel

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2021, 03:34:29 pm »
Thanks for the very informative post Dan. Those who like very flexible / noodley frames, are probably better off going to a custom builder, as most off-the-shelf frames are fairly stiff.

Moronic

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2021, 12:38:31 am »
Fantastic post, Dan, and yes, hugely informative.

Given your options, experience and capability, that you have interest in adding a Thorn Audax to your stable goes a long way towards answering the question posed in the thread title.

And yes, good point you make about the art. And about where it commonly gets displayed.

I will be interested to see what happens to the Thorn catalogue now that Andy has retired. When I was ordering my Mercury about March this year, Thorn was unable to supply a 650b compatible 853 fork with the appropriate offset in gunmetal, and could not supply a 61s frame in green. I was told they had reordered only Nomad frames.

Will a new designer take over from Andy? Big shoes to fill. But that's somewhat OT.
Bongs For Steve: a lyrical novel about smoking and friendship. https://www.amazon.com.au/Bongs-Steve-I-J-Baker-ebook/dp/B0B2BRTKM2

Andre Jute

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2021, 04:54:00 pm »
Will a new designer take over from Andy? Big shoes to fill. But that's somewhat OT.

It's not, you know. A Thorn bike is a distillation of Andy Blance's touring experience and knowledge expressed in those special tubes he ordered to be able to fit everyone and at the same time make a touring bike that was pleasing as well as functional to ride for almost everyone. In a sense it is also his wu, the (spiritual!) good luck that comes with deep immersion in a craft.

That's not to say that Robin Thorn shouldn't get part of the credit for the conducive general milieu he has created at SJS, for discovering Mr Blance and giving him space to grow, perhaps even to make an expensive mistake or two in the beginning*, but in my opinion, wearing my hat as a manager and developer of creative people rather than an artist and a decent person, Mr Thorn should have offered Mr Blance enough money and flattery to keep working until he dropped. Not very nice, perhaps, but then all great managers are at least part-psychopath.

Bicycle designers of genius are not penny a dozen, are not interchangeable, and are unlikely to arise often because it just isn't a glamorous or well-rewarded or even gratifying (there are too many historical restrictions built in) profession. It is why the truly radical bikes, like Marc Newson's S-shaped foamed aluminium Biomega bike, are almost always designed by outsiders. It is also why designers of actually good traditional bikes (rather than ones that merely look right, which in my opinion are the majority) usually don't come out of design school but are generated organically from the open road and the shop floor, as Andy Blance was.

Your average Thorn customer is just lucky that he doesn't have to consider these esoterics -- I mean, wu? -- because he has lucked, usually by word of mouth, into a good bike, but there surely is a place for such intangibles in a discussion at the level of this thread.

* I once ripped off a copywriter from someone else's shop and when the copywriter took me to lunch on his brand new unlimited expense account, he shoved the plate with his Platinum card and the bill across the table to me and said, "Would you mind signing for me." I'd hired, for a dollar more than the US president was paid, a copywriter who was dyslexic. It may not have cost me my job, because in the perspective of the business I generated it was a cheap error, but I would have been a laughingstock up and down Madison Ave.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 04:55:40 pm by Andre Jute »

Moronic

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2021, 11:38:57 am »
Okay Andre, from that reply I'll take an answer of sorts to the question that closed my original post on this topic.

I may be naive, but if I am then i've got company.

A Thorn bike is a distillation of Andy Blance's touring experience and knowledge expressed in those special tubes he ordered to be able to fit everyone and at the same time make a touring bike that was pleasing as well as functional to ride for almost everyone. In a sense it is also his wu, the (spiritual!) good luck that comes with deep immersion in a craft.

Yes its that mixture of deep and contemporary touring experience, desire to contribute, and design know-how that seems so unusual.

Thorn could likely go on building Nomads and Mercuries and selling them for a while yet. Nevertheless it was another of Andy's attributes that he kept up with the latest tech, even if he chose to adopt only some of it. A 650b Merc with an ST fork may well be the most sophisticated light tourer on the planet but that's because he adapted the frame and fork to fit 54mm tyres in Mk 3 form.

Who will oversee the next step, if there is one? Will there be a 29-plus Mercury that fits 2.3 inch tyres in 700c, or will that require a ground-up rethink and a new model name, or is it a fad and current Mercury clearances will prove to be plenty?

When you think about the commitment required to make good design calls as the tech evolves, with the lead times required to get your small order in the queue with an elite offshore manufacturer, and across a range of models, its hardly surprising the designer concluded it was time for a rest. And as you're likely well aware from experience, money and flattery go only so far. Yes you can hold someone, but if they've moved on in spirit then that might not reward you or anyone else.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 11:46:39 am by Moronic »

JohnR

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2021, 12:57:45 pm »
Perhaps Andy B reckoned that he would no longer be able to take any new designs on one of his big tours in order to verify that the bike fulfilled his expectations. The other aspect is that if there is now a family of good designs then there's not much scope for further refinement.

Andre Jute

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2021, 05:18:35 pm »
I thought that was a sophisticated question you asked, Moronic.

But I was a merely making a small point about the distinction between the off-topic and what is perhaps already implicit in such a conversation because it is generally agreed.

PH

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2021, 10:01:54 am »
I wish Andy a long and enjoyable retirement, he's earnt it.  I like my Mercury, as I may have said once or twice before  ;)
But let’s not get carried away, its bike design, not nuclear physics, no one has reinvented the wheel. The principals of bike geometry have been known for generations. What we’ve seen is an evolution of the frames, and of course the designer’s experience has influenced that.  The right choices IMO, but all within a limited set of parameters and we shouldn’t underestimate how much the market dictates.  They may still believe that 26” wheels are the best choice for anything other than a road bike, but it would have been a poor business decision to stick with it! I'd expect the next generation of Thorn bikes to be a bit different, no doubt some will say better and others will think not as good.  Like most things there’s no single right way.
There are those who think the epitome of Thorn's design was the 853 Audax. I’ve never ridden one but I suspect the experience, other than the gearing, isn’t hugely different to the Merc.  I frequently ride with someone who has a pre Rohloff Nomad, they’ve no intention of changing it, they’ve lost out on those improvements since, but I doubt they feel they’re missing much.
The Raven wasn't the bike for me, but when it was released, it was the only OTP Rohloff option in the UK, at a price that made the continental options look vastly overpriced, with a unique 90 day trial offer.  I didn’t dislike it, I know how much others like theirs so there’s no criticism, it just didn't suit me, though it taught me a lot about what I did like and influenced my bike choices since. It wouldn’t have gained popularity if it hadn’t been well designed, but what if it had been a slightly different design? I’d have still bought it.
The Mercury is the bike for me, it ideally suits the riding I use it for, more so than any other bike I've owned. That's also the sort of riding I enjoy the most, long days in the saddle, sometimes with enough luggage for a couple of days away. So, I’m happy to say it’s my favourite bike. However, that's also quite a narrow range, more so than most of the bikes I've owned.  IMO that's the compromise, it could have been designed as more of an all rounder, or to a lesser extent built up as one, but more would have been lost than gained.
Be interesting to see where Thorn goes over then next few years, but I have no doubt they’ll continue to evolve.  Good luck to them.

martinf

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2021, 08:40:03 pm »
There are those who think the epitome of Thorn's design was the 853 Audax. I’ve never ridden one but I suspect the experience, other than the gearing, isn’t hugely different to the Merc. 

My reasoning when I got my clearance Raven Sport Tour frame was that it wasnt hugely different to the Mercury (the latter was at the time limited to 700C tyres). The most obvious difference on the Raven Sport Tour frame being the 26" wheels. Both frames were designed for long day rides and lightly-loaded touring. I did a "light" build on my Raven Sport Tour frame to favour day rides as I also have a Raven Tour for lightly- to quite heavily-loaded multiple day touring.

The "epitome" of Thorn's design depends on the type of cycling one does, plus a lot of other things. An Audax wouldn't really be suitable for my sort of riding, not enough clearance for 32 mm tyres (or bigger) and mudguards.

I'm not sure if the current simplification of the Rohloff range into 2 basic frames (Mercury and Nomad) is a good thing, ten years ago there were 3 basic choices (Mercury, Raven and Nomad). Maybe the expanded options now available for forks, wheel diameter and tyre width give enough fine tuning to cover the "Raven" gap in the current range.

PH

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2021, 09:17:24 pm »
The "epitome" of Thorn's design depends on the type of cycling one does, plus a lot of other things. An Audax wouldn't really be suitable for my sort of riding, not enough clearance for 32 mm tyres (or bigger) and mudguards.
I'd agree with that entirely and you're right to put it in " "
For some it will be the Cyclosportif and others the EXP, for me it's the Mercury.
However, I do notice quite a few Mercuries come up for sale second hand, maybe proportionally more so than the other Thorn models and often described as little used.  I sometimes wonder if the buyers have misunderstood the bike they were getting. 

PH

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2021, 09:24:49 pm »
Last word from me on the subject (If you're lucky  ;))
Reynolds have long had a reputation for dealing with frame makers and offering custom tubing, I don't know the scale when that becomes viable, somewhere between the one off builders and the mass producers, but that's a wide range.
Just seen this posted elsewhere, another manufacturer's sales buff, though you may find it interesting, if nothing else for the photo glimpse inside the Reynolds factory.
https://fairlightcycles.com/inside-fairlight/reynolds/?v=79cba1185463