Author Topic: Does your bike have a name???  (Read 28644 times)

hoogie

Does your bike have a name???
« on: January 12, 2004, 02:02:22 am »

My Trek 520 is named "Elway" ... when I bought it in Colorado Springs, I was told it was a nice shade of Bronco Blue, and John Elway was the QB back then ...

My new Thorn Nomad has got one yet ... but front runners are "not@work", "nazgul"
Nazgul being the big black winged beasts in Lord of the Rings, and the sound my Avid Shorty 6's make when pressed hard are about the same sound as a Nazgul makes!

my new recumbent ended with 'oddzilla' ...

cheers hoogie
timaru/oamaru, new zealand
http://www.hoogie.co.nz
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 12:25:37 am by hoogie »

Pedaldog

Re: Does your bike have a name???
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 06:45:24 pm »
Thorn Nomad is known as Wurzel as he is the Big Tourer = B.T, = telecom = Wurzel Gummidge and the magic telling bone.
All of my bikes and trikes have names. Some of them make some sense!

Istanbul_Tea

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 09:30:03 pm »
My vintage Trek 520 is "Too Tall Jones" and my wifes Bridgestone 400 is "Blueberry".  Ahhh, the joys of silly things!

Cephas

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 02:51:54 pm »
My black Nomad is Night Stalker.

NSDQ

Coliny

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 07:15:59 pm »
Our Thorn Adventure tandem is called holly (she's green)

James

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 11:02:04 am »
I call my racer the No.1 Girlfreind!!

Team Triplet

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 05:37:09 pm »
Just to resurrect the topic I have used operatic names:

Brünnhilde is the name of our main tandem.  The current Brünnhilde is the second one.  Brünnhilde is one of the Valkyrie, as in Wagner’s Ring Cycle.  The Valkyrie carry the souls to Valhalla, ie heaven.  If riding tandem is not heaven what is?

Siegfried is the name of our second tandem, low back tandem, named again from Wagner’s Ring cycle.  Brünnhilde gave up immortality to marry Siegfried.

An old half bike of mine was called Turandot – from Puccini opera of that name.  The legend was that Turandot tortured her lovers.  And if riding a 1 in 4 hills isn’t torture what is?

For our dearly departed triplet we called her Mikado, as in “three little Dee’s”

Rather then stick with the name of BOB for our Yak, Senior and Junior management named her Yasmine.

I have yet to decide on a name for my new baby, but one has 3 weeks after the birth to register the birth and name!

Pedaldog

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 06:57:12 pm »
Wurzel has moved on. Mondo (The black and cream Nomad) is still with me though and this time he WILL STAY!

rdbdickson

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 12:52:08 pm »
Mine's a WAAP bike - Wing and a Prayer.  So far, that prayer has always been answered!

ahconway

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 02:09:35 pm »
We waited for our little girl to be born before deciding on her name, but I've already come up with a name the Raven AT I just ordered...

See http://www.sjscycles.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=383.

Frenchie

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2005, 11:42:28 am »
My 2004 red Thorn Raven is called "RedSquare", in reference to its colour and rough/solid attributes... of course. Love the bike by the way.

Steve H

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 04:26:22 pm »
I give bikes I buy new male names, ones I buy second-hand female ones.  So far, I've got:
Basil - a green 1999 Copenhagen Pedersen.
Sybil - a black 1981 Raleigh Royal Roadster, with rod brakes and a 3-speed S.A. Dynohub.
Manuel - a red 2004 Brompton T6.  The inside of the steering tube hinge looks like the face of a red devil.  Manchester United (Man U) are the red devils.  Devils live in El.  Put that together, and you get Manuel.  Having named that, I retrospectively renamed the other two on a 'Fawlty Towers' theme.

JonHammond

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 04:37:56 pm »
No.

chris

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2005, 11:32:18 am »
When we bought our Thorn Trident Triplet, our kids decided to call it 'Trevor the Triplet'. However we recently discovered that Trevor is in fact female. This was bought to attention recently when touring in Denmark when on a number of occasions locals pointed to Trevor and said 'tre saette' - Danish for Three Seats. The pronounciation of 'tre saette' sounded like Tracey. So 'Trevor the Triplet' is now known as 'Tracey the Triplet'.

sarissa

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2005, 08:17:04 pm »
I've decided my Raven Enduro will be christened Singer as it sounds like  a sewing machine in 7th gear...[:)]