Author Topic: Schwalbe Duremes 26x2  (Read 6002 times)

hendrich

Schwalbe Duremes 26x2
« on: July 20, 2021, 02:51:05 pm »
We rode 26x2 inch Duremes on our tour this year, which we just finished. Midwest US: Iowa>Minnesota>Wisconsin>UP Michigan>Michigan. A mix of roads and trails, 1800 miles. We ride a tandem and camp. No flats and the wider tires were great for the mix of conditions. I very much appreciate other peoples comments that these are one of the best touring tires ever made.

As many of you are aware, these Duremes are a special production batch for SJS. I was going to purchase more tires after the high Covid-induced shipping costs reduced, but SJS has since sold out. I have contacted SJS and they responded that they might commission another batch next year. You may wish to add you voice to encourage another production run.

Mike

brummie

Re: Schwalbe Duremes 26x2
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 08:27:51 pm »
Running a pair on my tandem too. Good all round tyres that handle most surfaces well. Not had a visit from the puncture fairies yet either (Touch wood ! )  Got a spare in waiting..

LorenzoB

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 09:52:27 pm »
Dear Hendrich,
pressing sjs not to discontinue the duremes is an excellent idea, I was going to do the same (after watching a youtube clip where the quality of the duremes was celebrated).

Who did you talk to specifically at sjs?

hendrich

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 10:14:58 pm »
lorenzo,
thanks for your interest. John from SJS said "Not anytime soon I'm afraid- maybe sometime next year?" Hopefully they will! The Duremes are awesome.

LorenzoB

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 06:46:59 am »
hi Henrich, I will send sjs an email just to convey the idea that there is market interest in such tires. I suspect the disappearance of duremes has more to so with supply problems due to covid than anything else. There is clearly a shortage of tires. And I have been waiting for the restocking of Thorn’s cranks for almost one year!

LorenzoB

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 06:47:59 am »
ups. sorry, Hendrich ;D

hendrich

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 02:30:33 pm »
Lorenzo, if I understand correctly. Schwalbe discontinued the Duremes some time ago, but SJSC/Thorn thought so highly of the tire that they had a batch made specifically for SJSC. That batch has recently sold out, and with interest in 26" fading, SJSC will think about demand before paying for another batch. Perhaps the year wait is due to covid problems with manufacturing. Nevertheless, it would be good to let SJSC know there is still demand.

John Saxby

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 04:20:47 pm »
Hey Mike, good on yer for making such a tour this year!  I envy you & Susan.  Hoping I might be able to do a mini-tour in W Québec in late Aug/early Sept.

And good luck nudging SJSC for another batch of Duremes.

I have to believe that's doable, tho' the final decision may rest with Schwalbe...

Cheers,  John 

hendrich

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 07:53:15 pm »
Hi John,
Many interesting things along the tour, including Sand Hill cranes...always stunning to see such large birds.  I have journaled some of our trips in past, but I find it tedious, perhaps cycleblaze. If we can enter Canada next year, Gaspe is in our sites again. Good luck with a tour in late August, sounds wonderful. Route Verte I presume?
Mike

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 11:11:19 pm »
A quick note on Duremes.  I have a couple Duremes that I bought several years ago, very nice rolling tire, 50mm wide.  Then later saw one on a website at a clearance price and bought one more, that one is much stiffer and slower rolling.

The first ones I got are labeled Double Defense, the slower one I bought later is labeled Tandem Ready in red print.

I do not know what the special batch that SJS got was, I did not buy from that batch. 

I am just pointing out that there have been different Duremes over time.  The "Double Defense" ones I like how well they roll, the "Tandem Ready" one was at a price that I can't complain but I am not sure if I will ever be happy with it.  I might use that on front next time I do a really heavily loaded tour on my Nomad Mk II.

I just took a photo that shows the difference in labeling.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 12:13:00 am »
I have 6 wired-on Duremes mounted to 3 bikes including my tandem and I have 2 more with the folding/Kevlar beads as take-along spares.

I like them because they roll well, last a long time, are very puncture resistant and the tread is a good all-'round compromise between lighter road slick (think: Supreme) and something heavier like the old Mondial. They also de/mount easily for me on my Andra 30/40 rims and don't require even a single tire lever for either operation.

What I don't like is the wobble present in every single one of them.  It isnt a huge wobble and doesn't make a functional difference but sure is annoying if I happen to look down while underway and see. The tread just isn't set square on the casing. The beads are fully and evenly seated so it isn't mounting error. This lack of precision on an otherwise great tire disappoints me -- so I don't look at them, just ride!  ;D

My $20 Innovative Swiftor tires (an excellent low budget choice in a 26x2.0 tire) run true as a die on the same rims.

Anyone else notice a wobble in their Duremes?

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 01:06:34 am »

I find that a handlebar bag and a fender does an exceptional job of preventing me from being bothered by such wobbles.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2021, 01:13:58 am »
I find that a handlebar bag and a fender does an exceptional job of preventing me from being bothered by such wobbles.
:D ;D ;D :D

Nice one, George. That's one of the reasons I extended the front fender/mudguard on my Nomad!  ;)

All the best,

Dan.

martinf

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2021, 07:23:27 am »
I like them because they roll well, last a long time, are very puncture resistant and the tread is a good all-'round compromise between lighter road slick (think: Supreme) and something heavier like the old Mondial. They also de/mount easily for me on my Andra 30/40 rims and don't require even a single tire lever for either operation.

Agree. But 50 mm Supremes are a tad lighter, roll slightly better on tarmac, last a long time, have been very puncture resistant so far and are also easy to de/mount without tyre levers. And though I mainly use tarmac roads, they have (so far) coped with some seriously rocky off road tracks despite their rather fragile-looking sidewalls.

So I have Supremes on most of the family bikes, keeping my Duremes in case I do a tour involving a lot of off-road riding, where they would be more suitable. I also used Duremes for survey work, which was mostly off road on paths and tracks.

My 50 mm wide Supremes and Duremes all have a noticeable wobble if I bother to look. But no noticeable wobble on the 42 mm Supremes on my wife's bike and my Raven Sport Tour.

hendrich

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2021, 02:12:48 pm »
I am just pointing out that there have been different Duremes over time.  The "Double Defense" ones I like how well they roll, the "Tandem Ready" one was at a price that I can't complain but I am not sure if I will ever be happy with it. 

George, the Duremes I have are from the special SJSC batch and are labeled "Double Defense Evolution Line" with no other markings for tandem. I also have supremes, the suppleness (is that a word?) is comparable to the Duremes. The Duremes do roll well, and quiet for a tire that can also handle trails. On tour, we are often seeking trails to ride if not an ATV path, so I appreciate the multi-surface capability.

Regarding wobble, seems that most tires with a white line tend to make imperfections more noticeable, but the function is not affected. Our Planet Bike Cascadia mudguards were great in heavy rain, low in front keeping water off my feet, and perhaps masking the wobble:)

We use Andra 35 rims, which seem ideal for 2 inch. I built the wheels since the wheelbuilders in the US do poorly with Rohloff.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 02:15:39 pm by hendrich »