Technical > Transmission

How do my teeth look?

<< < (3/7) > >>

julk:
That sprocket has another trip or two in it.
This is what a worn sprocket looks like...

PH:

--- Quote from: julk on July 12, 2021, 04:38:28 pm ---That sprocket has another trip or two in it.
This is what a worn sprocket looks like...

--- End quote ---
You win  ;D
Was that yours?

mickeg:

--- Quote from: PH on July 12, 2021, 04:06:35 pm ---Not mine, but this photo often does the rounds in such discussions, this is what a worn sprocket can look like  ;)
http://www.swedentoafrica.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_0219_960x640.jpg

--- End quote ---

From the lack of wear on the sides of the teeth, that one has an excellent chainline.  The photo I posted earlier of some of my sprocket teeth, you can see a lot of wear on the side of some teeth, that is from my chainline error.

julk:

--- Quote from: PH on July 12, 2021, 05:28:26 pm ---You win  ;D
Was that yours?

--- End quote ---
Not mine - borrowed from a young lady who rode to and across Africa.

steve216c:

--- Quote from: steve216c on July 11, 2021, 03:08:30 pm ---I am about to hit 11,000km on a flipped socket and chain. I can tell you now that my photos do not look as unworn as yours. The bike was purchased with an estimate of 10,000km on it and sprocket / chainring are looking haggard. But only the last 5k had a Chainglider and I am convinced that most of the serious wear happened before it was fitted and exposed to the elements.

I’ll post pics in the next couple of weeks when I do the service.
 Steve

--- End quote ---

No pics from me on this yet. Inspired by the photos from PH and Mick, and the desire just to push to the point just to see when things get silly, I did my oil change yesterday having just passed the 11k mark on reversed sprocket and Wippelmann Connex 808 chain, but decided to leave the chain and sprockets in situ until such a point that riding is affected by the wear on mine. My Truvativ chain ring is also due for replacement. I thought about flipping it (I don't believe the previous owner did this) but when compared with the replacement already on hand, the old teeth are getting so thin that I'm concerned that I won't get much additional use from the good side before teeth start snapping off.

My sprocket currently looks somewhere between Matt's pic and the photo Mick posted. When I reach the end of my experiment, I'll replace with brand new Truvative 42 steel chain ring, a new Connex 808 (purchased as on hand spare when I mounted the current one 11,000 km ago) and a new splined carrier with new sprocket to replace the old style sprocket still in use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version