Author Topic: Chainglider feedback  (Read 3631 times)

John Saxby

Re: Chainglider feedback
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2022, 02:54:07 PM »
It all gets so complicated, eh?

John Saxby had a more successful carve-your-own-Chainglider session, which also left a part of the chainring uncovered but more tidily than Frank’s Hebie-inspired mismatch.

In the next few days, I'm going to dress up my spiffy new Mercury (36 x 17 ring/sprocket) with my equally new but less spiffy 38T 'glider.  I expect to do some surgery at the back, where the 'glider kisses the seatstay, and will wait to see how ugly is the mismatch at the front.  Then, I'll decide whether to adjust my expectations or resort to the knife once more.

Stand by for breaking news, but don't hold your breath or postpone any rides  ;)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2022, 04:27:53 PM »
Good to hear about your plans.
I run 38/17 on my Raven Tour with a 'glider.

I can't imagine being without it after so many years.

Best

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

JohnR

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2022, 05:52:19 PM »
Super update, John, very useful, especially your estimate of 80 per cent of the benefit for half the chain coverage.
It's a guesstimate and might be on the low side. The main unknown is how much muck gets carried round on the rear tyre and dropped onto the lower part of the chain just after it leaves the protection around the chainring. There's also some splatter in the sprocket area but this tends to be quite small as demonstrated by the low rate of muck build-up on the Rohloff hub.