Author Topic: Safety check  (Read 1487 times)

KDean

Safety check
« on: June 16, 2021, 08:26:50 am »
I received my new nomad a couple of days a go ,I wet on a quick trip around the block for s quick check & everything seemed ok.Yesterday I headed out on a ride , within a couple of miles a car pulled out on me & I had to slam the breaks on & if it wasn't for myself swerving I was surprised at how long it took to stop ,On closer inspection I realized that the bell that came with the bike was under the gear leaver stopping it from being pulled in fully . So check those bells everyone ;).

JohnR

Re: Safety check
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 02:31:40 pm »
I wouldn't expect the levers to need to be pulled against the bars for the brakes to be fully applied. If this is the case then something needs adjusting.

Have you got got discs or rim brakes? I would note that the general advice is that brake pads need some heavy usage to get them to bed in (see item 7, page 6 of the Thorn Owners Manual http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornBikeOwnerManual2Web.pdf).

PaulF

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 09:42:27 pm »
My new Mercury must have been built a couple of days before yours. I checked my rear brake before my ride today and noticed that if I pulled the lever hard it contacted the dome of the bell which probably prevented full brake lever travel. I have no idea if full braking force had been reached at this point. Anyway I rotated the bell a few degrees to avoid this contact and potential problem. Note I have already ridden about 60km on the bike and had no issues - however I hadn’t braked hard at any time.

KDean

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 08:33:50 am »
For me it wasn't a case of full travel , the lever didn't quite get half way before hitting the bell dome , all working very well now though ,

KDean

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 08:38:01 am »
My new Mercury must have been built a couple of days before yours. I checked my rear brake before my ride today and noticed that if I pulled the lever hard it contacted the dome of the bell which probably prevented full brake lever travel. I have no idea if full braking force had been reached at this point. Anyway I rotated the bell a few degrees to avoid this contact and potential problem. Note I have already ridden about 60km on the bike and had no issues - however I hadn’t braked hard at any time.
the lever travel was less than half way before hitting the bell dome , all work very well now , I have a disk on the rear & I can't tell the difference between these & the hydraulic one on my other bike ,very impressed . It