Technical > Transmission

Chainglider feedback

<< < (7/9) > >>

John Saxby:
It all gets so complicated, eh?

--- Quote ---John Saxby had a more successful carve-your-own-Chainglider session, which also left a part of the chainring uncovered but more tidily than Frank’s Hebie-inspired mismatch.
--- End quote ---

In the next few days, I'm going to dress up my spiffy new Mercury (36 x 17 ring/sprocket) with my equally new but less spiffy 38T 'glider.  I expect to do some surgery at the back, where the 'glider kisses the seatstay, and will wait to see how ugly is the mismatch at the front.  Then, I'll decide whether to adjust my expectations or resort to the knife once more.

Stand by for breaking news, but don't hold your breath or postpone any rides  ;)

Matt2matt2002:
Good to hear about your plans.
I run 38/17 on my Raven Tour with a 'glider.

I can't imagine being without it after so many years.

Best

Matt

JohnR:

--- Quote from: Andre Jute on May 24, 2022, 12:55:11 pm ---Super update, John, very useful, especially your estimate of 80 per cent of the benefit for half the chain coverage.

--- End quote ---
It's a guesstimate and might be on the low side. The main unknown is how much muck gets carried round on the rear tyre and dropped onto the lower part of the chain just after it leaves the protection around the chainring. There's also some splatter in the sprocket area but this tends to be quite small as demonstrated by the low rate of muck build-up on the Rohloff hub.

Matt2matt2002:
Many thanks again to all the folks who helped me out with my squeak.

As mentioned - it turned out to be the front part of the Chainglider.

New part now fitted and quiet as a church mouse now.

I checked my stats:
Original part fitted October 2015.
24,868 miles / 40,000+ Km covered over 8 years 9 months.

The small clips started to fail and I ran it with tape holding things together for a month or so. Eventually the whole thing came apart and wrapped itself around the off side crank.

I think it's been good value and I wouldn't cycle without one now. But of course respect other folks opinions.

The rear part is quite robust and did not require replacement.

Best

Matt the Church Mouse.

Andre Jute:

--- Quote from: Matt2matt2002 on July 19, 2022, 08:51:18 pm ---Many thanks again to all the folks who helped me out with my squeak.

As mentioned - it turned out to be the front part of the Chainglider.

New part now fitted and quiet as a church mouse now.

I checked my stats:
Original part fitted October 2015.
24,868 miles / 40,000+ Km covered over 8 years 9 months.

The small clips started to fail and I ran it with tape holding things together for a month or so. Eventually the whole thing came apart and wrapped itself around the off side crank.

I think it's been good value and I wouldn't cycle without one now. But of course respect other folks opinions.

The rear part is quite robust and did not require replacement.

Best

Matt the Church Mouse.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, Matt.

That gives us a lifespan for a Chainglider of 25,000m/40,000km to shoot at.

For comparison, my first bike electrification scheme cost under Euro 500 and was seen by me in advance as a learning experience with an unknown but definite finite expiry date. I was so much satisfied that I'd made a good investment that, when the installation had to be replaced at 3500m, I bought a stronger motor of the same brand.

It's for Matt to say whether his Chainglider had a hard life, but from his reports of his tours, it clearly hasn't been mollycoddled, so some of us may be able to get more miles out of a Chainglider.

Personally, I'd be perfectly satisfied if I got Matt's 25K miles out of such a radical c50 Euro component bought without knowing precisely how it works. We still don't know how it works, hence:

I hope you haven't thrown your original, worn-out Chainglider away yet, Matt, because a question does arise: Is there any sign, except for the failure of the passive slot-and-tongue fixing scheme, that any part of the Chainglider has been worn by contact with the chain or the gears?

Thanks again, Matt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version