Technical > Transmission

Chainglider feedback

<< < (6/9) > >>

JohnR:

--- Quote from: Matt2matt2002 on March 30, 2022, 08:08:12 pm ---My UK Clarks web search does not reveal them.
Any further info?

--- End quote ---
Those sandals are evidently discontinued. The pair in the photo are my 2nd (backup in case the 1st pair suffer plastic fatigue) and were found last week in a Clarks Outlet shop - probably been lurking in the corner of a stockroom. The Clarks Outlet website lists a couple of other sandals with "wave" in the name and should have a similar structure but probably different sole pattern.

--- Quote from: Matt2matt2002 on March 30, 2022, 08:08:12 pm ---I've found that it holds water after a good soaking / cleaning.
It's as good as keeping water out - as keping it in!

--- End quote ---
Is the drain hole in the bottom of the chainring cover blocked?

Andre Jute:
Matt: With or without a Chainglider, I wouldn't wash a steel bike with a power wash. A safer way is soapy warm water applied with a bushy soft brush kept only for that purpose.

JohnR: That "drain hole" in the Chainglider is a pinhole that I expect will form a skein of water between its edges. It's a decorative feature, not a water exit. I wouldn't make it bigger either, for fear that more water would ingress than be expelled through it.

Matt2matt2002:
Yes, Andre, I never power wash. It was just a hosepipe wash. But point taken. A hand job with soapie warm water is the way to go.

Nope, drain hole was nae blocked. I think the water just hung about inside.

I look upon the 'glider as very good protection from outside muck n water. Not 100% but enough to extend my chain life ( not proven ) and my trouser leg turn ups life ( proven / verified by Mrs. Matt ).

Best

Matt

JohnR:
An update regarding the Open Chainglider which I took off a couple of weeks ago to see if the bike would go faster without it as there were times when it was feeling a little draggy. I noticed after removal that there was a small build-up of muck at one point on the inside (by the end of the screwdriver in the attached photo) which could explain the slight friction between Chainglider and chainring. As only half the chain is protected by an Open Chainglider I did apply a bit of lube from time to time. The chain itself was a cheap KMC Z1 (narrow) and proved to be somewhat filthy when given a good scrub with a chain cleaner.

I then thought I would try, for the summer, using a chainguard to provide a little protection between me and the chainring and the chain was treated with Weldtite TF2 ceramic chain wax. It ran very sweetly for a few days. However, my first outing after a trip in rain revealed that the TF2 lube had all washed off and the chain was making unhappy noises with some signs of rust. I'm not accustomed, after using a Chainglider, to having to dry and re-lube a chain after cycling in the rain. This experience highlighted that while the Open Chainglider only covers about half the chain, it probably provides 80% protection because a major source of water and muck is that thrown up by the front tyre. The spray situation was not helped by me fitting short clip-on mudguards for the summer so I've now added Brompton mudflaps https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/brompton-front-mud-flap both front and back to reduce the spray (see photo).

It's a matter of how long, not if, before the Chainglider goes back on the bike but trying without it reveals the benefits. I'm also planning to try a half link to see if that provides a suitable chain fit without using the tensioner, in which case a full Chainglider would work. Changing the 42T chainring to 41T is another option to improve the chain fit but I'm not sure how well a Chainglider designed for a 42T chainring will sit on a 42T ring.

Andre Jute:
Super update, John, very useful, especially your estimate of 80 per cent of the benefit for half the chain coverage.

--- Quote from: JohnR on May 24, 2022, 12:21:27 pm --- Changing the 42T chainring to 41T is another option to improve the chain fit but I'm not sure how well a Chainglider designed for a 42T chainring will sit on a 42T ring.
--- End quote ---

This is an interesting variation of an experiment we’ve been through before, when Hebie themselves misled forum member Frank Revelo with a claim that a 38T Chainglider is suitable for a 36T chainring. It isn’t. Frank supplied a photo of an ugly mismatch.

Putting a 41T chainring in a 42T Chainglider may be less of a mismatch but I think it will still be an eyesore and a route for inducting dirt into the chain. However, if you already have the 41T chainring, I’d be delighted to be proved wrong when you fit it up.

John Saxby had a more successful carve-your-own-Chainglider session, which also left a part of the chainring uncovered but more tidily than Frank’s Hebie-inspired mismatch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version