Technical > Transmission

Chainglider feedback

(1/9) > >>

julk:
Hi all,
I have had a chainglider on my Rohloff Thorn for nearly 9 years.
I fitted it on a Rohloff 99 chain with some Rohloff chain oil added.
I do between 1 and 2 thousand miles a year now, it was more in the past.
I decided today was the time to take the chainglider off and have a good look at the chain/sprocket and see what replacement/cleaning/oiling/adjustment was needed.

On removing the chainglider I was amazed at the excellent condition the transmission was in.
Checking the chain with a Rohloff chain checker showed hardly any wear, the A side (0.75mm) only just went in a fraction.
The chain was pretty clean and evenly lubricated, the up/down slack was 25mm at mid point.
There was hardly any dirt inside the chainglider, only by the chainring which is a thin stainless one.
The rear sprocket looked in good condition.

I oiled the chain with Rohloff chain oil again and refitted the chainglider.
I suspect this combination will see me out…
Julian.

John Saxby:

--- Quote ---I suspect this combination will see me out…
--- End quote ---

+1  👍

Thanks, Julian

martinf:
Checking for chain lubrication once every nine years - is that a record ?

I try and check the condition of the chain at least once a year on the family bikes fitted with Chaingliders.

Very often it is just:

- remove Chainglider,
- quick visual check,
- refit Chainglider without doing anything else.

Andre Jute:
I really don't know what is happening to cycling. Once upon a time cycling was a necessity for hard men with gnarly hands riding to work, now respectable cyclists use German portmanteau words like Chainglider, and check their chain every year or nine -- and get away with it!

I ask you: What will it all come to?

steve216c:
I am in to almost 5000km of Chainglider ownership. Mine has been off a a couple of times for tyre changes and other maintenance. But I’m convinced the glider has slowed wear and chain maintenance and well worth the minor purchase cost.

I know there are a few Chainglider dislikes (haters is perhaps too extreme) in the forum. I cannot speak for them. But I am a convert.  I rarely clean my bike. So if you see the dried mess on my chainglider from the last couple of weeks, you can see how much grime has been kept away from the chain. And keeping the crud out means longer gaps between lubrication intervals and less friction on the chain which stays clean.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version