Author Topic: First Time Rohloff Owner  (Read 24350 times)

steve216c

Re: First Time Rohloff Owner
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2021, 08:12:54 am »
Posting pictures is not so intuative as one might hope.

Go to the website where your picture is hosted and display the picture. Right click over picture and you should see an option to copy link to picture. This might vary according to browser, but e.g. the horrible Microsoft Edge has copy image link "copy image link"

Then look at you message window. Just above the smilies and below the BOLD button there is the option to insert image. When you click that it comes up with [ img][/img ] and the cursor should blink in the middle of the two tags. Click CTRL-V to paste your copied link. Then hit preview and you should be able to see your image appear.

so it looks like this [ img]https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikeforums.net-vbulletin/2000x1124/20200903_153009_c1352ac82127b54d6112c588f4ec4dc57a1db999.jpg[/img]

I added blank spaces in the image tag so it would not display the image but see it as text. But by removing my intentional syntax error i would then get:

If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

Rouleur834

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2021, 04:28:25 pm »
A massive thank you to all of you who responded with sage advice and numerous signposts to useful information. I'm sure my transition to life with a Rohloff will be a lot easier due to your input.

Now to tackle the issues about tubeless or tubes and clipless or flats. That's for another time and another place.

Thanks again

Best

Ray

Mike Ayling

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2021, 12:43:18 am »
I have to agree with the tips all given this far. The Rohloff hub may be a complicated piece of machinery but it is not terribly difficult to self service. If anything it is easier to keep in check than a standard derailleur set up. The unfamiliarity was daunting when I did my first oil change after buying a 2nd hand bike in Autumn 2019, but Rohloff have put some excellent self help videos on YouTube as have several independent pike fanatics. I’m already a veteran of 3 oils changes in total (one was for a friend) and have my next oil change due in a month. It is easy once you’ve done the first.

Certainly removing the wheel is slightly different to a non geared hub, but IMHO easy enough too. But PH‘s tip is a good one. You know it will be raining and dark and messy when you have the first roadside need to remove that wheel. But practice a couple of times at home on a dry and sunny day, and it will be second nature. Rohloff almost certainly have a video on that too. And once you know how, it is also easy to repeat.

Having a small stock of Rohloff specific  spares is no bad idea unless your local bike shop is a dealer. For many we are too niche for them to carry spares in stock. I changed my gear cable outers to take Standard Shimano gear cables. So I have one cable fitting all my non Rohloff bikes too. But a decent amount of gear change oil will last you several years at a fraction of the cost of the single portion sets. Worth considering or purchasing together with other Rohloff riders to share.

Finally, running in. I purchased my bike with an estimated 10,000km use already on the hub. In the 9000+ I have added to it, it has either got quieter and smoother or my hearing has got worse. I think the former is the case though. Smoother and quieter and definitely less maintenance than its Deore powered stablemate

Best addition I added has been a Hebie Chainglider. I only regret not buying it earlier in my ownership. By encapsulating from the elements the oil stays clean and on the chain, so little need for regular chain cleaning and reapplying oil. And less crud in the drivechain means slower wear through friction.
Certainly removing the wheel is slightly different to a non geared hub, but IMHO easy enough too.

EASIER than a derailleur IMO

Mike
Another happy Mercury owner.

PH

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2021, 10:51:09 am »
I agree, particularly reinstalling it and not having to deal with the derailleur, much easier to keep your hands clean as well. 
I'd also heap praise on the Thorn dropout and use of the longer Rohloff tab on the OEM plate.  I don't think I appreciated how good it is till I used some alternatives. 
Anyway, it's Saturday, hope Rouleur is enjoying the new toy and it's not raining too hard wherever they are.

Rouleur834

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2021, 03:30:58 pm »
I agree, particularly reinstalling it and not having to deal with the derailleur, much easier to keep your hands clean as well. 
I'd also heap praise on the Thorn dropout and use of the longer Rohloff tab on the OEM plate.  I don't think I appreciated how good it is till I used some alternatives. 
Anyway, it's Saturday, hope Rouleur is enjoying the new toy and it's not raining too hard wherever they are.

Rouleur834, AKA Ray of Chipping Sodbury, is a very happy bunny. Bike delivered this afternoon by Steve from Thorn. I am very impressed by the build quality, far exceeded my expectations. Happy days! Busy doing the paperwork; insured by TSB, registered Rohloff hub and added to National Cycle Database. Pedal fitting and photoshoot will have to wait until tomorrow, COVID jab part-deux awaits.....

Take care all and thanks again.

Captain Bubble

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2021, 04:24:52 pm »
Rouleur834, AKA Ray of Chipping Sodbury, is a very happy bunny. Bike delivered this afternoon by Steve from Thorn. I am very impressed by the build quality, far exceeded my expectations. Happy days! Busy doing the paperwork; insured by TSB, registered Rohloff hub and added to National Cycle Database. Pedal fitting and photoshoot will have to wait until tomorrow, COVID jab part-deux awaits.....

Take care all and thanks again.

I would suggest getting a Hebie Chainglider to keep the chain clean. They are not that expensive about £35-40. It will massively increase the life of the chain and keep it clean. Also no more oil and muck getting on hands, clothes and other surfaces. Keeps your bike a lot cleaner as well as you don't have the problem of lube/oil and muck from the chain getting onto the rear wheel and frame particular when it's wet. With the Chainglider I got about 18k miles out of the first chain on one of my Rohloff hub bikes. It was a good chain though the KMC X-1 silver specifically for IHG and the Rohloff but it is sadly NLA. Also when you park the bike i.e. over night or store it, try to do so with the filler plug in the hub uppermost. Mines never leaked but it adds piece of mind for me.
I don't miss derailleur geared bikes one bit. No longer have to do all that awful maintenance which was a chore I grew to hate. The Rohloff doesn't require any of that. You spend a lot more time riding than maintaining and it's so easy to ride. It will take a few thousand miles to run in and the more you ride the better the hub becomes. Do keep up with the oil changes depending on how many miles you ride. Happy days. Enjoy.

PH

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2021, 06:35:37 pm »
With the Chainglider I got about 18k miles out of the first chain on one of my Rohloff hub bikes. It was a good chain though the KMC X-1 silver specifically for IHG and the Rohloff but it is sadly NLA.
I get that from a chain without a Chaingluider ;)
But, I'm posting to say the X-1 chain is still available, it's just been re-named the E-1.
Also when you park the bike i.e. over night or store it, try to do so with the filler plug in the hub uppermost. Mines never leaked but it adds piece of mind for me.
Has anyone ever had oil leak via the filler screw?  it's supplied with an oil seal thread lock already applied, there'd be something seriously wrong to have a leak there.

martinf

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2021, 06:52:56 pm »
Has anyone ever had oil leak via the filler screw?  it's supplied with an oil seal thread lock already applied, there'd be something seriously wrong to have a leak there.

Not yet had a leak there. And very minimal seepage elsewhere.

I suppose it could happen if (like I sometimes do) you re-use the filler screw  and the threadlock compound has worn off, rather than fit a new one as recommended.

Compared to old oil-lubricated Sturmey Archer hubs the Rohloff is almost sealed.  With the former, I try and remember to park the two bikes concerned with the left side leaning against the wall, this reduces the seepage through the large bearing on the RHS of Sturmey Archer hubs.

WorldTourer

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2021, 07:34:15 pm »
Note that Thorn/SJS does not endorse the Hebie Chainglider and its staff have been pretty disappointed with the product, just like I ultimately was. SJS does stock them, but in correspondence with them they might try to talk you out of getting one, and I wish I had taken that advice from them.

PH

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2021, 09:24:18 pm »
I suppose it could happen if (like I sometimes do) you re-use the filler screw  and the threadlock compound has worn off, rather than fit a new one as recommended.
I also re-use, though I have a couple of spares and clean and re-apply a seal lock between uses.  I had the gunk for another purpose, it'd be a long term investment otherwise.
If I worry about leakage it isn't so much what comes out, but what can get in by the same route.  My oldest hub needs sorting, more leaks out than I ever put in!

Rouleur834

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2021, 09:39:37 pm »
Update. Three short rides, adjusting riding position, done and so glad I chose the Rohloff and that I did some research before riding with one. Top tip about the gear changing; change whilst stationery, change two or more at a time, unload the cranks when changing. Noise! Yes, a tad noisy but nothing untoward. Would have concerned me if I was not aware of it and just rode the bike.

Good to find a genuinely useful forum. VMT.

mickeg

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2021, 02:00:11 am »
...Noise! Yes, a tad noisy but nothing untoward. Would have concerned me if I was not aware of it and just rode the bike.

I only notice noise in lowest seven gears, not in 8 to 14.

Gears 1-7 are like a low range on a 4X4 truck, the third planetary gear is used for 1-7.

Quieter after a few thousand km and a few oil changes.  But in gear 7 the noise will always be there to remind you that you have a Rohloff.

Captain Bubble

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2021, 02:50:07 am »
Note that Thorn/SJS does not endorse the Hebie Chainglider and its staff have been pretty disappointed with the product, just like I ultimately was. SJS does stock them, but in correspondence with them they might try to talk you out of getting one, and I wish I had taken that advice from them.

I suspect it is because their own brand chain rings typically used on chainset with Rohloff hub are a little too fat for the chainglider until they wear down slightly and bed in, then every thing is fine. Or it could be they don't know how to fit them properly? At first mine was a little temperamental but now I have mastered fitment of it I wouldn't ride without it on the chain even in summer as it protects the chain from dust grit and other crud and correspondingly stops muck getting over the rear wheel and frame and anywhere else that comes into contact with the chain. It keeps the bike and you a lot cleaner. Now I have experience of the chainglider it is easy to fit and remove and pretty much silent in operation.  I would highly recommend fitting one. Just get a front chain ring of suitable thickness which I think is about 3mm. Surly do stainless steel ones. I have a Thorn one which was I think 5mm which initially was a bit tight, not really, but all is fine now. The glider does it's job very well.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 02:56:52 am by Captain Bubble »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2021, 09:13:01 am »
Genuinely interested to hear more about the negative opinions of Chainglider use.
I confess to being a big fan and long time user.
But respect SJS and other folks views.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Andre Jute

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2021, 05:40:30 pm »
Taiwan Central Mountains.jpg

Lovely photo, Cap. Mind a small compositional tip? Put the red bike on the extreme left of the frame, then the eye will glide across the photo and snap back to the red bike. In the centre it is too much like blunt object. If the majority of your audience is Japanese and others who read right to left, put the red bike on the extreme right of the piccie.

However, if you ever repaint the bike gunmetal grey or black, divide the photo in three vertically, and put the bike just on the inside edge of the lefthand block. Advice for yellow bikes and white or cream* bikes is the same as for red bikes.

*About twenty years ago, or so, a Copenhagen bike maker, who had the services of the admirable industrial designer Marc Newson, offered a colour option that was cream -- they may have called it Buttermilk --, with micro-bubbles in the paint, which made it luminous from any angle.