Author Topic: Oil change drain pipe  (Read 1884 times)

Coaster

Oil change drain pipe
« on: October 13, 2022, 01:26:17 pm »
My first time changing the Rohloff oil and I cannot get the supplied plastic drainage pipe to screw into the drain hole. Any advice please. It appears to be too big to fit the hole. Many thanks. Stephen.

PH

Re: Oil change drain pipe
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 04:03:52 pm »
There is a bit of a knack, sometimes mine screws in first time, other times it takes a few goes.  I find it easier to do it with the syringe detached then push them together.  Try and get tube inline with the hole, give it a turn in the wrong direction helps line the threads up, screw in.
If you think it might be the wrong size or thread, compare it to the grub screw you've removed, I'd be surprised but such things are possible.

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 05:43:38 pm »
Perhaps look close at the threads on the plastic end with a magnifying glass to see if the plastic was deformed?

If the problem is holding the tube lined up perpendicular to the hole in the hub, perhaps you could put some straight wire rod in the clear plastic part to hold that straight?  Then slide the rod out to attach the syringe.

steve216c

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 07:34:16 pm »
I don’t know if you have an hydraulic brake filling kit like Magura HS 33 rim brakes, but they have same size screw thread (I think it is M6). You could try fitting that to the drain hole as alternative and that would help assess if the Rohloff adapter is poorly moulded.

I have 28“ wheels but I sometimes help a colleague with his 26“ oil change. The smaller wheel is more fiddly than my 28“ wheel to navigate with my big hands, so perhaps this is making it more challenging for you to get it angles just right for the thread to bite?

Stupid question. You did remove the grub nut before trying to attach the syringe screw? Did you compare size of grub nut and syringe screw thread? Assuming there is no visible damage to the syringe screw it might simply be a case of gently trying again and again till it goes in. And removing the tube from the syringe might make it easier to attach.
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

PH

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 10:33:38 am »
The smaller wheel is more fiddly than my 28“ wheel to navigate with my big hands, so perhaps this is making it more challenging for you to get it angles just right for the thread to bite?
Good point, I'm reminded I cut a pipe shorter for my 24" wheel folder. 
I find it easier to line up with the pipe inside the spokes, which I don't think is possible unless you detach the syringe.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2022, 03:53:46 pm »
Reaching through the spokes to thread it in, I am sure part of the issue is whether or not the hole lines up with a spot where it is easy to reach in between the spokes on the non-drive side wheel.  On my wheel it is pretty easy to reach between the spokes into the space above the hole.

A 24 inch wheel probably is one cross instead of two for spoke pattern, that might make it harder to reach in there.