Author Topic: Suggestions for cheap/easy video Editing software?  (Read 2394 times)

Matt2matt2002

Suggestions for cheap/easy video Editing software?
« on: April 26, 2017, 10:14:38 pm »
[Topic split, title changed and moved to Muppets board as it had gone off-topic from original. Original topic here:
Blanche's Weraldfietser World Cycle-Tour Video Repository, http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=5021.0 -- Dan.]

I have many Gopro clips I'd like to make into a short film.
Suggestions for cheap easy free software and Ram/memory required on computer.
I'm still running Windows XP.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 04:36:21 pm by Danneaux »
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

mike61yorkie

Re: Suggestions for cheap/easy video Editing software?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 04:39:51 am »
Thanks for sharing this..... very inspirational 😃
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 04:33:25 pm by Danneaux »

steve216c

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 06:37:06 am »
….
May I tag on related quick question?

I have many Gopro clips I'd like to make into a short film.
Suggestions for cheap easy free software and Ram/memory required on computer.
I'm still running Windows XP.

The older the PC the more challenging it will be to video edit especially with HD recordings. But it is possible.
I refused to buy in to the Bill Gates empire when XP support was dropped. I have a couple of older dual core AMD Athlon PCs from XP days both chugging along nicely with 2gb ram on one and 4gb on the other.
As for free open source video software try openshot.org
If you were looking for good powerful and free alternative to photoshop, try gimp.org
Both are multi platform and work on Windows, Mac and Linux platforms.

To improve speed on an older PC you can ditch Windows for something more efficient and more powerful. Also open source and free. Linuxmint.com will allow you to download a friendly version of Linux that is intuitive for windows users to get to grips with without much of a learning curve. Because it is often touted as a way to bring life back into hardware that cannot cope with windows any longer. It is maintained so you have current web browser support and is preloaded with most software the average user will need including LibreOffice (Microsoft office alternative) and Firefox browsers as well as other goodies when you install the operating system. Some windows software can run on it using in built Windows emulation program Wine.
Download Linux Mint MATE version for older hardware. It has less graphic special effects (like solid rather than transparency on windows) but otherwise runs same library of software.

You can boot live version to try from USB stick or burn a DVD to boot from to make sure your PC works with Mint. Live version is slower, but you can see it all works. The install option will allow you to create dual boot with windows if you want. You then choose on startup which to open. The hard disk installed version will run much faster than usb or dvd live version.

Other than speed improvements through more efficient programming of operating system you’ll also find that Linux runs like a Thorn on Marathon tyres. No more blue screen ‘flat tyres’. My home PCs crash so rarely under Linux I cannot even remember the last time they did crash.

A bit off topic, but consider Linux the computer equivalent of Rohloff. Unique, cleverly engineered and simply does the same job better. Once you switch and get used to it, you won’t want to switch back.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 04:33:37 pm by Danneaux »
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

leftpoole

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 09:45:01 am »
Other than speed improvements through more efficient programming of operating system you’ll also find that Linux runs like a Thorn on Marathon tyres. No more blue screen ‘flat tyres’. My home PCs crash so rarely under Linux I cannot even remember the last time they did crash.'

In my own opinion, as a user of Internet since 1995!
After numerous Windows PCs I bought a Mac. Yes an iMac and have been using since late 2014 without a hiccup.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 04:33:48 pm by Danneaux »

martinf

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 01:23:38 pm »
Linux is a good option for older machines that no longer work efficiently with the latest versions of Windows.

I recently acquired (for free) an oldish portable sous Windows Vista, another Windows system that is no longer supported. The machine was sluggish with Vista, but perfectly acceptable once I had installed Xubuntu Linux.

Xubuntu Linux has got to the point where it is nearly as user-friendly as Windows.

My wife, who dislikes computers but has to use them for some things (mainly communication with our daughters via Email, Skype and Facebook, basic text documents and saving/resizing digital photos) now uses Xubuntu almost exclusively, mainly because she got fed up with the frequent updates and minor changes that occur with Windows 10.

All but one of the family computers are second-hand, the newer ones are dual boot Windows 10/Xubuntu, the older ones Xubuntu only.

The exception is the oldest of the lot, which I bought new in 2008, this is triple boot Windows XP/Windows 10/Xubuntu and is now mainly used for legacy software that won't work with either Windows 10 or Xubuntu and for my scanner, bought second hand in 2003, which has an SCSI interface adapter that won't fit in recent machines. The scanner works with XP and Xubuntu, but I haven't found a way to make it work with Windows 10.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 04:34:05 pm by Danneaux »

Aleman

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 09:23:10 am »
I like AVIDemux ... available in 32 and 64 bit. works well on my old i5 windows 10 machine ... But then that is armed with 32GB of RAM, and an SSD