Technical > Luggage

Weight limit on Karrimor Uplift?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Lemming:
I use the Carradice version on my Brompton (as it's so easy to remove the bag to fold the bike) and have carried well in excess of 6kg without any problem, on a Titanium frame B17.

I'd agree that the Bagman is a bettter solution, which is what I have on my Nomad - the uplift has come out of the saddle loops once on a rough descent!

Danneaux:
Hi All!

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. It pretty much confirmed my thinking about maximum limits and their possible effect on the saddle's bag loops.

I'll be looking at alternatives. All of my bikes have Brooks saddles, (custom) brackets for Ortlieb underseat bags, and five have suspenson seatposts, so I'll need to think about a solution compatible with all. One possibility is the nylon boat cleat that twists into place between the saddle rails, then self-centers. I'm not sure how noisy or stable this would be, so I will need to look more closely.

Best,

Dan.

in4:
Bit off topic but I did wonder how well a Camper  Longflap would sit across the top of panniers. I’m suspecting that the saddle loops would not be secure enough and that additional straps would be necessary.

martinf:

--- Quote from: in4 on May 04, 2021, 04:06:12 am ---Bit off topic but I did wonder how well a Camper  Longflap would sit across the top of panniers. I’m suspecting that the saddle loops would not be secure enough and that additional straps would be necessary.

--- End quote ---

I tried that a long time ago, and used bungee cords to secure it. But in that configuration the only advantage I could see from using a Carradice saddlebag was the relatively good waterproofing. A waterproof Ortlieb bag works just as well and can carry more stuff. Or a (not too huge) regular rucksack, which is more useful if doing fixed-centre touring with some walking involved.

Most of the time I use a saddlebag in either/or mode with respect to panniers. Saddlebag if the load will fit in it, reasonably fast removal is then a requirement, as in the rare cases where I leave the bike locked up somewhere I then take ALL the luggage except water bottles (i.e. one saddlebag) with me. If I need more space, in order of volume:

- a pair of medium rear panniers,
- medium rear panniers plus front panniers OR large rear panniers without anything else,
- medium rear panniers plus front panniers plus luggage strapped onto the rear rack OR large rear panniers plus front panniers,
- large rear panniers plus front panniers plus luggage strapped onto the rear rack,
- large rear panniers plus medium rear panniers carried on the front rack plus luggage strapped onto the rear rack.

I have only ever needed the last configuration for local utility trips. And for exceptional loads, depending on the weight, size and awkwardness of the load I also have the additional option of a large two-wheel trailer, which has carried maximum loads of 500 litres or 130 kg (not at the same time)

rualexander:
These 'uplifts' will bend and eventually break your saddle loops.

Use mine with Barley bag with around 2-3kg weight mostly, but have on a couple of occasions used it with Super C bag with 6kg.

Certainly don't use these style 'uplifts' if you're doing anything off-road or bumpy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version