Author Topic: Ortlieb plastic inserts for rack diameter  (Read 3039 times)

navrig

Ortlieb plastic inserts for rack diameter
« on: March 13, 2023, 03:35:58 pm »
Has anyone removed the little plastic inserts used to adapt the mounting system for different rack tube diameters?

My wife is coming to meet me mid-tour and travelling with her panniers for use on an eBike we have hired for her.  Her rack uses the smallest diameter insert and we won't know what rack will be on the hire bike.  If the tubes are "fat" we will have to swap out the inserts.

These things called hooks, they slide in sideways:  https://www.ortlieb.com/media/downloads/anleitung/ql21-system.pdf

I don't want to try it just now just in case they snap or can't be re-inserted.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 03:39:00 pm by navrig »

UKTony

Re: Ortlieb plastic inserts for rack diameter
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 04:01:21 pm »
Reverse the process for insertion. That is, pull the handle fully as if you were releasing the clips to take the pannier off a rack.  Then the insert should slide out sideways with a bit of a push.

navrig

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 04:06:09 pm »
Thanks Tony.

PH

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 06:14:39 pm »
Ortlieb do change them from time to time, I get confused by all the Q numbers and variations!  The ones I have, like the ones linked in the OP, don't slide sideways until they've been pulled away from the main body of the hook; they have a lip on both edges.  When fitting they click into place, when removing you need to insert something at the end of the insert to pull it away, small flat blade screwdriver ideally, then they just pop out. Don't do it in the long grass, don't ask why I know that's a bad idea.
I don't bother with the inserts, my Ortliebs are used with several racks of different diameter tubing tubing, instead, I've built up the tubing where the hooks sit, doesn't matter with what, though I finish with a couple of wraps of insulation tape, it gets tatty after a couple of years but is easy to replace.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 06:19:54 pm by PH »

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 09:57:52 pm »
I removed mine, but that was a decade ago.

I bought some clear plastic tubing and slit it lengthwise and put it over some of the frame tubing to protect it from chaffing and the hooks without inserts were nearly the perfect size.  That said, I am in USA and we use inches here, the tubing was 1/2 inch OD and 3/8 ID.  I wrapped a couple layers of electrical tape over it too.  These panniers are about 12 to 14 years old, so they may have made changes to the design of the hooks since then.

After the photo was taken, I have also added some zip ties to keep the plastic tubing in place.

UKTony

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 08:00:13 am »
Ortlieb do change them from time to time, I get confused by all the Q numbers and variations!  The ones I have, like the ones linked in the OP, don't slide sideways until they've been pulled away from the main body of the hook; they have a lip on both edges.  When fitting they click into place, when removing you need to insert something at the end of the insert to pull it away, small flat blade screwdriver ideally, then they just pop out.

I have the QL2.1 version as covered by the assembly instructions in the link in the OP. I tested removal before my original reply. Provided the handle is pulled and held in the fully open position as is necessary when installing the inserts,  I was able to push insert out sideways without using any tools. They don’t slide out easily but I managed it with a firm push with finger or thumb. Maybe I’ve missed something?

PH

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2023, 08:26:45 am »
They don’t slide out easily but I managed it with a firm push with finger or thumb. Maybe I’ve missed something?
I found I needed to prise it off, you can do it with your fingers, best advice to the OP would be to give it a try.
The main point is it's not complicated, but it's useful to be aware there are lips on the edges of the inserts, so it is more than a sliding action.

navrig

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 11:38:44 pm »
Thanks guys, some interesting and useful replies.