Author Topic: Rear Dynamo light  (Read 10622 times)

ourclarioncall

Re: Rear Dynamo light
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 05:19:42 pm »
Andre and Dan

Thanks very much guys for the pics ! Just what I wanted to see 👍

Andre Jute

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 09:36:22 pm »
That's a good clean installation, Dan. For a while I too pursued the side by side dream of the OP, trying to find a rumoured red lamp sibling of my front white blinkie, basically a small torch, which would fit on the inside of the rack beside the mudguard. But several vendors who showed photographs and were taking orders on the promise of delivery from the factory had to give my money back because the promised red lamp never materialised.

martinf

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2021, 07:41:06 am »
My setups.

First two photos are on a bike used for day rides, so no rack and a saddlebag. And rarely used at night. Cateye LD1100 mounted at the point where the stays are attached to the mudguard with a steel bridge (the lamp is heavy, and will break the plastic mudguard if fitted elsewhere). B&M Secula mudguard fitting dynamo lamp. One photo with the Cateye on, one with it off.

Second two photos are on my "touring" Raven Tour. Cateye LD1100 mounted on the seatpost (if carrying a pile of extra stuff on the rack that obscures the Cateye I don't bother with it). B&M Line dynamo lamp on the rack bracket. If carrying something large and floppy on the rear rack, this may be obscured, this would be a rare event and more likely with one of my utility bikes that have the same three-lamp setup. Finally, the B&M Secula mudguard fitting dynamo lamp. Again, one photo with the Cateye on, one with it off.

The dynamo lamps are not lit, so the photos only show the integrated reflectors, presnet on both types of B&M lamp.

All the lamps are in the same vertical plane. I dislike side-by-side lamps on a two-wheeler after an experience while I was working as a bus driver, when I mistook side-by-side headlamps on a motor bike for a car a long way away.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 07:45:17 am by martinf »

PH

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2021, 08:35:05 am »
How sad is it people posting photos of their lights?
Here's mine  ;)
Merc lights by Paul, on Flickr

The narrow rack would make my favoured dynamo light vulnerable to knocks, so instead have a battery Cateye there and a small B&M dynamo light under the saddlebag.

in4

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2021, 08:52:00 am »
Subliminal Carradicefest going on here 😉

Aleman

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2021, 10:57:33 am »
Well I may as well join in. This is a Son Rear Light mounted on a Thorn Rear Carrier.

I am intending at some time to fit my Cyclic Fly 6  to the rack as well, but as it's the type that has a velcro  seat post mount, I need to fettle (or 3D Print) a Rack mount for it.

steve216c

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2021, 05:06:14 pm »
Here are the various dynamo lights I have over some of the family bikes. First is mud guard mounted and rest are rack mounted. All currently in use have stand light function.
All family member helmets also have integrated battery blinky light too. Belt and braces when it comes to their (and my) safety when out on the road.

2,3 and 5 didn't have standard fittings so each is fashioned out of a home made bracket to hold in place. My kids are used to me drilling out baked bean tins and similar for some repairs, but I think these were odd garden or furniture brackets repurposed.  :o

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 10:29:05 pm by steve216c »
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

mark s

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2021, 05:48:35 pm »
How sad is it people posting photos of their lights?
Here's mine  ;)
Merc lights by Paul, on Flickr

The narrow rack would make my favoured dynamo light vulnerable to knocks, so instead have a battery Cateye there and a small B&M dynamo light under the saddlebag.

I’m guessing that your rear dynamo light is fixed by P clips onto a Bagman bracket?  How have you routed the wiring, does run along the top tube, then up the seat pin and then along the Bagman?

mickeg

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2021, 07:29:25 pm »
First photo, in this case all three taillights are battery powered.  The center large light is there mostly because it has a good reflector, I often do not put batteries in it.  The two side lights are each battery lights that are held to the rack tubing with seatstay sized brackets, a bit of a strip of inner tube rubber wrapped around the rack tubing is enough to make a seatstay bracket fit well on the rack tubing.

Second photo, different bike, different trip, no center light but the two side mounted lights better show how the seatstay mounts attached.

PH

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2021, 11:16:32 pm »
I’m guessing that your rear dynamo light is fixed by P clips onto a Bagman bracket?  How have you routed the wiring, does run along the top tube, then up the seat pin and then along the Bagman?
That's pretty much it.  The cable makes it's way along the top tube, heat shrunk to the brake cable, then up the seatpost and along the Bagman.  I partially fill in the base of my Bagmans, so the bags sit on them rather than sag into them, just a couple of wraps of gaffa tape, not pretty but you don't see it with the bag in place, I've put the cable and the joint through this.

mark s

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2021, 08:13:24 am »
That's pretty much it.  The cable makes it's way along the top tube, heat shrunk to the brake cable, then up the seatpost and along the Bagman.  I partially fill in the base of my Bagmans, so the bags sit on them rather than sag into them, just a couple of wraps of gaffa tape, not pretty but you don't see it with the bag in place, I've put the cable and the joint through this.
Thanks PH, that’s helpful as I am contemplating ditching the rack on one bike and using a bagman instead to lose some weight.