Author Topic: Splitting hub  (Read 1925 times)

ChrisBarrett

Splitting hub
« on: April 17, 2021, 04:44:00 pm »
Has anyone seen or have this on their hub? Noticed it today. Its like a laminate or seating that seems to be splitting and lifting. Doesn't seem to be structural to me. I've contacted Rohloff to see what they think.

Matt2matt2002

Re: Splitting hub
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 07:44:54 pm »
No oil coming out?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

PH

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 08:29:16 pm »
It's hard to see from the photo, because it's black on black, but is that the hub or the reinforcing ring?
Easier to distinguish them on a silver hub
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 08:32:17 pm by PH »

ChrisBarrett

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 07:47:18 am »
#NEWSFLASH#
I bit the bullet this morning and removed part of the split alloy. Turns out its just the bottom edge of the outer edge of the flange support ring! Pheeeeew.  Still doesn't change the fact that the wheel has been laced incorrectly causing the spokes to slightly move the support ring slightly causing the problems.

macspud

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 03:59:52 pm »
Could we have another photo, please.

PH

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 05:49:31 pm »
#NEWSFLASH#
I bit the bullet this morning and removed part of the split alloy. Turns out its just the bottom edge of the outer edge of the flange support ring! Pheeeeew.  Still doesn't change the fact that the wheel has been laced incorrectly causing the spokes to slightly move the support ring slightly causing the problems.
That must be a relief, it looked to me like the reinforcing ring, but i couldn't be sure from the photo.
In what way do you consider the hub to be wrongly laced?  Even if it was, I can't see how that would have effected the ring.  I have a hub laced like that and I'm pretty sure it's fine, even if it wasn't I wouldn't change it, all the advice is that changing the spoking pattern is a bad thing to do.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 06:50:03 pm by PH »

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 10:50:02 pm »
I would not blame the lacing, looks like the thin part of the reinforcing ring is cracking off for some reason, perhaps the reinforcing ring side is too thin on that particular one?

If it is under warranty, I would have it fixed.  If past warranty, the thin part of the ring is mainly used to hold the ring from slipping inwards too far, in other words holds it in place.  The thicker part that has the larger diameter is the important part and that does not appear to have cracked.  That said, if the metal is that weak, perhaps it is a broader concern that the ring has a problem?

On the right of the photo, it looks like a bit of the thin part of the ring previously split off too and is no longer attached.