Author Topic: Clothing for touring  (Read 11674 times)

JohnR

Re: Clothing for touring
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2021, 08:09:19 pm »
I bought this softshell top last November https://www.wiggle.co.uk/fohn-zonda-softshell (a good hi-visibility colour) for £45 and it proved very good for the winter months with one or more layers underneath as appropriate while also keeping out heavy drizzle. I considered softshell trousers but haven't yet bought any.

in4

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 11:31:45 pm »
Adding to the canon:

I’ve found wearing a long-sleeve, turtle-neck, zipped merino wool top under my Paramo Quito jacket a suitable combination for many types of weather. The Quito has very long pit zips, which are great for temperature control/ventilation. The hood is huge but the draw strings allow you to pull it tight or loosen it off. I also like the Quito’s quietness when riding.

I get my Merino from Mountain Warehouse and Icebreaker but I’m concerned about the provenance of these suppliers and am currently awaiting a response from Icebreaker re where their products are made and by whom.

I’m sure the plus fours and tweeds enthusiasts will be along shortly.😀

ourclarioncall

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2021, 01:24:22 am »
The

BTwin 500 Urban waterproof cycling overtrousers

Have shoe covers integrated into them . Handy

PH

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2021, 11:30:08 am »
I bought this softshell top last November https://www.wiggle.co.uk/fohn-zonda-softshell (a good hi-visibility colour) for £45 and it proved very good for the winter months with one or more layers underneath as appropriate while also keeping out heavy drizzle. I considered softshell trousers but haven't yet bought any.
The problem with softshell is it covers a whole load of different fabrics!  I have a Vulpine/Hoy softshell jersey which is pretty water resistant but fairly stiff and a Rohan softshell which is a very soft material but defeated by anything more than a light drizzle (A fantastic walking jacket all the same)
I have some Peter Storm softshell trousers which are a different material again, they are great when it's really cold, but too warm most of the time, I haven't used them in heavy rain yet.  I can't see me getting a lot of use from them, that's OK, they weren't expensive and those times when it is cold enough for them they feel a real luxury.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2021, 12:06:42 am »
For a few years now I’ve noticed soft shell stuff being popular amongst clothing sold for tradesmen and workmen . Helly  Hanson , Tough stuff, loads of other brands I can’t remember.

I just found this as I searched for what I would like in a good cycling jacket

1. Hi viz
2. Goretex
3. Soft shell

This ticks all of these boxes . Not cheap, but as they say generally you get what you pay for

https://www.hhworkwear.com/en_gb_ww/icu-hi-vis-3-layer-shell-jacket-71172?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6-SDBhCMARIsAGbI7Uj4ivkEMitR8X1FVBbBC5q_qNPK8KdTEbVD6lXeqEYCXacCX_7i68IaAhuaEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

ourclarioncall

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2021, 01:12:27 am »
Interesting info on north faces newish futurlight tech. They reckon is better than goretex

https://etree.co/the-north-face-futurelight-better-than-gore-tex/

steve216c

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2021, 08:03:11 am »
For a few years now I’ve noticed soft shell stuff being popular amongst clothing sold for tradesmen and workmen . Helly  Hanson , Tough stuff, loads of other brands I can’t remember.

I just found this as I searched for what I would like in a good cycling jacket

1. Hi viz
2. Goretex
3. Soft shell

This ticks all of these boxes . Not cheap, but as they say generally you get what you pay for

https://www.hhworkwear.com/en_gb_ww/icu-hi-vis-3-layer-shell-jacket-71172?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6-SDBhCMARIsAGbI7Uj4ivkEMitR8X1FVBbBC5q_qNPK8KdTEbVD6lXeqEYCXacCX_7i68IaAhuaEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I looked at jacket on the link. Perhaps I need to polish my glasses but other than hi-vis colour i didn’t see that it was soft shell or Gortex.
The term soft was used- which might imply soft shell but might also mean something else.
The material is Helly Tech professional not Gortex. It might be breathable but there are different requirements for breathability on a bike jacket than on a work jacket or a hiking jacket.

The cut of a cycling jacket is often better suited for cycling than other types of jacket, e.g no hood as this restricts vision and may not fit if helmet is worn. Slightly longer cut on back so you aren’t smiling to the car drivers unintentionally when leaning forward to your handlebars. And breathability plays a key role to transport sweat vapour out of jacket.

I have a Gortex Jack Wolfskin branded non cycling outdoor jacket that keeps me dry in all circumstances except cycling. The fold away hood means neck feels bulky riding with helmet. The ventilation zips on arms help air but I generate too much heat cycling for it to be effective except in the coldest situations.

My bike jackets are generally thinner and have more breathability needed for the extra heat and sweat generated when cycling. None are as waterproof as my Gortex outdoor jacket, which would keep me dry all day in non cycling conditions but ends up like a sauna on a long bike ride with my clothes wet from properties not designed for a sports situation like that.

There is no perfect jacket for all year round but a series of jackets for different situations on a bike.
I have 2 waterproof jackets which are great in rain and cold but get uncomfortable on longer rides if not cold and wet outside. I also have a number of shower proof jackets with higher breathability and comfort for riding in general but not much good if rain gets heavy or persistent. All my jackets are bright colours with reflective details for my safety.

With frosty mornings but low teen afternoon temperatures I often ride to work in my warmer waterproof bike jackets but return in a lighter weight shower proof jacket unless it is pouring with rain. But as bike jackets are generally thinner than outdoor jackets, neither take too much space in my bike bag. You will need to find what works for you biting don’t think there is an all year all round bike jacket that is perfect for every situation and you may end up like me with several jackets for various situations.

If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

tyreon

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2021, 09:11:30 am »
There's a lotta sweat going on here! Why not go slower! Seriously. Why hammer? I know when you are younger you have so much to see and do,but hey! in the scheme of things,you've got more years left than a lot of us who are older. Why not set off that bit earlier,or set your goals a bit lower. It's not a race(altho I know it can get that way). Cool it! Have a look around. There's only one who can be the winner. The rest of us(as they say-well,some say)are losers. I know,its not fun being the loser,but its less stressful. Push yourself by all means(I guess its the way to improve)but dont go OTT.

PH

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2021, 10:08:12 am »
There's a lotta sweat going on here! Why not go slower! Seriously. Why hammer?
You don't need to be hammering it to sweat, how do you ride up hill with the same level of exertion as the flat?  Do you adjust your clothing every time the temperature goes up a degree or two? We all sweat at different levels, there's plenty of research, but we all sweat, don't be thinking your experience is the same as everyone else's.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2021, 10:17:36 am »
You don't need to be hammering it to sweat, how do you ride up hill with the same level of exertion as the flat?  Do you adjust your clothing every time the temperature goes up a degree or two? We all sweat at different levels, there's plenty of research, but we all sweat, don't be thinking your experience is the same as everyone else's.
I think he was offering his own personal experience.
Great to read about how other folks manage their tours.
Cheaper to learn from others err... mistakes/ experiences.

I've mashed out 125 miles plus in a day. And I've done considerably less on a tour.

But as my good friend Gerald once told me, "There's no chequered flag at the end of the day".

Best

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

PH

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2021, 10:18:29 am »
Steve has covered it, but that wouldn't tick any boxes for me.  Apart from the colour it's probably in the same category as the Softshell trousers i mentioned above, fantastic for a very limited range of conditions, but inappropriate most of the time.
If you want to spend that sort of money on a jacket, and there's no need to, this gets my vote

https://showerspass.co.uk/collections/mens-waterproof-jackets/products/refuge-jacket

PH

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2021, 10:20:00 am »
I think he was offering his own personal experience.
I thought they were offering advice?
Why not go slower! Seriously. Why hammer?

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2021, 12:37:07 pm »
The clothing I wear matches the expected environment.
Did the OP mention anything about that?
Sorry if I missed it.

My clothing for my Ethiopian tour from Addis Ababa to the source of the Blue Nile back in '18 ( 2018, I'm old but not that old?!? ), was very different to my 2017 tour of the Outer Hebrides.

Just as we pick the best bike for out tours, we pick the most appropriate clothing.

Where is the OP off to?

Some of my cycling pals post home warm clothes when they reach the tropics. And visa versa.
Or purchase as you go. One way to support the local economy although not always easy to buy top quality/ fav brands.

Such a good subject to open up.
Thanks to OP.

Best

Matt

Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

tyreon

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2021, 01:45:46 pm »
I offered my wisdom with a ;). I no longer preach. I knew a lot when I was younger,but have found out with increasing years I didnt know what I was talking about. I probably still dont. I sometimes pop in for a chat,maybe have a cuppa...then depart. I am pleased if others are pleased. Its good that not everyone is like me...or like everyone else: good to have varying cyclists countryside.

Lets hope covid goes away. Let us all hope we can get out this summer and the sun comes out.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2021, 03:38:55 pm »
Hmmm, been reading some mixed reviews on the futurelight stuff (YouTube )