Author Topic: Clothing for touring  (Read 11675 times)

ourclarioncall

Clothing for touring
« on: April 13, 2021, 04:37:21 pm »
Not sure what category to put this in but maybe I will share a little and you will get the drift

I guess my main thoughts are dealing with sweat and potential saddle sores . Stuff like that . And also good gear for rain or bad weather . Well basically and clothing related info

What has your touring journey looked like as you’ve matured and got more miles under the belt ?

I overcame or am overcoming I’ve had by buying a new brooks saddle and also I changed my style of underwear. Sorry to get graphic ! But I learned these are common problems

I commuted to work about 15 miles there and had to deal with sweat build up on my back coz of a backpack and I think jeans or cycling trousers. My seat was a bit wide and it was causing or partly causing my underwear to ride up and rub, also that area was very sweaty . So I had to take fresh T-shirt , underwear and socks to work to change once I got there.

The brooks saddle helped a lot and I tried buying underwear that is much more minimal with little material to ride up the legs and rub.

I was getting really discouraged for a while as it was getting painful and irritable

I read up on seat height and adjustments and how this can effect things so experimented with that.

Around this time I bought a couple pairs of those cycling shorts with the pads. Can’t say I felt comfortable in them or enjoyed the 5 minute battle of trying to get them on my overweight body !

The thought of having to wash them after every ride was a bit daunting as I would have to buy multiple pairs and they not small quick and easy to wash like cotton underwear

I hear cotton is not a great material anyway for vigorous activity . I did research layering and planned to try some Marino wool base layers or even underwear . I got a pair a gore goretex cycling trousers which I live in and are fantastic. Also tried a few north face fleeces/soft shells and have settled on a north face goretex jacket I got used off of eBay.

In the past I would have said there is no way on Earth you would catch me in a pair of those man tight things . But I Now realise they really do serve a very practical purpose . I’ve yet to try any tho but willing to give them a go.

If I continue to wear cotton underwear I think I may probably have to continue dealing with sweat which I would rather not but maybe it’s unavoidable. I could lose weight , maybe that would help

I did once have a go of a friends bike that had one of those channels in the centre to get a bit of air flow and comfort and it felt great. I think brooks make a saddle with a hole in it which might be effective. Sweat and rubbing and chaffing and dealing with sores and cream does not seem like fun.

ourclarioncall

Re: Clothing for touring
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 05:43:51 pm »
Stuff like shoes would also be interesting. I’ve just been a pair of trainers type of guy , but recently tried a pair of berghaus goretex walking shoes which I liked . Although they were terrible on flat wet surfaces. Say I walked onto a bus and their was a bit of water on the floor off of folks feet then I could slip , or on a supermarket floor. Not ideal ! Not sure I would buy another pair. I think they would obviously excel on rigged ground /hiking and pretty good for general use, but I suspect there is a better option for cycling

julk

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 06:34:11 pm »
Footwear,
I have moved over the years from cycling shoes to cycling sandals which I find more comfortable.
Really bad weather might have me putting on a pair of sealskinz socks, but normally I go without socks - I don’t cycle in snow!
Worth a try.

Clothing,
A couple of brands which I have found work best for me, Ground Effect and Paramo, neither cheap but both long lasting and effective.
Have a look at their websites to see what is on offer.
Avoid cotton it just gets damp and stays that way against your skin.
Julian.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 06:38:02 pm by julk »

WorldTourer

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 06:47:34 pm »
Me, I switched from sandals to light trekking boots. With sandals, there was too much UV exposure on the bike. Sure, you can put sunscreen on your feet, but your feet quickly get grimy from the road, and then it feels gross to reapply sunscreen to those filthy feet.

Also, when walking through the wilderness at day’s end looking for a campsite, it is nice to have some protection from thorns, stinging nettle, or whatever else there might be.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 08:43:56 pm »
I forgot to say on the footwear topic , my toes or rather toenails have been hurting recently . I don’t know if it’s the newish trainers or something to do with the new mattress I got recently, but I’m like oh now, now is not the time to develop ingrown toenails before I start getting into touring !!

Footwear is one those things you don’t realise how important it is until you start having problems

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 09:48:27 pm »
This discussion probably belongs in the Non-Thorn forum http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?board=4.0 but you've raised an important subject. I pedalled over 5000 miles last year without going far from home partly for exercise and partly to figure out what works best for me. At the moment there's a close tie between this https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m18b0s204p2683/GILLES-BERTHOUD-Aravis-%28Titanium-rails%29 and this https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m18b0s204p4693/SPA-CYCLES-Nidd-Open-Titanium-Leather-Saddle (now available without the backing which made the Spa cycles saddles reluctant to deform) as the preferred saddle. The answer is probably something in between as the former is more comfortable when I'm in the more sporty position and the latter is preferred if I'm more upright. I'll continue to clock up miles with both but the Aravis may win on account of it having shallower rails which thus gives a bit more space for my Carradice Super-C rack bag.

I tried padded shorts once and they felt like wearing nappies (not that my memory goes back that far ::) so never again and am happier with"baggy" shorts or trousers (depending on the temperature). The Endura Humvee range are worth looking at but are bit heavy for hotter days for which I've got some lightweight Dare2b cycling shorts. Almost any shorts / trousers will do if they have flat seams although some are designed to avoid seams in the saddle contact area. These https://www.marksandspencer.com/3-pack-cool-and-fresh-trunks/p/clp60431378 are my best find for the bottom layer. They are fairly tight fitting around the legs so don't ride up while the material has an open weave and is fairly breathable and quick drying.

I've got a range of footwear to accommodate the seasons. Nothing is cycling-specific as I've always used flat pedals and my extremities freeze up very easily.  Midwinter weather is combated by these https://www.clarksoutlet.co.uk/p/36100150 which are a size large so there's space for two pairs of socks while https://www.clarksoutlet.co.uk/p/36108350 are good for me up to around 10C. Both have nice grippy soles. Last autumn I picked up a pair of these https://www.clarksoutlet.co.uk/p/261345537 in grey for £20 on the off-chance that they would be good for cycling. They've only been used a couple of times but I've found them comfortable as the soles are fairly still. My feet got a bit warm 3/4 of the way round 43 miles so I took the socks off and they were still comfortable. However, if it's very hot then it will be either https://www.clarksoutlet.co.uk/p/35893030 or an older version of these https://www.clarksoutlet.co.uk/p/261416047 to provide more ventilation. I've not had a problem with sunburnt feet probably because the open sandals have been used enough that my feet have time to tan progressively.

Merino is good as it can be used for months without getting smelly. I've got one of these https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/merino-mens-long-sleeved-zip-neck-top-p13070.aspx/navy/ in bright red which can serve both as a base layer or as a layer in its own right or in combination with a flourescent yellow gilet. One needs the facility to strip off layers as the day progresses. Long zips on the front also help and all tops, in my opinion, should be brightly coloured to make it easier for inattentive drivers to see me.

It's a matter of buy and try on progressively longer rides, sensibly starting at the lower end of the price range so the rejects don't have a big fnancial impact (I've adopted a fairly similar philosophy with bicycles).

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 04:02:56 pm »
This discussion probably belongs in the Non-Thorn forum...
Indeed. :) Moved.

Best,

Dan.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 05:51:19 pm »
Thanks Dan

JohnR

That’s a nice selection of stuff there. I checked all the links. I like the footwear, the shoes are very similar to the ones I had and killed and I think are laying in my garden somewhere https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15906023/berghaus-men-s-ft18-gtx-walking-shoes-15906023/?istCompanyId=c2ec8a5d-93c1-4850-a97a-f4d89d7c99c8&istFeedId=2755fba0-7dfe-46a9-bfd0-09b37aed8b93&istItemId=wapippmww&istBid=t&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpdqDBhCSARIsAEUJ0hOiiMoQSMhIiCiPtP5nTdMSPPCpQ7gq2oNQXFf4sT-nhVoCt4LNKTUaAvQEEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

They were a good all rounder, you could wear them anywhere and a bit more rugged than trainers but not too heavy. Comfy , flexible. Goretex . Socks still got sweaty in hotter weather . And I think when they got soaked in the rain and some water got in they took a bit of time to dry out. Think a lot of hikers in hot climates like regular running trainers as they are light comfy and good ventilation for sweat when running.

I would prefer to be able to wear the same clothes on and off the bike (fits my no fuss philosophy)

These have been brilliant, can’t recommend them enough https://www.gorewear.com/uk/en-uk/c3-gore-windstopper-pants-100038.html?dwvar_100038_color=9908&cgid=gw_sport_cycling_pants I wear them every day and go everywhere in them. Thin , lightweight

I’m looking at cycling shorts which are very similar https://www.gorewear.com/uk/en-uk/c5-gore-tex-paclite-trail-shorts-100574.html?dwvar_100574_color=9900&cgid=gw_sport_cycling_shorts but then I think hmm, what’s the point of goretex shorts, if it rains my legs will still get cold/wet and the water will run into my shoes/trainers and get cold wet feet. So not too sure. I guess it still might be worth it for the lightweight and breathability , but maybe there is better options.

I don’t think I could wear just cycling shirt with no underwear, I would have to go a 2 layer option . Some type of underwear and then shorts or trousers on top . As far as sweat goes maybe it can only be minimised and not eliminated completely. Not sure.

On the saddles you tired , did the one with the hole in the middle have any effect on sweat ? Does it keep you cooler ? Or is the hole more a design for comfort ?

It’s also interesting you say that your saddle preference differed on your riding position. That’s also something I will maybe have to experience later

steve216c

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 06:51:25 pm »
I have several pairs (in various conditions) of this shoe https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-mount-low-mens-walking-shoes-183075#colcode=18307505 which I find grip well to my pedals, are reasonably breathable and keep my feet mostly dry too. I've tried cyclingshoes with cleats both Shimano and Crankbrothers eggwhisk but never really found shoes that worked well with my clodhopper size 10.5-11 G fitting feet. My platform pedals have raised low studs which hold well with the grips on the shoe come rain or shine.

I've worn padded cycling shorts. There is a good argument for them on longer rides. But agree with the nappy analogy. I don't wear them on my daily 10 mile each way ride to work and back. My backside is used to the saddle that the padding is only nice to have for longer rides.

My daily ride wear is cotton Fruit of the Loom tracksuit bottoms and a cotton T shirt in the winter. Add a kidney belt for really cold days, and then a hi vis outdoor lightweight jacket. Rain resistant on days I don't expect a downpour as these breathe better, and 'breathable' waterproof jackets on rainy days which tend to make you sweat more if not raining to cool you down. Even in just T-shirt and jacket with 0 degrees and frost this morning, I was already warm after 2 km. I have some waterproof legs and shoe covers if lots of rain expected too. As the weather improves I'll ride in T-shirt with my Ikea hi-vis waistcoat and cut of tracky bottoms for shorts. In the warmer weather I seem to sweat less, or at least it evaporates before soaking my T-shirt.
I leave a selection of office clothes at the office so I don't need to carry too much most of the time. I hang my bike clothes to dry out of sight (in a basement room) and these are generally ready for the homebound trip later- which is more downhill so I'll be reasonably dry when I get home without needing to get changed the moment I step in the door. But I also keep a single dry set of clothes and shoes for the once or twice a year I get drenched and clothes are still damp by COB.

Generally I prefer natural fibers but nothing that will become too waterlogged on a ride. I've even ridden 9 miles between office locations in shirt and tie to save changing on arrival.
I did buy some running leggings and have a couple of closer fit bike jackets. Not warm enough quite yet for those, but they are more wind resistant than my baggy cotton track suit bottoms and make lighter work on cool but windier days.

My Brooks saddle is only now becoming molded to my backside after around 2000km. My Selle Royal gel seat before was comfy, but encouraged sweat. The leather on my Brooks seems to let the southern necessity breath a bit better. With Brooks it has not been an instant win, but a gradual conversion of opinion on comfort. I don't have the cutaway on this seat, but have had seats in the past with such a cutaway. Not convinced if the benefit is real on my bum though.

If you are riding for yourself- just wear clothes you are comfortable wearing. Wear 2 T-shirts (or a vest under) if you want one to absorb sweat and the other to hide the damp patches below. This is great if you are passing through but don't want to or cannot change clothes on the way. A chainglider or belt drive might keep your trouser legs clean(er) but avoid wider legs which can catch or snag on other objects too. I bought some cheap stretchy jeans in Matalan which are better for riding than my preferred Wranglers because they stretch while riding. But they are cheap so if they wear through from saddle rub- so what. 3 pairs for 25 quid was what I paid. A single pair of branded jeans will cost you more than that and be too thick to ride comfortably in.

There is always an argument for good sports clothes. Normally it is one you can have with your partner about 'how much was that!?!?!?!' . Just remember the next time you see an overweight teenager with his Nike shoes, his Manchester City shirt and his Adidas track suit legs that none of those items will make him fitter than doing the same in his school PE kit and Plimsoles of yesteryear. Just be active in clothes you are comfortable with when on your bike.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 06:56:54 pm by steve216c »
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

Aleman

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 07:30:13 pm »
Hmmmm, for me it has to be padded cycle shorts/tights and lycra tops. I throw lightweight Rohan bags in the pannier as a pair of non cycling trousers, and cotton T's or a long sleeved cotton shirt for Eating out :D

I have several pairs of cycling shorts with pad thickness suiting Audax distances to really thin pads for triathlon type. I also have a couple of pairs of cotton "pants" with a true chamois lining for under thin trousers. Washing them out isn't too much of a problem at the end of the day, and 2 pairs do not take up to much room in the pannier.

Shoe wise, I use a pair of Giro Rumble Touring SPD shoes with SPD cleats. The cleats are recessed and don't interfere with normal walking on or off trails. I didn't think I was ever going to use clip in pedals but having used both SPD and Look Keo for the last 6 years, I won't go back to platform or toe clips. For my road bike I'm going to give up on the Look Keo (Garmin Vector) pedals and go back to SPD, and I'll use these MTB shoes from Planet-X ... great for cafe stops, and still rigid for a solid platform for long distances.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 07:42:20 pm »
Me, I switched from sandals to light trekking boots. With sandals, there was too much UV exposure on the bike. Sure, you can put sunscreen on your feet, but your feet quickly get grimy from the road, and then it feels gross to reapply sunscreen to those filthy feet.

Also, when walking through the wilderness at day’s end looking for a campsite, it is nice to have some protection from thorns, stinging nettle, or whatever else there might be.

Where are you at my friend ? Did you say you live outside of U.K. ? Yeah, I’m not a fan of sunscreen . Greasy , grimy , sweaty feet that get stung and scratches with thorns and nettles  doesn’t sound like fun lol 😂 although I think the Romans used to sting themselves on purpose to boost their immune system ? Could be an urban myth 🤔

I could maybe do sandals and light socks if that would stop the sunburn

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 10:12:46 pm »
Here's the antidote for soggy thighs and knees https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rainlegs-Black-Waterproof-Protector-Large/dp/B001SEQRCM . They go well with shorts and fairly easy to put on if you encounter significant summer rain. I don't mind soggy lower legs but don't like wet feet. If water gets into Goretex or similar lined shoes then, as noted already, they are slow to dry. That's one advantage of sandals when the weather is warm enough. I spent significant money in the search for what I consider to be good overshoes namely those which can be quickly put on mid-ride. This means they need to open completely at the back, which most don't. My quest ended with some Eager overshoes which were made by a couple of ladies in Wales who used to sell them on ebay. However, they seem to have retired and the only ones remaining are these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eager-Sports-Waterproof-cycling-overshoes-Made-in-Wales/183771921466 . Most overshoes need to be put on with the shoe removed - not easy if standing by the side of a road. They also tend to be very tight fitting and a challenge to pull over the footwear.

I've never managed to generate enough heat to be worried about how much ventilation a saddle provides and I find that baggy shorts provide fairly good ventilation for that part of the body. The benefit I've noticed of having a slot in the middle of a saddle is that the two sides have more flexibility to move independently as the legs move.

And we haven't touched on helmets yet. I want a visor which is big enough to keep the rain off my specs and low sunshine out of my eyes. Most helmets have small visors which are necessary for those who cycle with their heads well down and the choice of helmets with larger visors is more limited. I've also retro-fitted my helmets with some mesh on the front holes (some helmets come with this fitted) as it's discomforting to have a bee fly in one of the front holes and not figure out how to leave.

PH

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 12:58:37 am »
It's way too big a subject to offer much advice, so this is general rather than specific - Play around with it and when you find what works for you, go buy the best quality of that type.  This has worked for me, I've ended up with very little cycling gear, but it all suits me perfectly, none of it will be replaced till it wears out, which in some cases will be never. My favourite makes are - Showers Pass, Rohan, Howies and Vulpine, some of it looks eye wateringly expensive, but a £70 shirt that you wear 15 weeks a year for more than ten years is better value than one that keeps getting replaced.
I stopped using SPD's last year after an accident left it painful to twist out of them, after using them for the last twenty years on every ride I'm surprised how much I miss them - not at all.  I'm still playing around with shoe and pedal combinations, but they're all OK and I can't see my going back to SPD's.  I'm not saying what's right or wrong, but sometimes we do things because everyone else does and then discover there was no advantage...
Saddles, yes I know it's personal, I'm a convert to Brooks C17's, I'm gradually moving the whole fleet onto them, saddles I thought were OK seem a lot less comfortable after riding a C17.
Padded shorts - again it's personal, I do most of my riding in non padded underwear, but most of that will be on and off the bike, maybe all day, maybe 60-80 miles, but rarely an hour in the saddle without a break. When I have longer days with few breaks, I use padded bibs, Howies and Vulpine.  I might be OK on some of these rides without padding, but by the time I'll discover that's a mistake it'll be too late.  I also have some padded underwear with much thinner padding than shorts, they're OK but the riding I used to use them for is fine without on a C17.

PH

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 12:26:56 pm »
Here's the antidote for soggy thighs and knees https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rainlegs-Black-Waterproof-Protector-Large/dp/B001SEQRCM .
At that price they're certainly worth trying, I know several riders who swear by them, but they didn't suit me, the straps would rub and snag and the mesh at the front was right where the water from my race cut jacket runs off.  Worth the experiment and were easy to sell on for not much loss.  For the same principal of being waterproof where it needs it, while being more comfortable elsewhere, I find these trousers fantastic, as they should be at 5X the price
https://showerspass.co.uk/collections/mens-pants/products/skyline-pant

For dry feet, I've also used the Eagar overshoes which used to be available via the CTC shop, they are good and have the advantage of fitting over all shoes if you get the right size, I still have a pair somewhere, though they're in need of repair.  If it's likely to be very wet, I now use waterproof socks, they've come on a long way since the early attempts by Sealskin, now there's plenty of choice and as long as your shoes have enough room, it's possible to have warm, dry, comfortable feet all day. The disadvantage compared with overshoes is of course you still have shoes that need drying out and can be filthy.  It amuses me to see cyclists go to so much trouble to stay dry and not have guards/flaps fitted, IMO it's more effective than any clothing, or at the very least it gives the clothing a better chance of working well - Yes I know I'm preaching tot he converted here...

I'm quite lucky in that I make some money from using a bike for takeaway deliveries. I don't like to waste it, but a couple of hundred quid on the right clothing easily pays for itself by working when I might otherwise not.  It's also a good test of gear, not just the hours, but there's more money to be made when the conditions are bad, so I'm often riding when I wouldn't do so for pleasure.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2021, 02:37:27 pm »
If you’ve never tried soft shell stuff it’s worth a shot

I went and bought a few different used north face jackets/fleeces off eBay a couple years ago to try and was really impressed

The soft shell is really rugged and keeps its shape well so it always looks pretty good. It’s light, you can fold it down small and Chuck it in a bag. Many have water resistant coating . They have a nice chest pocket for your phone/wallet and other pockets inside for phones and routing of headphone cables if that’s your thing.

The only thing I wasn’t a fan of on SOME north face stuff was the higher cut , I like a bit of length at the back, especially if cycling . But, they are very comfy and obviously they are cut that way more for climbing oriented activity .

For cycling In hotter weather they are really worth a shot, and they work well in blocking your neck and arms from sunburn. Can leave them unzipped and wear a t shirt underneath. When it gets a bit chillier then just zip it up and synch it up to keep out the wind.

My journey with north face peaked when I bought a north face apex goretex jacket . I’ve never been happier , it’s just brilliant . Ideal for going anywhere as it’s smart but casual and works perfectly for cycling . Got a hood to keep rain off. It’s got pit zips to dump too much heat out. I picked it up off eBay from a seller in Poland. This is the same jacket I have . Doesn’t look very glamorous or interesting in these photos but I’m not sure I could find a better jacket for my needs. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-North-Face-Apex-Flex-GTX-Hooded-Rain-Jacket-Sz-Large-/154396331942?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

I was not a fan of north face fleece stuff . Well to be fair , fleeces In general . But, that’s mainly because of pet hair . And how they look a bit rough after a while . They are very comfy tho.

I just bought a few cotton hoody’s from next and U.K. reminded how cozy they are, especially as a layer under my north face jacket .

Another thing I liked was just a plain old baseball cap. Keep the sun off your head /neck. I like wearing them under the hood of my jacket. I look a bit drug dealer but they are great for keeping the rain /snow/sunshine off your face .

Im not really a fan of berghaus style jackets. I like the look and style but it’s just the crinkliness of the material after a while. Vanity I guess ! I used to have a 3/4 length jacket with internal fleece jacket that could be zipped in and out which was ok but nothing special. The shell on its own is not very comfortable against bare arms if you have a T-shirt underneath . Fussy or wot?! 😆
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 02:48:03 pm by ourclarioncall »