Author Topic: Nomad mk2 bottom bracket  (Read 2364 times)

ourclarioncall

Nomad mk2 bottom bracket
« on: April 12, 2021, 06:33:23 pm »
On a nomad mk2 of similar style bottom bracket , is there any way the bolts that pinch into the gold coloured shell thingy can get damaged ? In other words could I potentially buy a lemon in buying a used nomad mk2

To be more specific maybe I’m thinking if the bits the bolts go through that press/pinch into the bottom bracket sheet can get worn or the threads can get damaged over time ? Hope that makes sense

ourclarioncall

Re: Nomad mk2 bottom bracket
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 02:17:55 am »
In the same vain as my last question...

Is there anything I need to watch out for when buying a used Thorn bike?

in4

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 06:09:19 am »
Hmm I’m not sure there is a Thorn specific answer to that question. I take the view that people who buy Thorn bikes, or other ‘premium’ brands are more likely to look after their bikes than not. I’m on my third Thorn and my two previous ones were in fantastic used condition when I bought them. Anecdotal evidence of course and would not stand up in a court of law but you see what I mean. Have a look on a well known site for further info and examples. Also SJS have demo bikes for sale. Check their site out. Good luck

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114755569911
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 06:13:51 am by in4 »

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 08:53:09 am »
If those bolts have pointed ends (I think they have) then the BB shell will suffer before the threads on the frame get stripped. Also, as it't a steel frame then repair, should it be necessary, would be much easier than with an aluminium frame.