Author Topic: KMC X8 as suitable replacement for X1/E1  (Read 2989 times)

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
KMC X8 as suitable replacement for X1/E1
« on: April 07, 2021, 11:47:43 am »
Am I correct in thinking that the KMC X8 can be used to replace a KMC X1 chain on my Thorn Sterling Rohloff? I seem to recall it being mentioned some time ago.
Brian.

PH

Re: KMC X8 as suitable replacement for X1/E1
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 01:03:05 pm »
Yes.  8 speed chains are fine (Probably other speeds as well), I used to use them but have had better longevity with specific single speed ones.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 01:08:18 pm »
Thanks for the confirmation PH.
Brian.

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 04:31:25 pm »
I have used KMC X8 for years. I think it is better than its single-speed sisters, the Z- series, which is anyway not as generally available. Seems to me that the flex of the derailleur-intended X8 makes it more durable. In any event, I get extraordinary mileages, for me, on the X8.

How many miles did you get on the X1, Brian, and how does it compare with the chain you had before?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 11:29:19 pm by Andre Jute »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 06:14:44 pm »
Looking at some figures I kept:
I'm now running a KMC X1 EcoProTeQ
From 14 August 2019.
Under my Chainglider it has now done 6,000 miles and my 'stretch' is less than 0.5.

Previous chain was a KMC X1.
Under the Chainglider it was replaced at just over 0.5 having traveled 5,680 miles, over 28 months.

Hope the figures are of interest.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 11:43:32 pm »
Looking at some figures I kept:
I'm now running a KMC X1 EcoProTeQ
From 14 August 2019.
Under my Chainglider it has now done 6,000 miles and my 'stretch' is less than 0.5.

Previous chain was a KMC X1.
Under the Chainglider it was replaced at just over 0.5 having traveled 5,680 miles, over 28 months.

Hope the figures are of interest.

Very definitely of interest, Matt.

Everybody doesn't wear chains at the same rate, so we also need to know which chain you used before and your mileage on that chain.

Example: before I discovered KMC and the Chainglider, on the usual branded low-end chains like the Shimano's Nexus and the PC1, I strained to make a 1000miles and never broke 2000km, but on the KMC upper-level Z and X under a Chainglider my chain life nearly trebled, to 4600km at 0.5mm wear. That won't sound like a big deal to many on the forum, but to me it was a tremendous advance, and I don't even dream of the distances you get on a chain. Not that I care to be a chain-mileage champ, but if there is a chain that goes further than the X8 per pound spent, I want to hear about it.

steve216c

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 07:00:56 am »
I run Connex 808 6/7/8 speed chain on my bike having trawled forums on whether single speed chain is better or not. I’m currently on 8600km with this chain on.

I bought the bike 2nd hand with worn single speed well worn chain and not enough history to compare life spans, but some posts I recall suggested that derailleur chains are as strong, others suggest they could be robuster than single speed chains due to the changing chain line angle on derailleur bikes.

One advantage over single speed chains is price. Most likely due to economies of scale, derailleur chains tent to be slightly cheaper than single speed chains.

I have had better experience with Connex 808 vs Shimano and SRAM chains longevity in over 50,000km of derailleur riding, with up to a third more distance before chain skip issues meant cassette and chain swap. I rarely got more than 4000km on the latter, but the Connex 808 would give me 6000/6500km typically.

When I bought my bike I used a new Connex 808 I had as spare at home once established I didn’t need to purchase single speed chain especially. No issues thus far.

I recently passed 0.75 on chain stretch tool. I’ve adjusted dropouts and still have a bit of room for more stretch. I believe single speed set ups are more forgiving than derailleur on chain stretch performance.

I won’t get into a KMC vs Connex debate, but would suggest a decent quality 8 speed chain should present few performance issues as alternative to single speed chain. They are often cheaper to purchase and based on other posts I have read, may even be more robust and than single speed chains. Even if not, the ground will not open up and swallow you for installing one. It should work fine.

If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

PhilD28

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 12:06:32 pm »
I'm using the KMC B1 wide to good effect. It's a bushed chain so requires careful oiling but is cheap, good quality, quiet and seems to last a long time. Currently paying about 6 quid for them.