Author Topic: Is the Nomad Mk3 stiffness-certified for Gates belt drive?  (Read 2276 times)

WorldTourer

Is the Nomad Mk3 stiffness-certified for Gates belt drive?
« on: February 21, 2021, 01:37:03 am »
So I just unpacked a brand-new Rohloff Speedhub that I’m thinking about putting into a Nomad Mk3 frame. I am concerned, however, by the claim in the Rohloff paperwork that using a Gates belt drive with a non-approved frame will void the Rohloff's warranty. The Nomad Mk3 is not actually on Gates’ list of approved frames. Has Thorn in fact certified with Gates that the Nomad Mk3 frame is sufficiently stiff to Gates’ standards?

pinkbunnyok96

Re: Is the Nomad Mk3 stiffness-certified for Gates belt drive?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 04:46:30 pm »
this is probly no help whatsoever but isn't the woranty with the shop (st john street) so if they have sold you a bike frame spec for belt drive and it causes the hub to fail then they are liable ,I have been advised by some one who has been running a belt drive for a few years to run it slacker than recommended reason a tout belt will ruin wheel and b/b bearings but a slack belt will ride off its pulleys getting the tension right is the trick I have adj my belt so it is as tout as a chain I hope this is of some help

UKTony

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 06:49:50 pm »
For the avoidance of any doubt, if I were you I’d wing an email to Thorn cycles,(maybe cc’d to Gates),  so you’ve got a definitive answer in writing.

in4

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 08:12:32 pm »
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/frames/50l-thorn-nomad-mk3-frame-gunmetal-imron/?geoc=AU

Yes, a quick email is best.

I cannot imagine Thorn selling a frame suitable for a Gates belt drive without performing all necessary due diligence beforehand. The ramifications of doing otherwise are beyond me!

ourclarioncall

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 03:21:46 pm »
Any update on this ?

Robin Thorn

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 08:16:33 am »
OK!!!! I've not read through this thread but like all other bike businesses in the world we are incredibly busy!
Here's the absolute truth. We received the spec for the test (some years ago) and INTENDED to send it directly to our agents in Taiwan to undertake the test and send the results to Gates so that we could be "approved"... for whatever reason, to the best of my understanding this never happened. But look....
1) see how strong and beefy our Nomad frames have always been, can you imagine that they might not be stiff enough? HOW could people successfully load them up far past their stated load limit and cycle round the world without handling issues?
2) Have you see some of things that are approved, come on...
3) We offer a 100 day money back guarantee on all Rohloff complete bike sales, were our offering a pile of useless #### wouldn't we be inundated with return bikes?
4) Do you really want/need a Gates belt?? I am not going into the pros and cons here as I don't intend to read the further replies or answer any subsequent questions, although in fact I might!
If you are considering a frame only purchase (which does not have the 100 day money back guarantee) or feel you or would like to discuss this further with me, the only guaranteed way to get a reply is to email me (robin@sjscycles.com) or call me on +447768057585