Author Topic: N+1 syndrome  (Read 2900 times)

in4

N+1 syndrome
« on: February 21, 2021, 02:36:52 am »
Fellow sufferers are encouraged to increase their torment by following this link!

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/new-used-cycles-frames/?geoc=AU

leftpoole

Re: N+1 syndrome
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 11:57:37 am »
Some particularly expensive bikes!

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 07:20:24 pm »
Wow, >£3k for already built bikes, I think I would have wanted to specify every bolt for that! Nice to look at but beyond what I’d want to pay. I wonder if German parts are suddenly more expensive.

PH

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 08:50:30 pm »
Wow, >£3k for already built bikes, I think I would have wanted to specify every bolt for that! Nice to look at but beyond what I’d want to pay. I wonder if German parts are suddenly more expensive.
Yes and no.  When I bought my first Mercury, I already had the Rohloff, a decent dynamo front wheel and quite a bit of other kit.  Yet by the time I'd bought the frameset and the bits that I didn't have, plus, had the Rohloff altered to suit, I'm sure I'd have been better off buying a complete bike and selling what I already had. 
I know the idea of specifying everything is appealing, but I bet there isn't a huge variation in what people actually choose. Despite the prices those bikes are still a fair saving on the full price, if it just needs a few bits changing it could be worth considering, plus you'd skip the build queue which seems likely to lengthen.  There's not a huge discount, but i don't think anyone would expect there to be. As always the market will decide.

In the meantime I've succumbed to +1, well sort of, I'd intended to sort through some stuff and have a clear out, but instead ended up buying the bits to make those spares into another bike. I blame lockdown boredom, I don't really need another bike, I don't really have anywhere to put it either...

WorldTourer

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 09:23:09 am »
In 2013 I built my own bike from the frame up, with a Rohloff and high-end parts from e.g. Thomson and Tubus, and the price was significantly more than a built Nomad from Thorn or other touring builders’ equivalents. Now, in 2021 I just built a similar bike for my partner, and the price ended up being about the same as a pre-made bike, though with even better parts.

What happened in recent years – at least for those of us on the continent – is that there are many more online bikeshops. If you have a few months to spare, it is easier to shop around until you find a part that is on sale in one shop and significantly cheaper than in others. Ditto for wheelbuilders. Also, the perception that 26" bikes like the Surly Troll are now obsolete has led to some sales on the framesets alone, even though if you buy just the frameset (and not the complete bike with 26" wheels) you aren’t limited to 26" but can install 650B too.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 09:32:30 am by WorldTourer »

leftpoole

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 10:38:00 am »

In the meantime I've succumbed to +1, well sort of, I'd intended to sort through some stuff and have a clear out, but instead ended up buying the bits to make those spares into another bike. I blame lockdown boredom, I don't really need another bike, I don't really have anywhere to put it either...

Regarding the N+1 syndrome......
I had 2 frames (a Thorn Sherpa in black & a Thorn Audax in red) hanging in the roof of my bike shed/workspace. A few weeks ago I built the Sherpa, It looks great. I am contemplating building the Audax. I have far more than is healthy in parts to build it. (I have already sold one of my (3) Thorn Audax 853 bikes..) But once built it will mean nowhere to keep it properly. I have bikes indoors and in said work shed. So all those parts would end up being sold as a complete bike which has cost possibly the same as a Thorn build. BUT it is my build. It is my bike (or shall be rather). The satisfaction of a personal build is wonderful. Can 'you' build a bike to a fabulous standard?
So, my N+1 is at present going to stay N+ waiting for space. Space now means selling a bike! Heavens above-No!

geocycle

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 06:19:44 pm »
Yes I agree about using these as a basis from which to build. I did much the same with my second Thorn. I suppose in 2006 I just about got used to bikes costing three digits, then I’ve recently realised they start with a 2 and now I have to educate myself to think £3k can be justified in the longer term!

Aleman

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 10:50:35 am »
Wow, >£3k for already built bikes, I think I would have wanted to specify every bolt for that.
A Rohloff hub will set you back over a grand ... so in terms of that they not all that expensive ... and when I think about the >6K Canyon are asking for the plastic Endurace CF 9.0 it really puts it into perspective for me.

energyman

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 01:26:06 pm »
Farming out two bikes to grown up offspring means there is now more room in the bike house.  I knew there was a good reason to have children. :)

Andre Jute

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 05:53:38 pm »
Farming out two bikes to grown up offspring means there is now more room in the bike house.  I knew there was a good reason to have children. :)

My spare bikes are so far up in the loft that is a huge hassle bringing one down, so they never get used. But sometimes I think about buying a new bike just so the bikes in the loft, where they're no doubt pretty bored, can have something to talk about.

PH

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 08:32:21 pm »
[
A Rohloff hub will set you back over a grand ... so in terms of that they not all that expensive ...
yes, it's easy to lose track of prices, the Rohloff hub I bought last year was almost as much as the complete Raven I bought in 2004.  The Mercury frameset was a couple of hundred more than I paid for the complete Raven. 
Of course you don't have to spend that sort of money to get a decent bike, but there's nothing wrong with spending your money on whatever makes you happy, and my bikes do. 
I found this an interesting perspective if you have a bit of time to kill
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvh1AqwFUlM

tyreon

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 02:58:26 pm »
I love hearing about your new bikes. It sounds odd,but that's just the way it is. I also like looking at all your new builds. Like,too,thinking about you building your new builds: I know there's some real thought behind it all. I havent got the time or the knowledge to put all these things together( I dont think it would sit well with my marriage or stamina). I'm ageing a tad and got some aches,pains and wotnot: not the man I was! I like to see a new bike out on the road. It's lovely to see a gleaming new build,all well cared for. All this said,I'm not sure how well I would handle a new build,and one of quality. I wonder whether it would be too precious to ride. I think I'd find myself going out on only fine days. Theseadays,I do less mileage cos of age and other factors. I also go slower to contemplate the country(or that's my excuse,I never could be a road man/racer)To be out with the sun and good country and views...can't be a better heaven. Strange to say,tho I'm retired I dont seem to have the time to clock up the touring miles. This bloody covid has also impeded on me getting in my last miles of new journeys. Cycle touring with tent makes it the best. As I wnt to remain married I now cycle tour with modest accommodation,now most often with folder(s) for ease of assisted train or bus travel,or for leaving big connurbations without getting lost! I dont think I could have an overlarge stable of steeds for feel of not using them enough. Its always nice to see nice bikes. Please let us have some good weather this year.  Really hating this covid business.

leftpoole

Re: N+1 syndrome kind of high-jacked a little!
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 04:30:16 pm »
I am nearly 71 and my health is dreadful. Aches and pains I have numerous. Medication 21 pills per day. Building bikes is therapeutic, very time consuming and certainly enjoyable. It is, I am afraid rather expensive.
 But I do not smoke, I have no pets, I have no partner.I was left alone  by by wife after 29 years. It hurt. But I am certainly getting back on my feet again.
At my age no chance (hope ?) of another 'proper' relationship unless I win the Lottery which I seldom partake in.
If I were a wealthy man I would buy a New Series Stainless Moulton. I would also donate a great deal.
 My daughter would be a beneficiary and my neighbours also.
 Most certainly a real car. By that I mean a proper wealthy persons car-Aston Martin (?) or even very likely a Ducati and Triumph Bonneville Motorcycles!
I would buy a new house, still small but with a massive shed/workshop attached. Why? So that I could build bicycles of course!  ;D ;D ;D

tyreon

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 05:30:52 pm »
Sitting in this afto waiting for flooring man to call to quote for new flooring. Had a tea and as I fell across Pashley I decided to view this content. Maybe its the sorta bike I could be riding,or would choose to ride. No spoilers. I just wonder about it all. I,too,like the aesthetics,but in total some things seem to have gone wrong. Contributor seems a reasoned chap. No association with the man. Interesting review of bicycle and cycle stuff. Wondered what others might think of it all

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=pashley+bikes%3a+the+pashley+morgan&&view=detail&mid=BD58EEB96A666ADCD27CBD58EEB96A666ADCD27C&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpashley%2Bbikes%253a%2Bthe%2Bpashley%2Bmorgan%26FORM%3DHDRSC3

leftpoole

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 10:04:18 am »
Great video!!! Not. The guy loves the sound of his own voice. He hates Chinese. He complains so much about bikes he takes people to Court!!
Totally worth watching, but the reporter is a complaining whiunger. He is what nastiness is all about. I feel sorry for the people he buys bikes from.
Thank you for showing this link.