Author Topic: gates drive  (Read 10063 times)

pinkbunnyok96

gates drive
« on: February 10, 2021, 09:22:31 am »
will thorn be bringing to market a gates drive bycycle . i would order one tomorrow if they did use a gates drive bike for comuting an absolut god send so many used round the world touring i don not see a prob with life time

JohnR

Re: gates drive
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 10:41:07 am »
There might be a comment about the belt drive in the Thorn Bible http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/thorn_mega_brochure.pdf but I can't see it. I'm sure that they wouldn't be keen on making an opening in a high quality steel frame.

I've got a non-Thorn bike with a Gates CDX drive gathering dust in the back of the garage. They aren't as low-maintenance as you may believe. I used it during winter 19-20 and kept checking the bike for the source of disconcerting creaking noises. Eventually, in the spring, I gave the belt a very good scrub and the noises disappeared. Plus there's the substantial cost of adjusting the gearing ratio if found necesary and the running costs add up.

Last summer I bought a Mercury and have fitted it with a Hebie Chainglider http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13973.0. When spring arrives I'll look inside the plastic casing and check the condition of the chain but it's currently running smoothly and not making any worrying noises. The Chainglider might add a little friction to the transmission but no worse than due to a belt drive.

UKTony

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 11:45:01 am »
“There might be a comment about the belt drive in the Thorn Bible http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/thorn_mega_brochure.pdf but I can't see it. I'm sure that they wouldn't be keen on making an opening in a high quality steel frame. “

The Mk 3 Nomad has a joint in the lower end of the seat stay to cater for a belt drive.
T.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 12:26:19 pm »
The Mk 3 Nomad has a joint in the lower end of the seat stay to cater for a belt drive.
T.
Thanks for correcting me. This is mentioned in the Nomad brochure http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/BUILD6NOMAD650bROHLOFF.pdf and visible in the photos.

steve216c

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 12:27:44 pm »
you might want to read page 21 of http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornLivingWithARohloff_LoRes.pdf which suggests that belt drives are not as maintenance free as they are often touted.

SheldonBrown's fabled website doesn't rate them too highly either http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornLivingWithARohloff_LoRes.pdf

They may work for you in some cases, but a clean chain protected by a Hebie Chainglider might give you almost as many of the promised KM of a gates drive but at a fraction of the cost when it comes to servicing/maintaining.

I've never owned a Gates drive belt bike, but having read into them, I was ultimately put off by users who'd posted let downs they#d experience with the technology not living up to the promises. I am sure there are sitations where belt is best. But perhaps many more when chain trumps belt on many other levels.
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

steve216c

If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

energyman

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 01:49:36 pm »
I have both belt & chain drive bikes and to be honest the belt wins on maintenance.  I have owned cars with both belt & chain thingies under the bonnet and I couldn't tell the difference or worried about them either. 
On a group tour I was asked to carry a spare belt as the back up van didn't.
They are a bit lighter than a chain too.
Good conversation piece though !  :)

WorldTourer

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 02:04:51 pm »
Steve, the thread here that you linked to, in which a person complains about maintenance, was complaining about the first-generation Gates sprocket. Like the normal chain sprocket for Rohloff, that used to be threaded and a pain to get off. But now Gates, like Rohloff, has switched to a splined carrier for its sprockets.

The Thorn brochure's notes on the Gates drive is also several years old.

I have met enough satisfied Gates users on long tours now, and read very positive reports from others like Alee Denham, to feel that the tech is now mature. I am planning to switch this year myself.

I do not recommend a Hebie Chainglider. I had one for a few thousand kilometers, but it failed to keep the chain clean in dusty terrain and constantly required tweaking for smooth and noiseless operation. I eventually ended up ripping the Chainglider off my bike in frustration at a Peru truck stop and throwing it away.

A Hebie Chainglider also won't give you anywhere near the mileage of a belt. Chains wear out not because of contamination but stretching.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 02:13:12 pm by WorldTourer »

Captain Bubble

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 08:49:20 pm »
Steve, the thread here that you linked to, in which a person complains about maintenance, was complaining about the first-generation Gates sprocket. Like the normal chain sprocket for Rohloff, that used to be threaded and a pain to get off. But now Gates, like Rohloff, has switched to a splined carrier for its sprockets.

The Thorn brochure's notes on the Gates drive is also several years old.

I have met enough satisfied Gates users on long tours now, and read very positive reports from others like Alee Denham, to feel that the tech is now mature. I am planning to switch this year myself.

I do not recommend a Hebie Chainglider. I had one for a few thousand kilometers, but it failed to keep the chain clean in dusty terrain and constantly required tweaking for smooth and noiseless operation. I eventually ended up ripping the Chainglider off my bike in frustration at a Peru truck stop and throwing it away.

A Hebie Chainglider also won't give you anywhere near the mileage of a belt. Chains wear out not because of contamination but stretching.

I agree. I have had a gates belt drive bike for a couple of years now and it is has performed faultlessly. Rohloff with Gates CDX belt, rear sprocket and front belt ring. My foray into IHG started with Alfine 8 but that soon proved a bad choice so I got a Rohloff 14 speed hub which has been a revelation in comparison. Started off with a chain with the chainglider cover which did ok, but a belt is better, much lighter, pretty much silent and all you need to do is occasionally hose it down if it gets dirty. No faffing about with getting the glider case on or off. Belt drive is a no brainer really. The only upgrade I can see to this is a Pinion 18spd centrally mounted gear box with belt drive. Maybe I get one of those in a few years. Either a Van Nicholas Devron or Smokestone ti fat bike withe with Pinion 18 spd gear box and belt drive would be nice.

pinkbunnyok96

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 04:23:26 pm »
just clicked on to the veer split drive belt drive,  it says "convert any bike to belt drive all for £500" seems a very good system. now i can buy my third thorn and have the best of all worlds) the thorns i have  sport tour 35,000 miles curntly thorn mercury 66,000 miles and allso a cube hyde race 3,000 miles

i

pinkbunnyok96

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 07:22:10 pm »
just ordered a vere split belt drive  front pully 2*belts riveting tool $526 lets see how that goes

energyman

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 09:51:09 pm »
Please let us know how it goes.
This should be interesting !

pinkbunnyok96

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 12:28:33 pm »
phone call on wed 17 feb 2021 2 to 5 days shipping $529 how much tax to pay on delivery?
looked at chain and sprockets thjis morn totally shot . how much for thorn and rohloff kit?>

PH

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 02:45:04 pm »
phone call on wed 17 feb 2021 2 to 5 days shipping $529 how much tax to pay on delivery?
looked at chain and sprockets thjis morn totally shot . how much for thorn and rohloff kit?>
I've just had a glance and they're priced for the UK in £.  The $ price might includes sales tax which you shouldn't pay.
So import costs will probably be, 4.7% of the goods value, plus 20% VAT on the total including delivery cost.  But if it was my money I wouldn't trust a stranger on a forum before committing!
It's interesting but expensive, I can't put a value on how interesting someone would find the experience, but my transmission costs are well under 1p a mile so it's hard to see it being cost effective. 

pinkbunnyok96

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 04:21:59 pm »
sod the price lets see how good they are, if its half as good as my cube gates drive it will be $530 well spent only the owner can judge wether its money well spent or not veers owm web site (U,S,A,) so no stranger involved 2 to 5 days shipping