Author Topic: Gloves for Rohloff  (Read 4318 times)

PH

Re: Gloves for Rohloff
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2021, 10:47:40 pm »
These are the warmest of those I'm trying from the link above (Model 295).  I've been out walking in them over the last couple of days and my hands have been the warmest part of me in the freezing temperatures. But as soon as the temperature rises a couple of degrees, they're to warm and my hands get clammy, though that's preferable to cold!  I haven't used them in prolonged rain yet, though they've shrugged off a couple of light showers with ease.  The only thing that makes them less than ideal on the bike is the cuffs are a bit short, so draughty, there are some similar models with longer cuffs, but when I ordered they didn't have my size in stock.  The construction it tough, probably more so than most cycling gloves, they are work gloves after all, the palm is soft goatskin.  And the price - £14, I wonder what gloves of this quality would cost in a bike shop?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 10:49:26 pm by PH »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2021, 10:57:14 pm »
For cold weather, these have held up nicely over two years' late fall/winter/early spring use on my T-bar mounted Rohloff shifter...

http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13600.msg101236#msg101236

Best,

Dan.

martinf

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2021, 08:51:22 am »
For winter use in dry weather I have cheap ski gloves, marked "Thinsulate Insulation 40 gram". The outer material looks like a dense fibre pile, there is a simili leather reinforcement on the palm and thumb. They were about 5 Euros a pair when I got a couple of pairs about 5 years ago

These are thin enough to allow easy use of controls, and generally good for me down to about -2°C.

When it rains, it is usually warm enough here to do without gloves. I have never found an entirely satisfactory glove for wet weather.

For cold rain and extreme cold conditions I have a pair of Caldo Goretex mittens. These have a Goretex outer shell and what seems to be a slightly fluffy and rather thick fibre pile inner. And long flared cuffs that cover my forearm halfway to the elbow. They were very expensive when I bought them more than 20 years ago. They have lasted a long time because I don't need to use them very often.

These mittens are bulky, so control is a bit harder, but I don't find this to be a problem, I can still operate the brakes and gear change on hub gear bikes (I don't ride my remaining derailleur bike in wet or extremely cold weather). They work (for me) down to -15°C (never had to try lower temperatures). They are big enough to fit a thin inner glove, so should be OK for even lower temperatures if you do that. In cold rain, they eventually get damp inside via rain entering through the cuff and my hands sweating, but they still keep my hands reasonably warm.

Going to use them this morning, together with the studded tyres, it is currently snowing here.