Author Topic: Fitting mudguards using the "Danneaux method"  (Read 2215 times)

kwkirby01

Fitting mudguards using the "Danneaux method"
« on: January 21, 2021, 08:35:22 pm »
...or should that be “fender”  :).

I recently bought a a pair 55mm 26” mudguards for my Sherpa to replace my much loved Berthoud stainless steel mudguards which were too narrow for my new Dureme tyres.

I looked through the forum for tips on mudguard fitting and came across this post from Dan.

I tried the same method, using a length of hosepipe as a spacer and it works a treat.

1) Tape the hosepipe to the tyre.

2) Tape the mudguard on top.

3) Position the wheel in he right place for the mudguard, then secure the brake.

4) Finally, fit the stays, spacers and fork bolt.

5) The final result looked like this and I also added SKS rubber mud flaps front and rear, which are surprisingly robust.

The front mudguard was straightforward, but getting the back mudguard attached to my rack “Thorn style” was tough!

I always find cutting the mudguard stays difficult, but this time I bought a small Dremel cutting wheel and adapter which made the job much easier (the Dremel tool fitted in my cordless drill, so need for a separate Dremel tool).

The rear mudguard isn’t perfect, but it’s a lot better than I could of done without Dan’s method - so thanks Dan!

Kevin

Kevin K. Glasgow

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Fitting mudguards using the "Danneaux method"
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 08:54:06 pm »
...thanks Dan!
You're very welcome, Kevin; I'm delighted it helped. :) You sure achieved a good-looking result.

I've found it makes it much faster and more accurate to get a good "fenderline" with the mudguard.

Stacks of coins taped together and then taped to the centerline of the fully inflated tire casing can substitute for the tubing if tubing is not available.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 05:07:13 am by Danneaux »

Tiberius

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 08:09:22 am »
I missed that first time 'round - A great tip, top job.

leftpoole

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 10:09:43 am »
Easy idea. But, I cannot for the life of me understand why?
It is so easy to use those things in the front of ones head, you know, 'eyes'. Simply attached at fork crown using spacer washers to add the required (for your style and type of riding) big gap or little gap between tyre and mudguard. Line up using the tyre as a guide. Fix the top spokes each side. Same with lower spoke. Then loosen the nuts on spokes, slide mudguard down spokes and cut off the ends to make them safe but most importantly, to make the finished job look better. This part requires a cutter which one should borrow, beg or? Buy one it will be useful for when you do all those other cutting jobs. Only then is the job complete.
Of course the secret of success is to do your own thing, and not copy others!
John
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 10:18:10 am by leftpoole »

UKTony

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 02:53:21 pm »

The front mudguard was straightforward, but getting the back mudguard attached to my rack “Thorn style” was tough!

I’ve  found this too but for future reference this has useful pictures on how to create the W fitting that Thorn  use to attach stays to rack:-

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/thorn-ferrule-for-creating-w-mudguard-stays-for-thorntubus-racks-each/

For cutting stays I bought  Knipex wire cutters #71 02 200 they’re good for  up to 3.6mm Piano wire and a good investment IMO.