Author Topic: Is there a better way?  (Read 3528 times)

ourclarioncall

Re: Is there a better way?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 03:11:08 pm »
Saying that , I’d almost prefer to never leave bags on my bike for the very reason that it is attractive and the inquisitive mind wonders “what’s in them?!”

If there’s no bags they may well just walk on.

You could leave bags semi open I suppose so they can see there is nothing in them .

Oh its so complicated 😁

j-ms

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 05:53:52 pm »
Leaving panniers on bikes depends on where you are.  Near any major town/city I wouldn't dream of doing it.  However, in remote country areas of Chilean Patagonia, Japan and South Africa (yes, even in the good ol' crime-ridden RSA) we even sleep with our panniers still hanging on our bikes.  It all depends on where you are.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2021, 06:13:14 pm »
Anyone know the process of prototyping a product?

My idea is something a bit like a “Gunter’s Chain” (never heard of it before )

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Gunter%27s_chain

Basically I’m thinking one piece of thick metal rod with a loop on both ends. Made of one piece of metal , the loops at both ends would have to be welded to close the gap. But actually maybe it wouldn’t , maybe their could be a few mm gap. As the next “link” in the chain would be going through that hole in the loop anyway, pretty tight, but loose enough to give enough play so the chain could have a measure of flexibility. Dunno 🤷‍♂️

Basically the straight length area of the rod would be the weakest area and inviting the grinder , but that would have to be thick enough to give the highest angle grinder times available of everything currently on the market. I would think in theory that I could make a lighter chain with equal grinder time in comparison to what’s on the the market . I could also make the “links” twice as long or quadruple , to save on weight as there would be less shortening from making multiple loops.

I don’t know much about strength, as In , if a normal chain would be much stronger than my proposed idea of say it were being pulled my a car or train , but a typical theft probably is not going to involve pulling force

ourclarioncall

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2021, 06:59:35 pm »
Reading through YouTube comments from about 4 years back , it’s claimed that Almax and Pragmasis chains are made at the same place, but use different methods. Some of The pragmasis chains is claimed to use inferior heat treatment

The 16mm and 19mm Pragmasis claimed to be weaker at the weld and inconsistent on the links (some soft, some brittle) because of being heated in a pile instead of laid out on a rack like more expensive chains

Apparently Almax chains are quadruple heated

But when Bennett’s reviewed them, it seemed they were pretty close under testing . In fact I got the feeling after reading much on them the Pragmasis may be the better choice .
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 04:08:30 pm by ourclarioncall »