Author Topic: Bought 250ml X2 of flush/ all season oil 14 yrs ago ...chuck it or keep using ?  (Read 2106 times)

willywombat

Firstly this doesn't relate to the new speedhub service I posted about below...New oil will be used for that for obvious reasons .
Basically I have a 15 yr old hub and recently came across 2 X 250ml flush/ all season oil packs I'd bought in 2007 and forgotten about . They had been opened and a small amount used .
I know 5 yrs is the supposed shelf life that's quoted when this issue is raised but wondered in reality if I can use these older oils for future annual services without too much worry . I don't  do  high mileages and would probably change the oil twice annually if I do use it . Like everyone I hate wasting money .
Any opinions
Cheers
Bill

PH

I've just come to the end of the oil I bought with my Raven in 2004.  Hub has run fine, the tins had no use by date or date of manufacture to reference when any period would start.  The labels on the new oil do have a date on them, though no use by date, they're also considerably different oils in appearance.   The older oil did sperate a little, it just needed a shake before use.  I had no qualms about using it, but neither am I suggesting you do.

Tiberius

I'm not saying that you should or shouldn't use it, but I will just say this.....

If you decide to throw it away, could you please throw it my way. I'm happy to pay all postage/packing costs.

Seriously.

Andre Jute

Oils available for Rohloff to repackage change from year to year, and so do their additives. Unless the additives have gone off meanwhile, I don't see how oil can "go bad" in a few years. After all, it's been in the ground for millennia.

Is there a sediment that has gone so hard it refuses to dissolve when shaken? Is there a smell like bad eggs? I'm sure you would have told us if there were.

Tiberius

I don't see how oil can "go bad" in a few years. After all, it's been in the ground for millennia.

Rightly or wrongly, that is exactly how I see it.

energyman

Oils can become contaminated over time just by storing.  Microbes which can occur in the oil produce water as they munch the oil.
Doubt if it's going to be much of a problen in a Rohloff though but it is a problem in aircraft & ship lube oils.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 03:48:13 pm by energyman »