Author Topic: Theft prevention  (Read 27694 times)

ourclarioncall

Re: Theft prevention
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2021, 04:53:12 pm »
My bike bites back. See:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3930
and if you leave the thread before the end, the examples of my own snake biting me are in:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3930.msg21571#msg21571

Still in a humorous vein: one of my hobbies is UHT (ultra high tension) thermionic tube audiophile amps with up to 2000V on them, and electrostatic loudspeakers with 5500V on them; even my electrostatic headphones have 600V between my ears -- they sound particularly good on Gregorian chant: nearer my God to Thee! https://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/JUTE%20ON%20AMPS.htm
I build my own UHT amps and rebuild the QUAD electrostatics as required.

The ring of fear sounds interesting indeed . Along the same lines as the skunk lock. You know it would be effective but scared of the legalities!

Someone mentioned when camping to use fishing gut wrapped around trees to hedge you and and your belongings in, as a sort of fence . Cool idea. Or we could go electric fence instead 😄

I’m a newbie to electronics but been researching up guitar tube amps and how they work. Interesting stuff .

JohnR

« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2021, 10:26:47 pm »
I like the idea of the n-lock https://n-lock.com/ but need to find out the dimensions.

Andre Jute

« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2021, 12:09:24 pm »
I like the idea of the n-lock https://n-lock.com/ but need to find out the dimensions.

Discussions of the n'lock have a tendency, second only to the Hebie Chainglider, to divert even major general or other-directed discussions, so I've opened a new thread at
Third Incarnation of the n'lock -- clever bicycle security
or click on the URL
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14207.0
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 09:54:44 pm by Andre Jute »

KDean

« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2021, 07:22:23 pm »
I'm a locksmith / safe engineer ,my view is it's either with me or in the back of my van , If you need to lock it just check with your insurance company that you have a lock that is on their list , probably be a Sold Secure product , I use  a combination & chain all in one that is made to wear like a belt , never notice it's there , sorry I can't remember the make . 

mrtrellis

« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2021, 11:17:49 am »
I take risks on tour I wouldn’t do when home

At St Stephens in town there’s a bike rack where the front wheel slots into a kind of shroud, so only the rear of the bike needs to be made secure. I use an Abus granite x plus.

On standard bike bike rack I use a second d lock to secure the front wheel.

On tour I take a cable and Abus brass padlock. I wrap the cable through the wheel and frame and then put the padlock through the cable loop and then lock it to the front chain ring. I figure the cable is easy to cut but padlock more difficult and stops someone just riding the bike away
Another thing I do is to wind the disc adjuster tight on this may fool the would be thief or at least slow them down.
Some towns have secure supervised places to leave your bike (train stations).
It’s  worth checking bike shops to see if you can leave your bike with them.
One lent me a good lock to secure my bike outside their shop and another had secure space inside the shop for a small fee, when I returned they waived the fee.
Hope that made sense

JohnR

« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2021, 03:02:11 pm »
Last week I fitted one of these trackers https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Y1R58QD to my Mercury. It's somewhat less heavy than a SoldSecure Gold rated bike lock. ;D However, I wouldn't consider leaving the bike unattended without using some cheaper form of lock but if it does disappear then there's a better chance of finding it provided the battery hasn't run down. It needs a SIM card with some credit and finding the location means sending a code via SMS and it will respond with both latitude and longitude and a link showing the location on Google maps. The downside of anything that's based on a mobile phone is that it needs a phone signal for communication so if the bike is immediately put in a container that blocks the signal then the tracker will struggle.

mickeg

« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2021, 06:02:58 pm »
Last week I fitted one of these trackers https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Y1R58QD to my Mercury. ...

In a few months, please let us know what you think of that tracker.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2021, 01:25:39 pm »
Last week I fitted one of these trackers https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Y1R58QD to my Mercury. It's somewhat less heavy than a SoldSecure Gold rated bike lock. ;D However, I wouldn't consider leaving the bike unattended without using some cheaper form of lock but if it does disappear then there's a better chance of finding it provided the battery hasn't run down. It needs a SIM card with some credit and finding the location means sending a code via SMS and it will respond with both latitude and longitude and a link showing the location on Google maps. The downside of anything that's based on a mobile phone is that it needs a phone signal for communication so if the bike is immediately put in a container that blocks the signal then the tracker will struggle.

It would be fun to do some real life testing with a cheap bike and a tracker to see where it ends up haha 😆

Brush2805

« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2021, 10:19:42 pm »
I commute on mine so don't have to carry the locks. I lock it with 4 locks.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2021, 12:58:15 am »
I commute on mine so don't have to carry the locks. I lock it with 4 locks.

I’m guessing you leave the locks at the place you commute to ?

Rouleur834

« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2021, 10:17:28 am »
My bike is registered with, https://www.bikeregister.com. It won't stop a theft but might act as a deterrent. Also, you might get it back......

As for a lock, I use LiteLok Gold. Pretty substantial but I have seen videos of them being cut quite easily. However, how many people, other than determined criminals carry wire cutters in their back pocket?

mickeg

« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2021, 12:26:54 pm »
My bike is registered with, https://www.bikeregister.com. It won't stop a theft but might act as a deterrent. Also, you might get it back......

My local community used to require bike licensing, license lasted three years and helped generate fee revenue.  Vast majority of people did not register their bikes but I always registered each bike once, but I did not renew them.  If it was stolen and police recovered it, the number on the sticker correlated to my contact info in the database run by the city.  Decades ago my dad got his bike back that way after it was stolen.

I got an e-mail last month, pasted the text from some of it below:

This letter is to inform you that on January 5, 2021, the Madison Common Council voted to repeal the City of Madison's mandatory bicycle registration requirement. As of that date, Madison residents are no longer required to register their bicycle(s) with the City. Effective immediately, the City will no longer be accepting new bicycle registrations or renewals. The existing bicycle registration database will be active until the last current registrations expire on May 15, 2024. After that, the database will still be available for searching any previous registrations for the foreseeable future.

The City still believes that there is value in registering bicycles, but our registration program was very limited in its reach. Registering your bicycle with a national bicycle registration database greatly increases the chances of recovering your bicycle if it goes missing. There are two national Bicycle Registration programs, Bike Index and Project 529. Registering your bicycle with either of these programs will store your bicycle's important information into a nationally accessible database. Registering your bicycle with either program is free. If you would like to have a registration decal for your bicycle, you may purchase one from either program after you register with them.

Even though either program will protect your bike, the City of Madison has decided to partner with Bike Index at this time.

Based on that, I recently registered all my bikes with Bike Index.  And I will put a sticker on each bike that lists the bike as registered with Bike Index, I should get the stickers in the mail any day now.

That said, there might be some regional bias where some registration systems are preferred over others in certain regions, so maybe Bike Index won't be the go to solution in the UK?

A guy I know a few years ago said that his daughter's bike was stolen, but when she found it for sale later on-line, the police would not help her get her bike back because she had no proof of ownership.  A registration program is not proof of ownership, but it could still help with the police in a situation like that.

JohnR

« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2021, 01:58:15 pm »
That said, there might be some regional bias where some registration systems are preferred over others in certain regions, so maybe Bike Index won't be the go to solution in the UK?

A guy I know a few years ago said that his daughter's bike was stolen, but when she found it for sale later on-line, the police would not help her get her bike back because she had no proof of ownership.  A registration program is not proof of ownership, but it could still help with the police in a situation like that.
Bikeregister is, I think, UK focussed. There's a facility to transfer ownership should the bike be sold but the transfer is done by the registered owner so it's harder for someone else to claim ownership. I've used the bikeregister marking kit (etched into the paint on the crossbar) as a further disincentive for the thieves. Thorn also keep details of the bikes they have sold and the hub is registered with Rohloff.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2021, 04:19:44 pm »
Theft prevention usually linked to parked bike location.
No problems here on a Scottish loch.

Just saying.....

Best

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

in4

« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2021, 07:01:41 pm »
Lovely photo Matt. Looks like a great time in progress.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 08:01:08 am by in4 »