Author Topic: Theft prevention  (Read 27707 times)

ourclarioncall

Theft prevention
« on: January 07, 2021, 05:16:09 pm »
Thought I’d open up this topic as I have been inspired again by a few comments of theft/tamper protection

Ever had a bike stolen or tampered with while touring ? Or just local?

What is your current method of protecting your bike?

Have you changes your methods from previous ones?

Is there any methods you haven’t already tried but would like to ?

WorldTourer

Re: Theft prevention
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 06:27:46 pm »
My theft-prevention philosophy is that I never leave the bike out of my sight on tour, unless I can safely stash it at a hotel or WarmShowers host first. For example, I do not go into any supermarket. Instead, I only shop from small shops where I can see the bike through the window. When I stop at a restaurant, I either eat outside, or I choose a table inside by the window and put my bike right outside there.

Since I don't leave the bike out of sight, I don't need a serious (= heavy) lock. The cheapest cable lock is enough to deter someone from just grabbing the bike and running.

Personally, I haven't even felt that this approach is a major inconvenience. It comes pretty naturally. But if you are touring with a partner, then of course it is good that your partner can watch your bike while you go inside a large supermarket.

Oggi

• D-JAC Limited
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 06:59:15 pm »
I have a light/alarm combo. The light is excellent and the alarm works well. I also use a lightweight cable lock. Between them they give me piece of mind but I also don’t stray too far from my bike. The alarm was a present and it’s well made and when you call the helpline you actually speak to the designer. Bit like when I called SJS with a question and got “Robin speaking how can I help you”.

BOUH ALARM

The SR600 is a new anti-theft alarm system and powerful 600 lumen front light. Our patented EasyPull technology allows you to activate the alarm simply by pulling the torch out of the base – a simple solution that makes safeguarding your bicycle easy and stress free.

https://bouh.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsJ3u1r6K7gIVCZntCh2TqAMXEAAYASAAEgJq3PD_BwE

Doug

UKTony

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 08:47:44 pm »
For solo or group day rides with café and/or pub lunch stops, I carry either,

A Kryptonite (there are other makes) 5mm dia woven wire plastic coated cable about 75cm long coupled with an ordinary good quality padlock. Total weight 270g. More heavy duty than the so called Café locks.

Or,
as above but heavier duty (10mm dia x120cm long) if going places where I think the risk might be greater. Total weight 600g.

In any event, on group rides I usually try to stack  my bike behind someone else’s and tie it in with their lock as well.

I always take a spare key.
A combination lock is something to think about as there’s no key to lose.

Like others,when out solo I try to keep bike in view or only out of sight for a short time.

When I first bought the bike I did buy a huge D lock but have never used it mainly because it weighs 1.715kg (nearly two packets of Tate and Lyle).

I also work on the basis that a thief might, just might, think he/she stands a better chance of getting away with a bike of a less conspicuous colour than Tonka Yellow 😳

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 09:29:57 pm »
As i mentioned in another thread, I've put a ring lock for the back wheel both immobilises the bike and stops the wheel with the Rohloff hub from going astray. Its position on the bike also makes it awkward to break without damaging the bike. A cable can be plugged into the lock to secure the bike to something more solid.

I had also bought a D lock but, as already noted, it's a heavy brute and best left fixed on a cycle rack at some daily destination. It's difficult to find a "gold" rated lock which the insurers want but doesn't weigh a couple of kg.

John Saxby

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 09:42:32 pm »
My general approach is the same as WorldTourer, above.

Occasionally, I'll bring my bike into a supermarket and arrange to leave it near the cash registers.  (Travelling in Sweden a few years ago, I asked one of the cashiers, and they said, "Just take it around the store with you."  I thought, "I could live here.")

I also have a TiGr Lock Mini+, about 400g, and take that along if I think my usual drill will need some backup..

ourclarioncall

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 10:01:39 pm »
The “Attila the hun” method is the ultimate in protection

Never get off your horse 😁 and it’s free and weighs nothing

ourclarioncall

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 10:05:05 pm »
What’s the two biggest weapons used in theft ?

Bolt cutters and Angle grinders?

So what products cannot be defeated by bolt cutters , but CAN be defeated by angle grinder ?

And what products are undefeatable by both ?

UKTony

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 09:02:29 am »
Life is a risk and all you can do is try and minimise the risk as far as is reasonable.
 I can think of more subtle tools to snip out a Rohloff hub.
If you google strongest bike lock, the Krytonite New York D lock comes up. Trouble is the D ring on this is quite small and likely won’t go round frame/back wheel AND immovable  object. So you’re going to need two or combine it with a less resistant cable.
Regarding JohnR’s point above about Gold secure rated locks  and bike insurance, I believe, but you’d have to check, that the TSB bike insurance discussed recently in this forum, does not stipulate any particular standard of lock.

PH

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 10:05:10 am »
Regarding JohnR’s point above about Gold secure rated locks  and bike insurance, I believe, but you’d have to check, that the TSB bike insurance discussed recently in this forum, does not stipulate any particular standard of lock.
This is correct, I did try and get some confirmation, but the closest was that it should be appropriate.  I use a Kryptonite New York Std Sold Secure Gold lock and a Sold Secure Silver chain.  On an urban ride I'll just take the D lock if I know where I'm parking, the chain as well if I don't.  I take just the chain for day rides and touring, where I may leave the bike while I pop into a shop or at the campsite, but wouldn't leave it and go off for an hour.  I hope to never put it to the test, but I believe that would classify as appropriate.  My Gold rated lock weighs 2kg and there are Gold options a bit lighter, but not all offer the same protection, I also have an older Squire Gold D lock that weight a fraction over 1kg, but only have one key left so don't use it often. My Silver rated chain doesn't weigh a lot less 1.6 kg, but it does offer more options, both locking and carrying, due to the size.
Nothing is secure of course, the test for a Gold rating is only a few minutes, even heavy motorcycle locks that you wouldn't want to carry on a bike will only double it.  My D lock is claimed to resist any hand tools and is double locked so would need two cuts with an angle grinder.  I've had one bike stolen and one vandalised to death, both were cheaper bikes, that's not a big enough sample to draw any conclusions.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 06:37:03 pm »

ourclarioncall

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 06:43:01 pm »

ourclarioncall

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 06:54:48 pm »

ourclarioncall

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 07:20:07 pm »
One more

Think the last vid the kid was using bolt cutters not cable cutters

This guy uses the same tool as lock picking lawyer

https://youtu.be/YKO1yudGVNg

Still looks like quite a good product?

PH

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2021, 08:02:05 pm »
Anyone heard of this British made lock ?
I know a couple of people who got them cheap early on, I think they were crowd funded. 
I was tempted, but then considered if I wanted a lock that looked easier to break than it was.  Security is more than lock strength, deterrent is a large factor.  It isn't hard to write a bike frame off in a bodged theft attempt and the last thing you want is a lock that invites the casual thief to have a go.  Maybe I'll be tempted some time in the future when every thief knows how tough they are, until then I'll carry something that's twice the weight and looks three times harder to break, even if it only has the same strength.