Technical > General Technical

Theft prevention

<< < (26/27) > >>

JohnR:
Sorry to hear about your adventure and I suspect I would have reacted similarly. If the physical involvement results in the police actually showing interest rather than filing the report under "no action" then it could be worth the grazed knee although there's the risk that if the cupprit is identifed and charged then the magistrate will do no more than a slapped wrist.

Thanks also for the alert about one of the theft strategies. My first line of defence is deterrence. My Mercury got the Bike Register marking kit which etches a number into the paint as well as having a label but they seem to be out of stock so the new bike got the membership kit which is only a couple of sticky labels one of which is very prominently on the top tube (see photo) while the other is less prominently at the top front of the downtube. My hope is that a potential thief who is looking for a quick sell wouldn't want the hassle of removing the sticker. The next line of defence is a good layer of dirt followed by a lightweight cable lock such as https://www.wiggle.co.uk/kryptonite-combination-cable-bike-lock which should be stop a potential thief from grabbing the bike when the rider is close by.

Tiberius:
PH - A dreadful tale, that experience would shake up anybody.

If nothing else it's made me (us?) think a bit, just how brazen and opportunist thieves can be.

Very best wishes for a complete recovery.

And so to......Can anyone recommend a ring lock (nurse lock) for frames without mounting points?

Thank you.

Danneaux:
So very sorry this happened to you, PH! It is very like the snatch-and-go thefts that occur in my locale.  It is one of the main reasons I use a frame-mounted ring lock (nurse's lock) whenever I am at rest near the bike.

Trelock make a model specifically for balloon tires. It still shows a lot of clearance when used with my 2.0in Duremes and appears it could work with wider.

All good wishes, sure glad it wasn't worse. Any thief this bold seems likely to escalate their efforts.

Best,

Dan.

mickeg:
I was in my mid teens when I was not concerned about someone stealing my bike as it was only 20 feet (~7 m) away.  But the guy jumped on it and was gone, I could not run fast enough to catch him, I had left it in the perfect gear to accelerate.

I had saved a lot to buy that bike.  I am guessing that it was over a hundred hours of wages to buy it.  But that was over half a century ago so I do not recall those details much.

KDean:
I'm a Locksmith & safe Engineer by trade  & my view is to just make sure It's covered by  my Insurance ,  Sold Secure rated stuff is the hardest rating to get as It's owned by the Master locksmith Association , from Memory to achieve Bronze award it has to last 3 minutes  regardless of the form of attack including picking , Freezing , Cutting etc , The 3 minutes is normally achieved by picking . For me my bike is either next to me or in the back of the van . I use a make called Hiplock & the combination version As it's flexible & adaptable . On some makes some keys are restricted making them quite expensive & some cheap locks don't make a key blank to get spare keys .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version