Author Topic: Axles  (Read 2178 times)

ourclarioncall

Axles
« on: January 06, 2021, 01:48:12 am »
Wondering about different options when it comes to axles

As far as I understand there are two main types ? Quick release and thru axle

My only experience is with mountain bikes and quick release with the skewers ? Little arm thing you bend in towards the wheel to tighten it up

On thorn rohloff bikes is quick release or thru axle standard ? I see there is a disc fork they make that comes with a boost thru axle ?

And why don’t some axles have those skewer things? Is that to stop your wheels /rohloff Getting stolen ?

I think if I got a disc fork with the boost thru axle it would big me that the rear wheel only had quick release lol . I’d want them to be the same .

PH

Re: Axles
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 09:13:24 am »
Wondering about different options when it comes to axles

As far as I understand there are two main types ? Quick release and thru axle

My only experience is with mountain bikes and quick release with the skewers ? Little arm thing you bend in towards the wheel to tighten it up

On thorn rohloff bikes is quick release or thru axle standard ? I see there is a disc fork they make that comes with a boost thru axle ?

And why don’t some axles have those skewer things? Is that to stop your wheels /rohloff Getting stolen ?

I think if I got a disc fork with the boost thru axle it would big me that the rear wheel only had quick release lol . I’d want them to be the same .
There's a potential issue with disc brakes and QR dropouts, that thru axels avoid. Where under certain circumstances the movement of the wheel under braking can unwind the QR to the extent that it isn't secure, which can result in the wheel ejecting under braking.  This doesn't happen with rim brakes as the forces are different.  It also doesn't happen with forward facing dropouts.  In theory thru axels also position the wheel more consistently. On the rear wheel it's less of an issue, partly because the braking forces are so much less and also the rear triangle can't flex the same as the forks.
I have discs with QR axels, I'm aware of the potential issues and take the simple step of periodically checking them, usually they're fine but occasionally they need a quarter turn.  Wheel anti-theft security is a different matter and options to lock your wheels to the frame/forks are available for either system.

Aleman

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 11:58:00 am »
Actually there are a third type ... Nutted. These are simply solid axles with a 10mm thread on each end, that are held in place in the dropout with nuts.

Most of my bikes have been QR (Road / MTB) or Nutted (Touring - Including my Dawes Tandem), even my 29er "Mountain" bike, which was my first disc braked bike, has QR's

QR's are great on Road "racing" bikes for the ability to swap a wheel at speed in a race ... other than that I can't see a benefit, well apart from not having to carry a spanner to loosen your nuts  :o :o

Rohloff offer all three options on thier hubs, so you can choose the hub that best suits your purpose. Having said that on the Raven Twin I have a QR hub even though the Nutted hub is the suggested option from Rohloff ... I just took Robins advice when speccing the tandem. I was already pushing my luck asking for the disc brake version over the non disc which was in the listed spec. :D

ourclarioncall

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 08:33:03 pm »
Thanks for the replies

Do you get locking quick release ?

Or quick release without those handle things? So folk can’t quickly steal your wheels /rohloff

PH

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 08:44:41 pm »
Do you get locking quick release ?
You get skewers that fit in axles intended for quick release, but they're no longer quick release...
Pitlocks are probably the most secure
https://www.pitlock.de/en/

I use something cheaper, intended to deter the casual thief, I'm not sure there's anything to stop the more determined type.
https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/oxford-lockable-2-piece-skewer-set?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIytHFkJaI7gIVCtTtCh0N2Qp2EAQYAiABEgIElvD_BwE

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 10:38:24 pm »
I've fitted a ring lock for the back wheel. The key lives in the lock when it's open so it's always available for use and, when locked, it both immobilises the bike and prevents the wheel with the Rohloff hob from walking away. There's also an optional cable to fit in the lock and tether the bike to something more solid. I haven't given thought to securing the boost axle on the front wheel but a little rubber bung in the hex wrench socket would probably slow people down while an extra cable would add more security. At the moment the bike is sufficiently mucky that thieves would look elsewhere. :)

j-ms

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 06:59:01 am »
I use something cheaper, intended to deter the casual thief, I'm not sure there's anything to stop the more determined type.
https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/oxford-lockable-2-piece-skewer-set?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIytHFkJaI7gIVCtTtCh0N2Qp2EAQYAiABEgIElvD_BwE
Seems like a cost effective solution.  Is this on a bike mit Rohloff ? 

PH

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 08:23:48 am »
Seems like a cost effective solution.  Is this on a bike mit Rohloff ?
Yes, seven of my eight wheels are fitted with these, the eighth is a nutted axle  - Though whichever bike, when I park it I'll always try and get the lock through both the rear wheel and the frame.

martinf

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 08:54:01 am »
I prefer nutted axles and have these on most of my wheel. On wheels that have hollow axles I use an Allen-key skewer rather than a quick release. These make it slightly slower to remove the wheel, both for me and a possible thief.

My utility and heavy touring bikes have ring locks, very easy to use even for short stops. For longer stops I have a U-lock, plus a lightweight cable lock to slow down possible theft of pannier bags.