Author Topic: Thorn frame and forks.  (Read 3298 times)

Redswannie

Thorn frame and forks.
« on: January 05, 2021, 11:14:59 am »
Hi everyone.
I have just become the owner of a Thorn frame and forks which I believe is a Sherpa model.
The frame number is 800752PR and the forks are stamped 800753PR.
Its matt black in finish and has tapered top, seat and down tubes as well as a welded on Thorn head badge.
Can anyone give me some additional info on what it might be?
Kind regards, Dave.

leftpoole

Re: Thorn frame and forks.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 02:37:16 pm »
Hello,
Does it have a sticker declaration with type of tubing used? For example 531 or such?
You mention a welded on Head-badge?
Best regards
John

Redswannie

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 08:17:17 pm »
Hi John.
Sadly it's got no frame transfer, although I'm guessing it's of a good quality of tubing as the 3 main tubes are tapered.
Yes the headbadge looks like its welded to the head tube, Thorn running vertically with a ring of thorns around it.

brummie

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 09:04:53 pm »
As far as I can remember the Sherpas all had a stick on decal for the head tube badge ( it was the budget version of the original derailleur geared Nomad after all )  - Maybe you have a Nomad frame? Post some pics for Identification?

Redswannie

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 09:26:21 pm »
Hi Brummie.
Yes will post some pictures tomorrow.
Do you know if any of the older thorn frames ever used tapered seat, top and down tubes?
Regards Dave.

brummie

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 09:31:07 pm »
Tapered ( Conical ) Reynolds tubing was used on most the UK made frames with the possible exception of the Commutour model as far as I can remember. The frame serial number under the BB will help ID your frame too.

Redswannie

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 09:35:14 pm »
The frame number is 800752PR and the forks are stamped 800753PR.
I've asked SJS cycles and they suggested going on here to get more information.

Redswannie

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 09:02:25 am »
Headbadge image.

Redswannie

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 09:18:38 am »
Frame.

PH

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 10:41:12 am »
The lugged frame dates it, I think all the Taiwanese made models have been welded, so probably not a Sherpa.
It's a shame the headtube badge has been painted over, if you decide to clean it up I think it's stainless steel and will polish up nicely.
In that repainted state, it'll be hard to identify, might be easier from the geometry, the old brochures are in a thread here, maybe measure it up and see what it matches, measurements, lugged and threadless headset, ought to narrow it down.  I'd have a guess at an original Nomad, but a guess is all it is.

leftpoole

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 10:53:49 am »
Hi John.
Sadly it's got no frame transfer, although I'm guessing it's of a good quality of tubing as the 3 main tubes are tapered.
Yes the headbadge looks like its welded to the head tube, Thorn running vertically with a ring of thorns around it.

It is I believe, an early Club Tour .
Whatever you decide to do with it, a good frame resprayer would make the frame look great.
All lugged frames as far as I recollect are from prior to Nomad build when 'in house' building started and used fillet braze.
John

Redswannie

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 11:20:47 am »
Thanks for the information guys.
I also have a pair of low riders for the front forks and a rear carrier with a mudguard fitted to it.
It measures that it takes 26" mountain bike wheels if that's any help.
If I decide to sell it on would anyone be interested in it?
I'm based in Bucks and when covid allows will be up in Gloucester to visit family.

leftpoole

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 05:04:19 pm »
I’m sending you a message direct.

brummie

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2021, 08:42:17 pm »
It looks like an XTC classic frame to me. Same as mine, which can be found on the members gallery.
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13704.0
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 08:44:09 pm by brummie »

PH

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 08:48:08 pm »
It looks like an XTC classic frame to me. Same as mine, which can be found on the members gallery.
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13704.0
You're right it does and the colour of yours makes me smile.  Hope you've had some pleasant miles on it, must draw some comments.
Would I be right in thinking the XTC's would have had shorter chainstays than the more touring orientated models? Maybe that might confirm it.