Author Topic: How do you tighten up a belt ?  (Read 1084 times)

steve216c

Re: How do you tighten up a belt ?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2021, 01:57:04 PM »
Wow- that was tempting fate. The rear integrated mud flap on the mudguards I mentioned on previous post was noticed missing when I arrived at work end of last week and I took of my jacket to see it was splattered with mud! The mud guards are a good 10 years old and still fine- just missing the flap at the end  :'(
The part of mud flap held by the bolt was still in place which was useful for my Heath Robinson fix that followed:

Lucky for me is we just finished a bottle of mint/caffeine shampoo and the recycling doesn't collect till Wednesday. I now have a fetching green/grey flap from the famous bike accessory firm 'Schwarzkopf'.   Slicing bottle longways with a breadknife, trimming edges to fit to the mudguard, removing the labels first and adding some reflective tape  for added safety then finally mounting to the bike took less than half an hour from start to finish. And as bottle was sliced longways- I have a matching spare if needed  ;D

Smelling minty-fresh while protecting from dandruff from above and mud splatters from below, I can thoroughly recommend it as a quick and easy fix.
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2021, 08:27:27 PM »
You know we want photos, Steve...  ;)

Best,

Dan.

steve216c

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2021, 05:46:21 PM »
You know we want photos, Steve...  ;)

Best,

Dan.

first time trying to post photos- so hopefully this works... so you take your shampoo bottle, slice it longways and trim to allow tyre to turn freely but to keep a bit of rigidity at lowest point. The top end fitted behind rear reflector using same bolt that held the original rubber mud flap.

The 'spare' half of shampoo bottle showing before and after.

I'll need to get some better reflective tape as that particular one is not very sticky and you can see it lifting although I can assure you the surface was clean and dry when I initially stuck it on. Same tape holds better on my Hebei Chainglider- so perhaps it is choosy about the type of plastic?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 06:11:02 PM by steve216c »

PH

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2021, 09:20:13 PM »
That looks neat and whatever works for you, but I've never gone for anything as rigid.   I thought the idea of a mudflap was that it flapped, rather than just act as an extension of the guard.  Maybe that's why you lost the last one? 

steve216c

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2021, 10:04:45 PM »
The last one was rubber. This was the fix after it was no more.