Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Are winter tyres/spikes worth it for riding on frosty days

<< < (6/8) > >>

PH:
Well, we're into March and the sun is shining  8)
Is it safe to remove the spikeys yet?  In the UK, I'm guessing so, I'll probably do so this weekend and take the folder for a spin. 
I've used the spikes for a grand total of 11 miles.  In practical terms, quite clearly not worth it, but the reassurance of knowing there was a spiked up bike ready to go whenever needed was worthwhile and who knows, the usage may have been considerably different.  Unless I have a use for the folder that prevents it, I'll be fitting them again next Winter, at the current rate of wear they ought to last till 3380  ???

martinf:
I've taken my Hakkapeliitta tyres off. No very cold weather is forecast for the next couple of weeks, and is very unlikely here after that.

Mine have done about 900 kms in all, about 90 kms this winter, so less than 100 kms a year on average.

Are they worth it?

I reckon yes when I was working, probably not in retirement as I can generally postpone journeys if conditions are bad.

But as I already have them, it is nice to have the option of reasonably safe travel even with ice/snow about.

steve216c:
Before the week is out I'm going to hit 1600km/1000 miles on these spikes I mounted last week of 2020. Apart from a couple of weeks where cycling was too treacherous even with spikes, I've managed to commute right through most of the winter where regular tyres would have probably let me down or at very least taken the fun out the rides.

In Berlin, we tend to be 2 to 3 weeks behind on spring weather and have had frost most mornings including today. We even had a light snow covering on Friday last. Looking at the longer range forecast, I will probably want to keep the spikes on for at least the next 14 days to avoid slipping on icy patches on my morning commute. But I am also really looking forward to returning to my regular Marathon Plus and the reduced rolling resistance and noise over the spikes.

My rolling summary report on these Schwalbe Winter tyres (the cheapest spike option I found) is this:

1) If you plan to ride through the winter in FROSTY or ICY conditions, spikes are a great recommendation. There is a limit to their effectiveness in snow- but a noticeable safety benefit for those who want to ride rather than leave bike in the shed during the winter and not to feel caught out if the weather changes unexpectedly

2) I've manage to maintain/increase fitness levels on my daily commute as I've pulled my average speed up to almost what it was prior to fitting spikes- despite the increased drag and road noise. With regular tyres I would not have been able to ride safely much of the last 3 months and would not have got the exercise otherwise.

3) I can recommend anyone buying spiked tyres to purchase some spare studs and fitting tool (cost approx EUR 9 /GBP 7.50 for Schwalbe tool and 50 tungsten replacements). I've lost 3 studs in the last 3 months, and refitting any lost studs is a 2 minute job- where the first minute involves unlocking the shed to get the tool out and less than 60 seconds needed to refit

4) You get used to the noise of spikes. The fizzing/fat frying audible accompaniment generated when riding on spikes was disturbing at first. But now I hardly notice it. It is comparable to the difference in noise for those who have ridden MTB tyres and switch to e.g. Big Apples. You'll be so used to the noise that you only notice how quiet everything is when you are NOT riding on the former and notice how the latter are 'silent' in comparison. In fact, when I ride together side by side with my son, his MTB tyre droning drowns out my spike noise.

5) Although my experience has been positive- I really am looking forward to the lower resistance of my regular tyres I hope to refit in the coming 2 or 3 weeks once conditions look stable enough. But I will definitely store these winter tyres safely so I can remount and ride safely in future winters.

6) Do your homework if you plan to buy such tyres. I had a puncture just short time after fitting the brand new tyres. The puncture guard level can be different even on otherwise similar looking tyres. Schwalbe Winter and Schwalbe Marathon Winter look almost identical except for number of spikes- but the puncture protection in the latter is way better than the former- as I learnt the hard way.

I also considered fitting one of my 2 spare bikes with winter tyres instead of the Rohloff. However, an IGH has an advantage over derailleur in snow and ice which can clog and jump in snow/ice/mud. A Rohloff powered steed with its lower general maintenance levels and high reliability is perhaps a better winter bike than using one of my spare bikes for the winter conditions. I am glad I rode my best bike through the winter knowing those 14 gears would not let me down whatever the weather.

Now bring on the sunshine  ;D 8)

Clive.:
I enjoyed seeing your photos Steve - I lived just off Heerstrasse by Olympia Stadion as a child (army brat) in about 1970, and remember sledging in the Grunewald. The Heerstrasse, with (variable) contraflow, made an impression on me - I can see a gantry with a green tick/red cross for each lane in your photo. I could never work out how they changed direction on the lanes, but now recognise that each lane must have closed for a while before opening in the reverse direction!

steve216c:
It has been too mild for too long  :o but I keep an eye on the weather forecast ready to mount my winter spikes for the inevitable frosty mornings common at this time of year.
As I mentioned in this thread and from my experiences last winter, adding spikes allowed me to ride relatively safely in conditions no sane cyclist without spikes ought to attempt.

Riding spikes increases rolling friction though. For me that adds an estimated 3-5 minutes to my daily commute. A small cost compared to the alternative of public transport or clogging up the road with my car- both of which take about same time door to door.

I have a pair of spiked Schwalbe Winter tyres, but I am wondering how much of a compromise it would be if I just fitted the front wheel with spikes to cut the overall spike friction by a fraction, but to ensure increase road holding when steering on frozen or muddy bike paths when the conditions are variable (e.g. frosty start, but mild later).
I'm going from the assumption that the front wheel is more critical on keeping me upright than the role the back wheel takes. Of course if a hard winter sets in, I would mount both tyres with spikes.

Anyone with experience or thoughts of riding just on one spiked tyre?

cheers
Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version