Author Topic: Dyno snaps  (Read 3948 times)

ourclarioncall

Dyno snaps
« on: November 24, 2021, 12:43:17 pm »
Anyone use these ?

https://www.dyna-snap.com/

What kind of things would you / could you power from a hub dynamo ?

I see they show a picture of powering gps. Would anyone do that ?

I thought I read that powering things like phones from the hub didn’t work well . Or that usb socket thing

Think I read it’s better to charge up a battery pack from the hub then charge your phone from the battery pack

steve216c

Re: Dyno snaps
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 07:25:19 am »
Interesting alternative to spade connectors or old fashioned solder.

I can see the advantages for a folding bike situation with this magnet fittings. Not sure about if I would need on my non folding bikes though. Dynamos and lights are permanently attached with spade connectors on mine so would not need such a quick release for me. If I need to disconnect it would be a 15 second fiddle rather than 1 second as with this fittings, but so rarely need to do it, not worth the trouble.

As for attaching gadgets, that is another matter. Not sure your cable suggestions would alone would be enough. But a cheap USB adapter I tried was ok charging cheap phone, but iPhone wouldn’t charge from it. You need to look through the threads, but there are only a few decent USB adapter that will allow charging while riding reliably. And these were not cheap. If I were planning a tour of several days, worth the investment. But not for daily use where I can charge overnight at home.
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

Tiberius

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 08:46:40 am »
I like them and would definitely give them a try......BUT, not at 40 quid a set!!

PH

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 09:57:01 am »
I don't have a use for them, but I've seen them used by someone who swaps a very expensive light between bikes. so the price would be worth it to them.
I like the SON jack plug which have been around for a few years, but really in twenty years of using the spade connectors I never once had cause for complaint. 
https://nabendynamo.de/en/products/wiring/son-coaxial-connector-system/

PH

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 10:06:08 am »
I thought I read that powering things like phones from the hub didn’t work well . Or that usb socket thing
Think I read it’s better to charge up a battery pack from the hub then charge your phone from the battery pack
I have a USB dynamo charger I carry on tour for use as a last resort, I'll unplug the light and attach that in it's place, with a couple of re-usable zip ties to keep the wires out of the wheel. Other than to check it works, I've never needed it!  Fast charger and a couple of power packs serves me for a couple of days without recharging, so topping up as and when possible, even for half an hour, has always been more than enough to never be close to running out.  It'd only really come into it's own if I was doing a long remote tour, or had a particularly high power usage, neither of which is likely.  Still, it's nice to have for the reassurance.

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 04:32:29 pm »
While those connectors claim to be weatherproof, I would be worried about dirt getting into the female part of anything near a hub while disconnected and then blocking a good connection.

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 12:27:28 am »
I use them on my tourer, and am satisfied. They do not come undone when you don't want them to.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 07:36:58 pm »
Sooo

With a front wheel dynamo hub and front and back light

If you take off your front wheel for whatever reason , such as getting a puncture putting on a new tube /tyre ….. you will have to disconnect a couple wires ?

But back wheel is okay … nothing to disconnect?

ourclarioncall

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 07:42:59 pm »
I use them on my tourer, and am satisfied. They do not come undone when you don't want them to.

Satisfied …. That’s a word I was actually thinking about recently . As in the definition and the things that bring it

I like the look of them. It’s the type of thing that give me pleasure . I have a “no fuss” thing built into my personality so snapping off a magnet versus the few extra seconds with spade connectors appeals to me 😁

P.s , I’m a Scotsman but my wife is from Austin Texas 👍 her brother just recently built a house in Leeander

ourclarioncall

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 07:50:44 pm »
I don't have a use for them, but I've seen them used by someone who swaps a very expensive light between bikes. so the price would be worth it to them.
I like the SON jack plug which have been around for a few years, but really in twenty years of using the spade connectors I never once had cause for complaint. 
https://nabendynamo.de/en/products/wiring/son-coaxial-connector-system/

Yeah, they look like a nice soloution

ourclarioncall

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 07:57:01 pm »
Interesting alternative to spade connectors or old fashioned solder.

If I were planning a tour of several days, worth the investment. But not for daily use where I can charge overnight at home.

Yeah, my impulse is to get all the upgrades /gadgets I can when a buy a nomad …. But will I really use it (usb charger ) 🤔

If you were on tour for multiple days could you not just charge up a big battery pack thingy or two(never used one) at home and take it with you to charge your phone etc ? I don’t know how long these things last or how much the provide for charging gadgets

ourclarioncall

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 08:01:46 pm »
I like them and would definitely give them a try......BUT, not at 40 quid a set!!

As I’ve said previously… I’m a poor man with expensive tastes . Bad combo 😊

Although the tide has turned and I’m in a multiplied times better financial position where for once in my life and can buy what I like without agonising too much over cost etc

ourclarioncall

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2021, 08:06:30 pm »
While those connectors claim to be weatherproof, I would be worried about dirt getting into the female part of anything near a hub while disconnected and then blocking a good connection.

Good point , I could quite easily see a dollop of wet mud getting in there, especially in a wild Scottish winter. My garden is a mud slide with constant rain etc, plus all the power and broadband outages we’ve had up here from the recent red alert storm

PH

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 11:08:08 pm »
Having looked again I see they're only a single connection, that looks quite bulky unless you use the frame as a return.  I'm not to keen on the latter, it might be my experience of cheap systems that were set up that way, but it didn't take much to break that connection.

Tiberius

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2021, 10:09:39 am »
Sooo

With a front wheel dynamo hub and front and back light

If you take off your front wheel for whatever reason , such as getting a puncture putting on a new tube /tyre ….. you will have to disconnect a couple wires ?

But back wheel is okay … nothing to disconnect?

Correct.