Author Topic: Who is the fairest of them all ?  (Read 1392 times)

ourclarioncall

Who is the fairest of them all ?
« on: November 28, 2020, 12:53:38 pm »
It’s interesting just how much aesthetics and beauty shape our choices

What would you say is the nicest looking thorn bike ?

For me I love the look of the black nomad 2. I love the white font. I love the big 620 or 610 frames. I love the long uncut steerer with all the spacers. I love all the extra bars on the steerer people add on for bags and gadgets. I think the 26” wheels look the best on the large frame and to me it looks nicely balanced. I could go on 😊

PH

Re: Who is the fairest of them all ?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 07:59:34 pm »
I had a Raven Tour, 2003, it was bought for a purpose and certainly did the job, but I never had much love for it, though was soon thoroughly convinced by the Rohloff (I now have three  :o)
Some part of that was probably the aesthetics, 26" wheels on large bikes (I'm 6'2") always look out of proportion to me.
To me the nicest looking bike in the range is the Mercury, particularly with the sleek  853 forks, I like my bikes functional but minimal, though some posts on here show that's not a universal theme.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 02:34:10 am »
For me I love the look of the black nomad 2. I love the white font.
When I was perusing brochures, I too was sure the lettering was white. However, the lettering on both my 2011 Sherpa Mk2 and 2012 Nomad Mk2 proved to be matte silver in color.

While I prefer my matte black bikes to be "murdered out" ( https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=murdered%20out ) and equipped with all-black components, the silver lettering opens the door for some nice mixing of silver components for contrast.

Pics of my bikes here:
Danneaux's Nomad gallery: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4523.0
Danneaux's Sherpa gallery: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3896.0

While I now think my Nomad Mk2 is as beautiful as any of the 15 bikes in my stable, it took me awhile to adjust to the sloping top tube and large-diameter frame tubing coupled with 26in wheels and TiG-welded construction because it was such a contrast to my randonneur/touring bikes with horizontal top tubes, "traditional" road bike tube diameters, handcut lugs and 700C wheels. I like the aesthetics now but what really has always made the Nomad beautiful for me is its functional aesthetic -- it perfectly meets my needs and preferences and there's many a time I've been grateful for that steeply sloping top tube when dismounting into a deep pothole on a rough logging road.

For a study in contrasts, see the photos pairing my Nomad Mk2 with one of my rando-tourers, attached below.

Best,

Dan.

PH

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 08:24:00 am »
I hope I don't get to regret it, but I've just been browsing the current brochures and although my opinion hasn't changed, the 650b Nomad in blue is also a very attractive bike IMO.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 08:41:37 am »
For me I love the look of the black nomad 2. I love the white font.
... it took me awhile to adjust to the sloping top tube and large-diameter frame tubing coupled with 26in wheels and TiG-welded construction

It's oversized aluminium and mountain bike frames becoming virtually generic in your run of the mill LBS what done it. People start associating "bicycle" with a chunky, purposeful bike, like a bulldog, whereas the previous instant assumption was whippy and lean but tall like a greyhound. Eventually even classicists too came to share at least part of the new assumption of form. Some of us were just insisted on steel, or returned to steel after the new format was well established and had worn-in a niche of acceptance like two metal components grinding together.

I'm not surprised that "ghost silver" photographs white. I like it even better in the outline version that makes it hard to see, especially in places that are, shall we say, inadequate policed. When I first saw a Thorn bike, I had been inspecting it for at least thirty seconds before I spotted it was a Thorn, because the maker's name was effectively semi-obscured by the dirt of a hard ride to the pub I saw it at.

I give the marketing phrase "ghost silver" to Robin Thorn free of charge.