Author Topic: Nomad Mk3 Tire Clearance without fenders  (Read 4887 times)

housecaz

Nomad Mk3 Tire Clearance without fenders
« on: November 18, 2020, 02:21:46 pm »
The 26/27.5/700 fork is clearly listed as 70mm without fenders (70b), however the frame itself is not so obvious.

Does anyone know if you can fit 70mm tires without fenders on the 61L Nomad Mk3 rear wheel with 27.5 rims?

Specifically, I want to use the G-One All-Round 70-584 (27.5 x 2.80)

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/g-one-allround
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 02:23:24 pm by housecaz »

housecaz

Re: Nomad Mk3 Tire Clearance without fenders
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 09:03:28 pm »
Looks like it does say and I just missed it, from each PDF:

Thorn Nomad Mk3       all 8 tubes are cold drawn, heat treated seamless Cr-Mo. Tyre clearance for 26 x 2.5", 650 x 2.35b or 700 x 40c with disc brakes.

PH

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 09:28:19 pm »
Looks like it does say and I just missed it, from each PDF:

Thorn Nomad Mk3       all 8 tubes are cold drawn, heat treated seamless Cr-Mo. Tyre clearance for 26 x 2.5", 650 x 2.35b or 700 x 40c with disc brakes.
Is that with or without guards?  Maybe a an email to Thorn would be the best way to get the definitive answer.
They could also confirm if that's the measurement or what it says on the tyre!
I know the rim width make a difference, but Schwalbe seem to pluck the numbers out of thin air.  There's 3mm difference between my 35mm and 40mm Supremes (34&37) My 50mm Almotions measure 46 and the 40mm version 36 (At least they're consistently wrong)
70mm sounds a huge tyre for a Nomad, be like riding a magic carpet, though I wonder what the downside is.

in4

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 06:36:16 am »
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 07:44:21 am by in4 »

PH

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 11:24:17 am »
https://youtu.be/CQlJDSjv9jg

Duuh! 20watt moment.
BTW in Spanish
That's not you is it?
I'm puzzled by their choice of fork, Thorn offer them in all flavours, yet they've chosen something else (Surly?) which by the look of it is going to have a considerable effect on the geometry.

brummie

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 08:08:29 pm »

Duuh! 20watt moment.
BTW in Spanish
That's not you is it?
I'm puzzled by their choice of fork, Thorn offer them in all flavours, yet they've chosen something else (Surly?) which by the look of it is going to have a considerable effect on the geometry.

I'm guessing the Surly fork is just a cheaper option for the chap to use his dynamo disc hub, without resorting to purchase a new bolt-thru boost dynamo hub.

PH

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 07:41:44 am »
[I'm puzzled by their choice of fork, Thorn offer them in all flavours, yet they've chosen something else (Surly?) which by the look of it is going to have a considerable effect on the geometry.

I'm guessing the Surly fork is just a cheaper option for the chap to use his dynamo disc hub, without resorting to purchase a new bolt-thru boost dynamo hub.
That isn't something I'd considered, yes that could be the reason.
And of course it's not my bike, or my money, so it's comment rather than criticism.  Still my bike choices start with getting the frameset right, there's nothing else on the list until I'm happy with that.

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 11:12:22 pm »
For experimenters with different drivetrains and other other components, the Surly Karate Monkey frame and fork were absolutely spiked with braze-ons -- actually weld-ons -- to attach very possible layout and fit-out, including some pretty bizarre. You could have both rim and disc brakes on the same wheel. I didn't actually buy a Karate Monkey frame  -- it was on too short a wheelbase with too steep a geometry, very nervy, for my liking, and horrible aesthetics -- but there was no arguing with its utility.

PH

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 11:17:39 pm »
For experimenters with different drivetrains and other other components, the Surly Karate Monkey frame and fork were absolutely spiked with braze-ons --
Yes, I have an Ogre, I'm never going to be short of a spare screw, there's about twenty on them on the fork!  I like it.  I wasn't commenting on the fork, other than it seeming a different geometry than the frame was intended for.

biketouringaddict

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2021, 11:51:15 pm »

Duuh! 20watt moment.
BTW in Spanish
That's not you is it?

Hi, I am the video's author. The reason I choosed this surly fork was because I broke the previous frame and it was what I had. Nevertheless, it is 420mm from axle to crown and with an offset of 43mm. It fits quite well with the same specifications of the original nomad fork: 410mm / 48mm
Surly Troll fork specs: https://surlybikes.com/parts/troll_fork
Nomad fork specs: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/forks/48-offset-a-650b-26-inch-thorn-nomad-mk3-steel-fork-red-imron/?geoc=ES

And the main benefit of this fork is the amount of screws to mount front cages. The use of a 9mm qr front hub was also a must for me.

The frame's size is 55L and I am 175mm tall. I think it is the right length for me

PH

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 11:08:56 am »
Hi, I am the video's author.
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Are you liking the bike? Which is of course all that maters.
I had wrongly assumed the Surly forks were suspension corrected, and further away from the Thorn spec.  I still think the 6mm offset difference is not insignificant, just not as big a difference as I'd thought.  I'd notice that difference, I ride bikes with about that trail difference, they're fine, just different.

biketouringaddict

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2021, 11:37:21 am »
From Surly, there were different Troll forks, both suspension and non-suspension corrected. The version I bought is the non suspension corrected. This is important. The feelings I have riding the bike are very good. With the previous frame, i had some wobling problems with the handlebar with front load, but with this nomad frame, the ride is fantastic. Not wobling at all at high speeds and a lot of toe clearance with the rear panniers. I also think the bike looks cooler with this fork, but that is subjective. Maybe the original fork flexes more and have a nicer feeling, but reading the thorn brochure and realising the comments where they say that the version with disk brake mounts is not that soft, I think it should be similar

WorldTourer

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 12:38:38 pm »
With the previous frame, i had some wobling problems with the handlebar with front load, but with this nomad frame, the ride is fantastic. Not wobling at all at high speeds

Wobbling isn’t something to blame on the fork itself, it has to do with the stem length and where the weight is mounted on the front rack. Somewhere I believe Thorn had some official advice for how long your stem should be to prevent wobble. Obviously if you are using a fork with the triple mounts for Anything Cages, there will be less wobble because the weight is exactly at the fork’s blades. But even on a traditional Thorn touring fork, you can reduce wobble by moving the weight on the front rack closer to the blades.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 12:40:12 pm by WorldTourer »