Author Topic: Raven Twin Mk II  (Read 5599 times)

Aleman

Raven Twin Mk II
« on: November 25, 2020, 03:55:44 pm »
Well here it is, probably the last of the Size 5 Raven Twin MK II's, we got it in early August this year (2020) in "Kit Form" or as Robin put it "A frame and a box of bits" ;D This was one of the close out "Sale" of the Mark II frames to clear space for the Mark III models, and as such were offered as a complete bike with  a few additions above the standard at a considerable saving. As Robin didn't have the size 5 frame built into a bike, I was able to swap out components rather than just have the "standard spec", I also saved a little bit of money (in theory) by building it myself, but spent that on upgrading the Rohloff to the disc brake version

Now, don't give me grief about that dangling rear light wire it's just been placed to test out options for permanent placing, and to check I'd made the solder joints correctly :D Or the front wire twisted round the fork! It is not going to stay that way

Of course, with lockdown, we've not been able to get away for any extended riding and have only managed 320 miles in total on the "nice" Sundays since building it up  :'( It has performed faultlessly in those miles though, still tweaking bits and pieces ... Mainly stem height and my hand position.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Raven Twin Mk II
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 08:33:50 pm »
thanks for posting, that is a mighty pretty bicycle!

I can barely imagine riding a tandem - just to find somebody with a compatible riding style would be a miracle! I am slowly convincing my wife that a somewhat higher cadence will save her knees.

Do you plan to put on a front rack? That bike looks ready for some serious adventure!

PH

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 11:10:46 pm »
WOW :o
I have no reason to have any interest in tandems, but as Jim says that's a pretty machine. 
Did in come without decals, or have you removed them?  I like a plain frame, one of the reasons I went for the grey Mercury was because they're more subtle than the other colours.

leftpoole

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 09:46:41 am »
WOW :o
I have no reason to have any interest in tandems, but as Jim says that's a pretty machine. 
Did in come without decals, or have you removed them?  I like a plain frame, one of the reasons I went for the grey Mercury was because they're more subtle than the other colours.

I cannot see how, because they are under Lacquer , that decals can be removed? Must have come without?
Shame, because it is always good to see a manufacturers name on a frame in my opinion.
Regards,
John

PH

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 10:19:31 am »
I cannot see how, because they are under Lacquer...
I'm sure we've been over this before, the current brochure says they're now using high quality vinyl and they replaceable... which is partly why I asked.

Aleman

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 10:54:48 am »
I have the decals, just not fitted them. On the MK II the frame is Powder coated, so the decals have to be fitted after the frame is finished. On the MK III the frame is painted with a 2K basecoat, then the decals are applied, and then the 2K clear coat is applied. So on mine I can choose if I want to apply them or not ... I probably will now the build is complete and I'm not likely to whack them with a tool if it slips. I've only fitted the Reynolds 531 fork decals, and the Thorn 969 and Rohloff "Steel is Real" decals at the moment.

The spec did include a front rack, and I have it ready to fit, but decided to hold off until I got and fitted the Edelux II front light. When I've decided what cable routing I'm going to use then I'll fit the rack.

The grey wouldn't have been my first choice ... although our other tandem (Dawes Super Galaxy circa 1989) is graphite grey, Blue or BRG metallic would have been my choice. However, although described as "Steel Grey" I was expecting something along the lines of plain of battleship grey, what turned up surprised me completely, it's a sparkling metallic grey, I'm not sure a photo can do it justice, but I do agree that grey is certainly subtle.

PH

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 10:07:32 pm »
On the MK II the frame is Powder coated, so the decals have to be fitted after the frame is finished. On the MK III the frame is painted with a 2K basecoat, then the decals are applied, and then the 2K clear coat is applied.
it's not quite as simple as that - My Raven was powder coated and had a topcoat over the decals, though that isn't usual.  My original Mercury was grey Imron, with the decals under a clear coat on the frame and forks, my replacement Mercury (After a crash) is the same paint, but the decals are under on the frame but the fork has them on top (Or did were before I removed most)
I'm not sure what way Thorn are going with this, the comment I quoted from the brochure doesn't seem to be reflected in the reality, or maybe there's a transition period.  When it was discussed previously, feelings were mixed.

leftpoole

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 09:46:02 am »
Fancy buying a bicycle for thousands of pounds and not wanting to 'flaunt' it! Maybe Thorn are ashamed too?
Jest obviously but the principal remains. Advertising on cycles is the way manufacturers sell cycles surely?
John

Aleman

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 11:39:55 am »
Fancy buying a bicycle for thousands of pounds and not wanting to 'flaunt' it! Maybe Thorn are ashamed too?

I suspect Thorn are far from ashamed and I do take your point, but imagine spending thousands of pounds on a bicycle and getting it stolen because you flaunt it??

Quote from: leftpoole
Jest obviously but the principal remains. Advertising on cycles is the way manufacturers sell cycles surely?

I think one of the good things about a tandem is that it's a bit different to ride, so the opportunist is much less likely to attempt to run off with it. Thorn are, unless you are in the know, a supplier of "Niche" bikes, with a distinctive "aesthetic" that not everyone finds desirable (????), as a plus the decals for the twin are pretty subtle, so as I've said I will probably fit the remaining decals ... It's just a shame that neither I nor Robin spotted the oversight of the head badge when we put the order together, and I really can't be bothered to chase it up ... I might get Geoff Moorhouse of Headbadge.co.uk to knock me up a personal one off. ... Something like this

Which is Thorn's hammer Mjolnir embellished with Odins ravens Huginn and Muninn