Author Topic: Mercury in gunmetal grey  (Read 5205 times)

PhilWych

Mercury in gunmetal grey
« on: October 26, 2020, 11:45:37 am »
My new Mercury in gunmetal grey - perhaps a bit blingy with the red Rohloff and dynamo hub / light.
Picture taken in my back garden - next to the pond.

energyman

Re: Mercury in gunmetal grey
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 11:52:35 am »
.....wit matching head light !
Looks excellent.
Happy riding.

Rockymountain

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 05:59:18 pm »
Beautiful - I hope you have many happy miles together

PH

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 06:51:20 pm »
Very nice, though I would say that having made many of the same choices.
The red isn't to my taste, but then why would it be, my idea of bling is polished silver.
What light bracket and front brake do you have?  The clearance between them seems better than I've achieved (There's no problem with that, but I would prefer a bit more) and chance you could do a close up photo?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 07:38:26 pm »
Beautiful bike! Happy trails!

Mike Ayling

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 09:55:02 pm »
Welcome to the Mercury Club!

Mike

PhilWych

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 10:36:01 am »
A close up of the light and bracket - as supplied from Thorn.  I have driven cars with less powerful headlights!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 12:01:15 pm by PhilWych »

PH

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 01:08:13 pm »
A close up of the light and bracket - as supplied from Thorn.  I have driven cars with less powerful headlights!
Thanks for that, yes they're excellent lights (And brakes)  I can't see what's different to mine, is there a spacer between the bracket and the fork?

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 01:16:01 pm »
On a gun metal grey bike, those coordinated touches of red are just right, very tasty. I think that on gun metal grey Paul's favourite polished ali would be in danger of being overlooked as a deliberate statement. Of course, the red is also a thief magnet, whereas the polished ali would take a second look to spot that it is on premium components. Horses for courses: in London I'd choose the polished ali, in Chichester the red!

PhilWych

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 07:55:59 pm »
Hi PH, regarding your spacer question - yes there is a plastic spacer which is approx 7 mm. I did see a photo of your Mercury on the forum and noticed that you have a chainring guard. Did you fit that and if so what are the details - I have ridden mine a couple of times with 'normal' trousers, ie not cycling gear, and ended up with oil on my trousers which is difficult to remove. Thanks - Phil

PH

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 10:18:18 am »
Hi PH, regarding your spacer question - yes there is a plastic spacer which is approx 7 mm. I did see a photo of your Mercury on the forum and noticed that you have a chainring guard. Did you fit that and if so what are the details - I have ridden mine a couple of times with 'normal' trousers, ie not cycling gear, and ended up with oil on my trousers which is difficult to remove. Thanks - Phil
Thanks, I may have another go at refitting my light.
I have the bashguard primarily in order to have a wider Q factor with the pedals further apart than they would be without, it's a personal preference and is enough to stop me from catching my heel on the chainstay.  The chainring is on the middle position and I think (Not positive) it's then a 122mm bottom bracket.  It's a Thorn part and the listing says it can also go outside the triple position with spacers
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainsets/thorn-high-quality-alloy-chainguard-for-110-pcd-rings-up-to-50t-black/

As a trouser guard, it eliminates flapping material getting caught up, but it doesn't do much to keep the dirt/oil off as it's just as likely to brush the chain on the back run.
I'm wearing "normal" trousers for at least half my riding, I always have them out the way, usually with a velcro strap, though occasionally old skool tucked into my socks.

PhilWych

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 11:07:00 am »
 I now realise that it is not as simple as bolting on a chain guard.  I think the velcro strap is the solution - the simple solutions are often the best.
This new photo shows the spacer - hope that helps. As the weather was so good I took the oportunity yesterday to ride to LA (Little 'ampton) and had a bag of chips so undid all the good.

PH

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 11:02:50 am »
This new photo shows the spacer - hope that helps.
Thanks for that, yes very helpful. 

Andre Jute

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 10:30:25 pm »
As an alternative to a spacer, which moves the lamp horizontally forward, I eventually standardised on the B+M 471LH, a fibre-filled rubbery mount which raises the lamp vertically, high enough for its light not to be blocked by the fattest tire you can imagine. It is immensely stable, with none of the micro-tremors found in metal mounts. And long-lasting too. One of mine, bought c2000, is still serving faithfully. Only downside is that it is Bauhaus functional, not bling for bikes that make a tasteful statement -- I doubt the surface will even take and hold paint.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 10:34:05 pm by Andre Jute »