Author Topic: ten years  (Read 8443 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
ten years
« on: October 29, 2020, 03:38:21 am »
My Nomad is coming up to its tenth anniversary, in about a month. I've got around 23,600 miles on it & I expect it'll do that again without any trouble. The bike has been very much what I wanted when I chose it - tough, reliable, practical. I've had it out camping a few times, but much more often it carries an even heavier load - of groceries!

in4

Re: ten years
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 05:27:26 am »
What a great photo-endorsement. A full set of Carradice too. Thanks for the share.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 07:34:29 am »
A great picture of a beautiful bike.
Nice hear it is well used.
My own Raven is also a go anywhere/ do anything kinda bike.
I think we have the same pedals?
Lambda?
I'm on my third set.
More pictures and set-up details would be great.
Cheers from Scotland UK.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

PH

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 01:13:05 pm »
Excellent.  Well done.
I only have one bike I've kept for 10 years and that's my least ridden bike, I still like it, just not as much as the others and if it had more value I'd probably part with it.
I had my Raven 7 for years and would still have it's custom replacement if the frame hadn't cracked after nine years... or maybe not.
Sometimes it's my cycling and usage that's changed, but sometimes it's just the idea of something different. 

PH

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 01:17:31 pm »
Lambda?
I'm on my third set.
I hope that isn't due to problems?
I've recently bought a quick release pair for my folder, not enough mileage yet to decide if I really like them and none in the wet, but they're certainly an improvement on those it had before.

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 01:20:54 pm »
What a great photo-endorsement. [...] Thanks for the share.

+1

energyman

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 04:05:51 pm »
I'm sure there is a bike somewhere in the photo. ! :)
Great picture !

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 04:47:05 pm »
Lambda?
I'm on my third set.
I hope that isn't due to problems?
I've recently bought a quick release pair for my folder, not enough mileage yet to decide if I really like them and none in the wet, but they're certainly an improvement on those it had before.
Lambda: I'm not sure. They take a lot of hard use. The end spindle covers came off and I don't think the bearings can be replaced.
I usually ride in boots and find the surfaces grip well.
Third set in 7 years. I keep going back so something must be right?

John Saxby

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 12:51:56 am »
Good on ya, Jim!  Hope that you and your family are all well amidst The Situation, and give my best regards to the Wasatch Front.

Cheers,  John

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 01:31:46 am »

A less encumbered photo! Some random details... gearing is 38x16. I've probably had the chainglider on five years, maybe a bit more. I put on the Surly chainring to work with the chainglider. I think I've flipped it once. I haven't been very disciplined about replacing chains... my plan is to put on a new chain when I do the oil maintenance, and then maybe the sprockets will last longer. I have the threaded sprocket... I think I'm on my second and haven't flipped it yet. I think I have one more stashed away, & then will have to get the converter thing. Maybe I should stock up while the stocking is good, I don't know.

Tires are Marathon Plus Tour. Ha, today was a first, I spotted what I thought was the plant where goathead thorns come from, I squatted down and explored, yup, goathead thorns! These tires do very well here. I do get flats occasionally, but not very often. I'm on my second set of blue Swiss brake pads for the CSS Andra 30 rims. Probably the wet weather braking is really rotten by now but it barely rains here in the desert!

You might be able to see, with the wire from the headlight to the tail light, I have it wrapped loosely around the fork through those double plates. I found that the tail light wire would tug and pull itself out of the headlight. Hasn't done that since my loose wrap solution was installed!

That's an ABUS Bordo lock on the back of the seat tube at the bottom. I don't leave the bike for long and it's not a high theft area, plus almost nobody has a clue what this bike is all about. The practicality of storing the lock like that, easy on and off, is hard to beat.

That's a Carradice SQR block on the seatpost. Gotta say that support system weighs a ton! But it works! I like the springs on the Brooks Flyer, they save my sit bones when I hit a pot hole or whatever. Mostly I try to get up off the saddle if I see it coming, but sometimes with traffic etc., I have other things on my mind.

They're Thorn comfort bars. I'm on my second set of grips. The first were the Ergon #1 which don't have bar ends. These are the #5 I think - I like the bar ends a lot.

Yeah MKS Lambda pedals. I started off transferring clipless pedals from my previous bike. It was cold weather that got me switching to platforms. I have warm boots, why not wear them?! I am perfectly happy with the platform pedals. I had some different platforms on at first... I think I switched to these for the better grip. I mostly wear 5.10 shoes unless it gets plenty cold.

Thanks for the good wishes, John... between politics and pandemic, what a mess! Utah hit a new record today for new cases. We're up 4x since early September. Hospitals are pretty much full. A mild state of panic seems to be setting in - they broadcast an alert to pretty much all the cell phones in the state! But of course people don't see why they should be inconvenienced... I'm glad to have a bike, to wheel my worries away!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 01:45:40 am by JimK »

Andre Jute

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2020, 09:30:25 am »
Now that's a serious bike.

How have you found the Abus Bordo, Jim? Handling? Durability? Does it mark the frame?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 03:25:09 pm »
To be more specific, it's an ABUS Bordo Granit X-Plus 6500. It probably weighs more than some of those carbon fiber racing bikes! But then, with the Nomad and whatever I carry routinely in my saddlebag and handlebar bag... ha, I should do a photo one day of all that! Anyway, the lock's weight isn't such a large fraction of my total.

The lock folds up and unfolds with delightful ease, and the lock mechanism is trouble-free. The thing is well covered in some rubbery stuff, so there's no threat to paint or anything. The circumference is definitely limited - it can reach a tad more than what a big U-lock can, but just a tad. Generally I use the Sheldon Brown method, i.e. I capture only the rear wheel rim + tire, inside the rear triangle, and tie that with the lock to the bike rack or whatever I can find. Often enough I just lock the wheel to the seat post, so the bike could be carried away... but for a quick dash into here or there, and only someplace I rarely visit - it was the post office and the liquor store, on that trip where I took the first photo at the top of this topic.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 04:42:09 pm »
Great picture, again. Can't see enough of a bike like that.
Love the info on the set up.
My rings are 38/17. Spin a bit on the flat but great for loaded inclines.

Your last sentence about your trip to the liquor store reminds me of the guy who cycled to his local store to buy a bottle of vodka. Just as he was about to set off home with it, it occurred to him that if he fell off, he'd break the bottle.
So he decided to drink it.
He proved his concern because, yes, he fell off on the way home!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2020, 07:05:14 pm »
I wouldn't mind gearing down a bit from the 38x16. I use the full range, but #14 usually hmmm above about 25mph. We've got some inclines here on the Wasatch Front!

Andre Jute

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2020, 10:23:24 pm »
Thanks for the info on the Bordo, Jim. I have its sibling, the biggest 54 Abus Granit X D-lock, that I used to carry on a quick release just under the saddle so I could use it to threaten SUVs that crowd me in the lanes. But I hardly ever used it as a lock because my n'lock stem has a cable in the handlebar that pulls out, encircles a pole or whatever's available and then locks into the stem -- enough deterrent in a low-crime area without too many trucks that could carry the bike away. So I started leaving it off to save the weight, as you say, heavier than a carbon frame!

Again, your bike really looks the business.