Author Topic: New Mercury  (Read 1602 times)

PH

New Mercury
« on: September 20, 2020, 08:55:00 pm »
Meet the new Merc, much like the old Merc

new-merc by Paul, on Flickr

This Rohloff is now in it's forth frame, three of them Thorns, the front dynamo hub is now on it's sixth bike!
Other than that, I've made some minor changes and upped the tyre size and it's as it was.  I'll try not to ride this one into the back if a car, I have other bikes for that.

energyman

Re: New Mercury
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 09:14:45 pm »
That says a lot about quality of Rohloffs and dynahubs.
It always pays to buy the best !

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 06:18:38 pm »
Looks about the perfect set up to me. Awesome bike!

How do you find the computer mount on the stem cap?  What is that handlebar bag?

PH

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 10:26:30 pm »
Looks about the perfect set up to me. Awesome bike!
Thanks, if I don't know what I like by now there's no hope... The previous one was pretty close, but I took advantage of the swap to tweak it a little.
How do you find the computer mount on the stem cap?  What is that handlebar bag?
The Garmin top cap - I'm not sure, I've had the same on another bike for a while, but that has longer top tube and shorter stem, on the Merc I catch it with my knee occasionally. I'm not sure whether I'll learn not to or give up first.  The nice thing about it is it's unobtrusive when the Garmin isn't fitted.  Not as nice as an out front mount if not using a bar bag, it's less in your field of view.
the bar bag is an Ortlieb Compact, bought secondhand a couple of years ago and I like it, though it looks like a handbag when not attached to the bike.

Swislon

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 09:40:08 am »
Lovely looking bike Paul.
Of course it would have looked better in Blue if only I had been quick enough! 😢