Author Topic: Wheel builder needed  (Read 2673 times)

Janner

Wheel builder needed
« on: August 29, 2020, 09:08:36 am »
Hi everyone.

I am the second owner of a 2005 Thorn Raven with 500/14 speedhub. Rims are worn both front and back although I can probably get just a bit more mileage from the rear as its not as bad as the front. I have ordered a complete new front wheel from SJSCycles so problem solved.
Due to Covid, Thorn are not building wheels at the moment.

I have ordered all the parts for the rear (rim, spokes, flange support rings) so I at least have them ready.
Can anyone recommend an experienced Rohloff wheel builder who could rebuild my rear wheel?

Many thanks

PH

Re: Wheel builder needed
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 11:49:07 am »
Might help to say where you are.
Or Google Rohloff dealers, followed by their reputation, I can think of several I would trust based on those two things even though I have no experience of them.

Tiberius

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 05:33:50 pm »
Worth a try.https://www.keeppedalling.co.uk/

They did a good job of building my Rohloff rear/SON front last year.. I have no idea of their current Covid position.

Janner

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 07:52:03 pm »
Thanks. Forgot to add I am in Cornwall.

PH

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 09:18:12 pm »
Thanks. Forgot to add I am in Cornwall.
Can't think of anywhere that far south, though in Bristol there's Ryan Builds Wheels, who has an excellent reputation, though I don't know of his Rohloff experience.
https://www.ryanbuildswheels.co.uk/custom-hand-built-bicycle-wheels/

leftpoole

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 02:14:42 pm »
Hi everyone.

I am the second owner of a 2005 Thorn Raven with 500/14 speedhub. Rims are worn both front and back although I can probably get just a bit more mileage from the rear as its not as bad as the front. I have ordered a complete new front wheel from SJSCycles so problem solved.
Due to Covid, Thorn are not building wheels at the moment.

I have ordered all the parts for the rear (rim, spokes, flange support rings) so I at least have them ready.
Can anyone recommend an experienced Rohloff wheel builder who could rebuild my rear wheel?

Many thanks

It may 'pay' to try SJSC again because I am told they are still building but 'off site'. In other words the wheelbuilder is Isolating but still building.
As I say, try again.
John

Aleman

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 12:31:41 pm »
SJSC built me a pair of wheels in July/August, but that was as part of a complete Raven Twin purchase

Janner

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 09:40:02 pm »
No one local to me that I know of. I can understand the importance of correct lacing positioning of the spokes in relation to the hub is crucial and that tension/truing the wheel takes skill and experience. Information on correct spoke place placement for Rohloff is widely available. Considering lacing the rim to the hub myself then take the wheel to a local experienced wheel builder to complete final tension and truing?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 07:32:24 am by Janner »

PH

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 11:33:17 am »
No one local to me that I know of. I can understand the importance of correct lacing positioning of the spokes in relation to the hub is crucial and that tension/truing the wheel takes skill and experience. Information on correct spoke place placement for Rohloff is widely available. Considering lacing the rim to the hub myself then take the wheel to a local experienced wheel builder to complete final tension and truing?
Yes, there's no reason why a competent wheel builder, following the instructions, won't make a good job of it.
However, Thorn's wheelbuilding is different from what is in the Rohloff manual, there's a post from them on here stressing that everything they do is with Rohloff's consent, but you may find another wheelbuilder reluctant to go down that route.  Which is better I wouldn't know, Thorn haven't said why they decided to build like that, they don't need too, they stand behind what they do and offer far better warranty terms than anyone else.
It did leave me with a dilemma when I bought another hub recently, I would have much preferred Thorn to build it, but it wasn't an option.  So my choice was the follow the manual or copy the wheel I have from Thorn.  I did the latter, but it isn't without risk!

Janner

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 08:30:42 pm »
Thanks. I have been reading that post. Confusing. I like the idea of rebuilding my wheel that way it is, presumably how it came from Thorn.

PH

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 09:16:30 pm »
Thanks. I have been reading that post. Confusing. I like the idea of rebuilding my wheel that way it is, presumably how it came from Thorn.
Sorry, my error, I misread your post and was thinking new hub. 
Yes, rebuild as it already has been any competent wheel builder will be able to do that for you.